News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Floor pan replacement

Started by venecharger, September 05, 2018, 11:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

venecharger

Hi, What's the right way to fit the new floor pan to the crossmember? Any other advice to install the floor pan the best way? Thanks!

venecharger

Another view...

72Charger72

Dreamcar

I punched holes in the pan and plug welded near the factory spots. The cross member doesnt touch the pan on the sides of the tunnel, only at the top (where the shifter brackets go) and the flat sections. If yours is bowing upwards, im thinking your pan may be too wide and you may need to trim the sides slightly. I post pics later tonight. 
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Mike DC

Weld the low parts first, like on the tranny crossmember.  Then do the outer edges.  If you do the perimeter edges at the rockers first then the metal can move around and pull the pan away from the lower areas where it's supposed to be welded down.  

Dreamcar

The line of plug welds follows the cross-member underneath the floor pan. No welds on the sides of the tunnel.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

venecharger

Quote from: Dreamcar on September 05, 2018, 07:11:31 PM
The line of plug welds follows the cross-member underneath the floor pan. No welds on the sides of the tunnel.

Excellent, thanks! So perhaps it would be a good idea to start welding at the center upper side over the crossmember and then folding down the floor pan in a "center-to-sides" direction, massaging the pan as needed to make it fit inside its perimeter.

Dreamcar

Quote from: venecharger on September 06, 2018, 06:46:41 PM
Quote from: Dreamcar on September 05, 2018, 07:11:31 PM

Excellent, thanks! So perhaps it would be a good idea to start welding at the center upper side over the crossmember and then folding down the floor pan in a "center-to-sides" direction, massaging the pan as needed to make it fit inside its perimeter.

Yes, i think that would be best. Then, if the sides need a slight trim, its still easy to do. Good luck.