News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How fast are we moving?

Started by b5blue, August 28, 2018, 08:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

So I'm going 60 mph due east. The Earth is spinning how fast? Then our orbit, how much is that speed wise?  :scratchchin: But then our solar system rotates in the Milky Way and that itself is making a bee line dash towards "The Great Attraction" far off in the Universe so in the end we must all be hauling butt. The faster you go the more time slows they say. (So now I know why I'm stuck in the past.  :lol:)

John_Kunkel

How fast the Earth is spinning depends on your line of latitude.

https://www.vcalc.com/wiki/MichaelBartmess/Rotational+Speed+at+Latitude

Orbital speed is about 67,000 mph and the solar system speed is 514,000 mph so do the math for your specific location.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

Hey cool sight, thanks John!  :2thumbs:

flyinlow

Right now as I type this my house is going to the east about 795 MPH. It is also slowly turning left and slowly pitching down ( a term car drivers don't normally think about)  This explains the dizziness.

alfaitalia

Mehh!.....all peanuts and pretty insignificant compared to the fact we are moving at about 1.3 million miles an hour.....along with the rest of our Milky Way galaxy!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

flyinlow

Quote from: alfaitalia on September 10, 2018, 06:56:07 AM
Mehh!.....all peanuts and pretty insignificant compared to the fact we are moving at about 1.3 million miles an hour.....along with the rest of our Milky Way galaxy!!

Are you sure?

I live in Ohio. "The Heart of it All " according to our license plates. So I prefer to assume I am the center of the Universe and all things are approaching or receding from me.

Dino

Quote from: flyinlow on September 10, 2018, 11:36:33 AM
Quote from: alfaitalia on September 10, 2018, 06:56:07 AM

Are you sure?

I live in Ohio. "The Heart of it All " according to our license plates. So I prefer to assume I am the center of the Universe and all things are approaching or receding from me.

Hmmm how shall I put this...   :scratchchin:   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

alfaitalia

....you mean like my Uncle Bob!!!?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Polygon

So I'll add to this discussion. At the equator we are moving a whole lot faster than at the poles. And yet gravity is the same.
www.lostinspaceforum.com

If you like the old TV show, Lost In Space, check out my page

flyinlow

At a given distance from the earths center of gravity, lets say 4000 miles ,the pull of gravity would be equal at the pole or on the equator. However, the earth has a slight equatorial bulge. (so do I unfortunately) So on the equator you slightly farther from the center of gravity. Slightly less pull .9999 G instead of 1.0000 G. Centrifugal force at the equator offsets the pull of gravity very slightly also. So I would weigh a ounce or two less in Equator than in Ohio.

Chad L. Magee

I will put a new twist on this topic:

Per the Special Theory of Relativity (E=mc^2), the light energy (Electromagnetic Radiation) that makes up your particles of matter are traveling at the speed of light in a very specific way.  The same could be said if you were made up of anti-matter, just the light momentum directionality would be going in opposite directions.
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

70 sublime

So all you smart people on this subject

Say on October 1 I lay flat on my back at high noon and look towards the sun ( with sun glasses on )
My left hand is pointing north and my right is pointing south
I am north of the equator but that should not make any difference

If the solar system is traveling 514 000 mph which direction am I going 514 000 mph ???
Towards the sun ?
Away from the sun ?
To my left ?
To my right ?
To my east ( towards my feet when laying down )
To my west ?????????
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

JB400

You're going counter clockwise around the sun

b5blue

The conundrum is "speed" is a reference of/in "space" and "time". (The distance covered in a time frame) "Spacetime" is a singular reference. If time is variable (Proven) it's like racing a guy with a faster clock than yours. He will always be slower at the same speed as you!  :eek2:

70 sublime

I thought there was a number for the solar system in total was moving or expanding
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 25, 2018, 06:08:40 PM

Say on October 1 I lay flat on my back at high noon and look towards the sun ( with sun glasses on )

If the solar system is traveling 514 000 mph which direction am I going 514 000 mph ???
Towards the sun ?
Away from the sun ?
To my left ?
To my right ?
To my west ?????????

I will try to answer the question that you posed, but I am not an astronomer by any means.

The solar system that we are in revolves around the center of the Milky Way galaxy.  We are at a roughly 60 degree tilt to this axis out of its plane.  So if you propose doing that experiment as you mentioned, you would have to flip your body around and face the Earth to be pointed in an orientation towards the center of the galaxy.  You would then have to be looking to the North East (I think?) to be able to "see" it (but you can't due to the Earth being in your way and of course the sunlight pouring into our atmosphere). Your experiment would work much better at the middle of the night where you could really see the stars within the galaxy (and you would not have to flip over to stare at the ground).
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

flyinlow

Quote from: JB400 on September 26, 2018, 02:24:33 AM
You're going counter clockwise around the sun

Yes , if you could  view the solar  system for above the Sun's and Earth's north poles ( one of the Voyagers is kind a up there) the planets would orbit counter clock wise. Six of the eight planets spin on their axis counter clockwise when viewed from above.

flyinlow

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 25, 2018, 06:08:40 PM

Towards the sun ?
Away from the sun ?
To my left ?
To my right ?
To my west ?????????

Give me a vector ...Victor.

At 45*N latitude you head would be following your feet around the planet to the east at about 700mph. Facing the Sun at noon the rotational speed vector is opposite the earth's 66,600 mph hour orbital vector. So overall your head is leading your feet west (by your point of view) at 65,900 mph.

The earth's axis is 23* from the solar system disk. That skews it slightly.

The Sun's orbit around  the Milky Way vector is much larger than any vector in the solar system ( yes, including Hemi powered vehicles) ,so that is the predominant direction of travel.

Todd Wilson