News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new b pillar help :( [correction: a pillar]

Started by Dreamcar, August 18, 2018, 06:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

OK, so I'm in the process of redoing work that I was not happy with, and I'm again replacing the b pillar posts. As you can see in the picture (see red arrow), the rubber weatherstripping on the door will not touch the bottom corner on the b-pillar. I've adjusted the door as much as I can, and that's the closest I can get it. There's still a gap  :'(

Has anyone replaced their b-pillars and had that problem? I haven't welded them in so there's time to fix, but I'm running out of ideas. Any help, experience, pictures, anything, is appreciated. What does your weather stripping look like?
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

JB400

No answer for your issue, but one I should look out for.

I did want to clarify that the a pillar is in front of the door, b pillar is behind the door, and c pillar is behind the quarter window.

Mike DC

How is the fit of that repro pillar panel in general?  Any complaints? 

Dreamcar

Quote from: JB400 on August 18, 2018, 11:00:08 PM
No answer for your issue, but one I should look out for.

I did want to clarify that the a pillar is in front of the door, b pillar is behind the door, and c pillar is behind the quarter window.

You're right. Oops   :rofl:
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

Dreamcar

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 19, 2018, 02:46:16 AM

How is the fit of that repro pillar panel in general?  Any complaints? 

Its a very solid, heavy piece. With the exception of that curved area, I would say its a good. AMD does not make them, so these are about all you can get, which is unfortunate because I try to stick with  AMD. I noticed a few years back that one factory makes many pieces that are non-AMD but sold under various names.

Someone on Facebook told me they had this same problem, and some slicing and metal filling in that bottom curved area is necessary. Damn, I though I was done making relief cuts. :brickwall:

green69rt

I don't know if this helps any but here is that area on my car.  The first two pics show the line that the seal sits against when the door is closed and the third pic shows the seal.  I can't think of a solution to your problem, should fit... :shruggy:

Dreamcar

Quote from: green69rt on August 19, 2018, 09:17:06 AM
I don't know if this helps any but here is that area on my car.  The first two pics show the line that the seal sits against when the door is closed and the third pic shows the seal.  I can't think of a solution to your problem, should fit... :shruggy:

Thanks for this. The seal does look a little different. Im getting a chance to compare with another car in person soon so ill take measurements/make a template to compare with. Ill post what I figure out.

green69rt

I was looking at the picture of your car.  Is your door adjusted correctly?  The bottom of the door looks like it stands away from the rocker.  Maybe it's just the camera angle.

Dreamcar

Quote from: green69rt on August 19, 2018, 01:58:47 PM
I was looking at the picture of your car.  Is your door adjusted correctly?  The bottom of the door looks like it stands away from the rocker.  Maybe it's just the camera angle.

In that picture, yes its out a little. But the problem persists even when the door is correctly positioned.

Dreamcar

Just a final update on this...I went and compared with an original car and brought the pillar post with me...the bottom corner of the repro is off, and you will need to cut, stretch, and fill in the gap to make the door rubber seal on the post.

Mike DC

It might be easier to weld a hand-fabbed patch piece onto the top of the repro piece in the shallow area.  Just build the area up without cutting into the repro piece itself.

green69rt

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 25, 2018, 09:32:51 PM

It might be easier to weld a hand-fabbed patch piece onto the top of the repro piece in the shallow area.  Just build the area up without cutting into the repro piece itself.

Good idea, that's what I did to correct a profile problem on the cowl of my car.  Yours might be a little more complicated but no more so than trying to cut and stretch the existing metal.

Dreamcar

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 25, 2018, 09:32:51 PM

It might be easier to weld a hand-fabbed patch piece onto the top of the repro piece in the shallow area.  Just build the area up without cutting into the repro piece itself.

Adding a patch on top would not have helped in my case. The curved area needs to come out and go back, essentially changing the profile of the curve as well. The only way for me to do it was to cut, pry the cut open and pull towards the rear, then fill the gap with new metal. It worked out in my case and the rubber now touches the pillar.

Dreamcar

Just thought I'd show what I did to fix the issue, which was the same for each new pillar post. Now the gaskets on the door seal the area as they should. During this process, I must have test fit the doors 6-7 times as I would weld a little, test fit the door, grind down the weld, repeat. A little skim coat of filler to smooth it out and done.