News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sad. But our old cars are going to mean nothing.

Started by ACUDANUT, September 06, 2018, 04:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chgrSE

I don't think the young dudes would be into the upkeep and low MPGs of our old cars if they actully owned one but literally every time I drive my old '73 they snap pics and shout nice car! Usually get a few people asking if I wanna sell it and how much? Or the occasional guy in a 5.0 or Civic that wants to race.  (watch out for those Civics)

AMAZINGLY Even people my age sometimes don't know what model it is. I have had people call it a GTO and a Challenger recently.

funknut

Very few daily drive 60s and 70s muscle cars, so why bother comparing modern muscle with 400+ HP that will run for 200k miles on basic maintenance, with AC and all the modern conveniences, to our older cars?

They are, for the most part, good-weather, weekend toys.  When the younger generation has time/money/space for a weekend-only car they'll be in the market for something like these cars.

But keep in mind the 2nd gen Charger you bought 25 years ago for sub-$2000 doesn't exist.  If they want to get into the classic car hobby cheap, they will be shopping for something else.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 73chgrSE on September 27, 2019, 07:55:29 AM
I don't think the young dudes would be into the upkeep and low MPGs of our old cars if they actully owned one but literally every time I drive my old '73 they snap pics and shout nice car! Usually get a few people asking if I wanna sell it and how much? Or the occasional guy in a 5.0 or Civic that wants to race.  (watch out for those Civics)

AMAZINGLY Even people my age sometimes don't know what model it is. I have had people call it a GTO and a Challenger recently.

Young dudes can't figure out how to start a cold engine with full fuel bowls, never mind fuel bowls that have gone dry.

Ponch ®

Quote from: funknut on September 27, 2019, 08:41:38 AM
Very few daily drive 60s and 70s muscle cars, so why bother comparing modern muscle with 400+ HP that will run for 200k miles on basic maintenance, with AC and all the modern conveniences, to our older cars?

They are, for the most part, good-weather, weekend toys.  When the younger generation has time/money/space for a weekend-only car they'll be in the market for something like these cars.

But keep in mind the 2nd gen Charger you bought 25 years ago for sub-$2000 doesn't exist.  If they want to get into the classic car hobby cheap, they will be shopping for something else.

Yup. My 74 Charger sat in my mom's driveway throughout my 20's while I was broke and trying to get through school. I was all about the modern Chargers/Challengers during that time, because I could play with them and drive them every day. It wasn't til I was in a better place (early 30's) that I was able to get a "weekend" car that I could afford to own/maintain.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on September 27, 2019, 10:01:14 AM
Quote from: 73chgrSE on September 27, 2019, 07:55:29 AM

Young dudes can't figure out how to start a cold engine with full fuel bowls, never mind fuel bowls that have gone dry.

Well said.  :2thumbs:

73chgrSE

Well hopefully my son won't be one of those kids. He enjoys helping me work on the Charger. I hope it sticks.

odcics2

A whole lotta leasing going on these days.   :yesnod:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

BSB67

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 06, 2018, 04:28:18 PM
The current generation of (18-25) and earlier ages only see cars as a means of transportation.  Take a look of the vehicles on the road today. Toyotas are Kia's are killing us.  These kids could care a less about  old muscle cars and the old saying of "buy American, be American is gone)...Japan's motto is (Buy Japan "be Japanese")...Where has our world gone.  We have failed. PEROID.
JAPAN is killing us and no one seems to cares anymore. :brickwall:

Japan, really?  Probably not in the top 10 countries to worry about.

I have 3 kids in their 20s.  None of the care about cars.  Thank goodness.

I really like my cars, but my time with them is limited.  After that, I don't really care what happens to them.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

ACUDANUT

Yes Japan. (Toyotas, Honda's, Subaru's .ect)  Yeah most are made here, because... (no import tax), and they are all over the road and in your face. Problem is, they are making money on American backs and growing stronger. Hell they are even Hurting John Deere and other American Companies with Jap Tractors.  They own those companies and making a killing, and killing our economy....If you have ever lived in Japan (like I have)  you would notice they are 99 percent more loyal to their Brands and Country, than we are to ours. Shame.  :brickwall:

Mike DC

QuoteYes Japan. (Toyotas, Honda's, Subaru's .ect)  Yeah most are made here, because... (no import tax), and they are all over the road and in your face. Problem is, they are making money on American backs and growing stronger. Hell they are even Hurting John Deere and other American Companies with Jap Tractors.  They own those companies and making a killing, and killing our economy....If you have ever lived in Japan (like I have)  you would notice they are 99 percent more loyal to their Brands and Country, than we are to ours. Shame.  brickwall

Detroit in the 1970s:  "You don't really want that Jap crap, do you?  Be serious!"

Detroit in the 1980s:  "Okay, we admit that a few years ago our stuff was inferior to the Jap crap.  But not anymore.  Give us another chance." 

Detroit in the 1990s:  "Okay, we admit that a few years ago our stuff was inferior to the Jap crap.  But not anymore.  Give us another chance." 

Detroit in the 2000s:  "Okay, we admit that a few years ago our stuff was inferior to the Jap crap.  But not anymore.  Give us another chance."

Detroit in the 2010s:  "Okay, we admit that a few years ago our stuff was inferior to the Jap crap.  But not anymore.  Give us another chance."

The US public got tired of this game and wised up. 

Can you blame them?

alfaitalia

Don't worry about the Japanese cars stealing your market share.....that's nothing compared to the full on assault of Chinese cars that's going to flood the world. Already started here with MG Cars (now a Chinese company with cars made in China....Mr Morris (Morris Garages) would spin in his grave if he knew his name was on those cheap boxes!!) and Great Wall cars etc. They are not great yet....but we all said that about Japanese Bikes 50 years ago...then they killed the UK bike industry....our own fault for not responding and building better bikes.....and now they dominate the World....fairly enough...because they are the best.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

myk

All we are is dust in the wind.  Just enjoy it until you are inevitably blown away into infinity...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

I'm more concerned about electric cars and autonomous cars.  The way the fear mongering is gong with governments at all levels declaring climate emergencies, how long can it be until they big brother us for the sake of survival and mandate what we drive.

alfaitalia

....you mean like has already happened here. Its even more expensive to drive high polluting cars here than econo boxes and from 2042 the sales of ALL new petrol and diesel powered cars will be prohibited. 10% of all car sales in the UK will be all-electric this year. Luckily this is not retrospective so old/classic cars will still be allowed on the road.....and at the moment classic car owners (40 years plus) are exempt from all the environmentally led tax hikes.....and it looks set to continue like that.....to many classic car owning politicians!....luckily!!!

73chgrSE

Here stateside in Georgia, 25 year or older cars are exempt from emissions testing and property taxes on mine are less than $2 per year!! Tag is $20 though. Insurance is also cheap on old cars. But gas though...... :flame:

Mike DC

QuoteHere stateside in Georgia, 25 year or older cars are exempt from emissions testing and property taxes on mine are less than $2 per year!! Tag is $20 though. Insurance is also cheap on old cars. But gas though...... flame

Meh.

Is gas more expensive than we want it to be?  Yeah.
Is it very expensive in the big picture?  No. 

We just have unrealistic demands because we like burning it so much. 

odcics2

Quote from: Ghoste on October 01, 2019, 06:42:45 AM
I'm more concerned about electric cars and autonomous cars.  The way the fear mongering is gong with governments at all levels declaring climate emergencies, how long can it be until they big brother us for the sake of survival and mandate what we drive.

YEAH!!!

How can you charge up your car with 4 feet of snow on the ground in late September in Montana, and the power is out???   :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ponch ®

how long can it be until they big brother us for the sake of survival and mandate what we drive.

hate to tell you this, but we're already being Big Brothered to hell for the sake of survival/safety/"patriotism" on things far scarier than what we drive.

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Ghoste

I fully agree Ponch.  I was merely making the point from an automotive angle.

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on October 01, 2019, 01:38:23 PM

YEAH!!!

How can you charge up your car with 4 feet of snow on the ground in late September in Montana, and the power is out???   :shruggy:

I recently was passed a photo of Rivian's employee parking lot.       The charging stations were empty.   

Ponch ®

electric cars wont take over bc of some government conspiracy, but bc theyre getting better and more efficient than ICE powered cars.

My daily driver is a Chevy Volt. IDGAF about "saving the earth". My commute is 140 miles round trip, plus 200-400 mile work trips once or twice a week. I get 40-45 mpg. If im just driving it around town, I can go days without using a single drop of fuel. Was close to going with a Tesla Model 3 but felt like I needed the safety net of the hybrid mode given how much I drive.

The Satellite comes out once or twice on weekends. The '19 Daytona is basically my toy. No one forced me to, other than not wanting to spend a good chunk of my income on fuel.

alfaitalia

Fair enough....but considering how right they got the look of the Model S...that Model 3 is U-G-L-Y.....especially at the front. Had one behind me on the way to work today. I made sure he stayed behind so he could smell the beautiful diesel particulates coming from my 150,000 mile much thrashed (and usually towing) Ford Ranger pick up!

ramairthree

Quote from: Ponch ® on December 11, 2018, 06:57:06 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on December 10, 2018, 11:50:15 PM
Just like our situation...We have more to lose by looking the other way than we do by securing funds to stop these criminal assholes.

It don't matter. Hate to break the news, but there's already enough of us "anchor babies" and mongrel people here that'll be taking over in a couple of generations anyway. Forget about the criminals...worry about those of us with advanced degrees and money.

Taco trucks in every corner indeed!  :lol:

The brilliant guy with an  MD from UNAM that H1B'd a fifth pathway residency slot in America, that met and married the architect from UAG while she was visiting family in San Antonio, and they raise a nice family,pay taxes, go to mass, and fit right in and kick ass are not the problem.  It's exactly who we want immigrating.  The most highly educated and productive wave of immigration as a whole we ever had were professionals leaving Cuba.

People like a buddy I was in 7th Group with whose family came from Spain and have the same ranch - since before it was America, Texas, Mexico, etc. might not be cool with Mexico claiming their property.

426HemiChick

Quote from: Ponch ® on October 02, 2019, 11:57:12 AM
electric cars wont take over bc of some government conspiracy, but bc theyre getting better and more efficient than ICE powered cars.

My daily driver is a Chevy Volt. IDGAF about "saving the earth". My commute is 140 miles round trip, plus 200-400 mile work trips once or twice a week. I get 40-45 mpg. If im just driving it around town, I can go days without using a single drop of fuel. Was close to going with a Tesla Model 3 but felt like I needed the safety net of the hybrid mode given how much I drive.

The Satellite comes out once or twice on weekends. The '19 Daytona is basically my toy. No one forced me to, other than not wanting to spend a good chunk of my income on fuel.

Hi Ponch,             30 August 2021

A quick question:

What is the primary source of the electricity used to charge your electric/hybrid vehicle(s)? It has to come from somewhere and something and who pays for it?

Personally, we do not want electric vehicles for ourselves. If'n you want them, that's fine by us. We just don't cotton the idea of our money being used in Fueling/Recharging other folk's green hallucination.

California has shut down most of their Nuclear Power stations and plan to close their only remaining active Reactor, Diablo Canyon in 2025. They do get power from the Palo Verde Nuclear Power station here in Arizona, which has three independent reactors. They can't close it, they can only sell their share of ownership. We in Arizona would love for them to do that because we would buy it.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Kern Dog

I actually agree with that.
By the way....Ponch hasn't been around in awhile.