News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Factory looking volt meter

Started by 440, August 17, 2018, 07:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does anyone make a factory looking volt meter to replace the ammeter? It hasn't given me any problems yet but I remember it used to sway wildly before I tore the dash apart. I don't want to take a chance....

If you do the volt meter conversion is it still "safe-ish" to just bolt the amp gauge terminals together or better to modify the wiring to take the full load off the bulkhead connector?

sixpactogo

I sent my 68 Charger gauge cluster to Redline gauges. They cleaned, repaired and re faced all of my gauges. I had them replace my amp gauge with a Volt meter. They use the old amp gauge to create a volt meter and re face it to read volts instead of amp.  You will need to tie both of the red and black wires together to eliminate the amp gauge. I soldered them together and added a 14 gauge wire making a 3 wire termination and landed the 14 gauge wire to my new volt meter.  Hope this makes sense.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Birdflu

Funny you should bring this up...almost lost our '69 Bee a couple of weeks ago due to a faulty ammeter.  :flame: Toasted the 'load' wire all the way through the engine harness...through the bulkhead connector...through 'both' ammeter studs...back through the bulkhead connector. Found out NOBODY offers a bolt-in voltmeter conversion. Yes, Redline and Instrument Specialties will convert the gauge only by sending them your cluster. After a phone conversation with both companies, I decided to send out the cluster to Thomas at Instrument Specialties ($175 parts and labor for the conversion). The attached image is what their voltmeter looks like. While the cluster is out, I'll be removing the 'load' wire from the bulkhead connector and burying a charge wire in the engine harness from the alternator to the starter relay.

PS - Of course the pic wouldn't upload to this forum!  :brickwall: 

Birdflu

Try again...

Lennard

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on August 17, 2018, 07:25:53 PM
Several of us made our own here....Dino lead the way!

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,108698.0.html
$25 and you're done.  :2thumbs:  (Looks exactly like the one pictured above)

Dino

Dang that was over 4 years ago? Time sure flies!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Lots of fine looking examples here, not sure I have the skill to pull it off though :lol:

Lennard

Quote from: 440 on August 19, 2018, 09:29:00 AM
Lots of fine looking examples here, not sure I have the skill to pull it off though :lol:
It's really simple. Even I managed to make one after going through Dino's topic.
I didn't want to send out my complete gauge cluster and pay $145  for something I can do at home for about $25.

igozumn

I did a couple of them.  Just make sure when you glue the needle on, you get it in the right position to match the other gauges.  First pic shows a "short" needle.  Second one shows the correct positioning.

A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

Birdflu