News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What would you offer?

Started by Birdflu, September 08, 2018, 12:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdflu

Well...just throwing this out there...

What would you guys be willing to pay for this original door off Big Willy's Daytona? It's just a cool piece of history that I wouldn't mind hanging in our bar/hobby room. A buddy of mine has it and he's probably willing to let it go, but is requiring an offer from me. Yeah, I know, it's worth whatever it's worth. Just looking for some opinions on what you guys would be willing to pay for wall art.  :shruggy:

JB400

With no signature or documentation, $100.  another door off a used car, and priced as such.

cudavic

No insult however I think $100 dollars is a rather weak offer, heck a good charger door should bring at least double that.
My thought is it is worth around $500 how you get there with haggling back and forth remains to be seen by someone.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: JB400 on September 08, 2018, 01:52:27 AM
With no signature or documentation, $100.  another door off a used car, and priced as such.

I'd have to agree, just a used door, $100 as it's probably just a shell, I never could understand the fascination with the autograph/memorabilia/graffiti "thing" on cars or car parts... :scratchchin: :shruggy:  

rob-dirt

you might make him mad by saying 100 ..........  i think 500.00 is a fair offer  :2thumbs:

qwick68

Hmmmmm tough one, yea its worth whatever you wanna pay is correct, I mean if you want it that bad maybe 500-1000, all depends how bad you want it and what it means to you. Very cool piece thats for sure!
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

hemi-hampton

$500 WAS THE FIRST PRICE THAT CAME TO MIND. LEON.

Y1CHARGER

Looks to be a Clean and Rust free Charger door.  It's funny that people say it's worth $100 but these same people would never sell a clean rust free door shell for $100.   AMD door shells sell for $700 and I've seen good clean original charger doors shells sell for $400-$500.  It will always be worth what a Clean and Rust free Charger door is worth and it's an added bonus if it's worth little more for the history.

chubby53

I'd paid a grand , just cost so much to freight to uk , would be nice next to the old race nose from my car

62 Max

Quote from: DAY CLONA on September 08, 2018, 08:32:31 AM
Quote from: JB400 on September 08, 2018, 01:52:27 AM

I'd have to agree, just a used door, $100 as it's probably just a shell, I never could understand the fascination with the autograph/memorabilia/graffiti "thing" on cars or car parts... :scratchchin: :shruggy:  

This!! :Twocents:

Alaskan_TA

Some people have no appreciation for history.

If I saw it at a swap meet for $300.00 or so, I'd bring it home.

Lennard

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on September 09, 2018, 01:16:53 PM

I agree.  $300 would be a fair price.

odcics2

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on September 09, 2018, 01:16:53 PM

Agreed. 

:cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

C500

I was thinking up to $1000. $100 is a steal, authenticated or not.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Davtona

So this is a door off the car that was in the American Racing Wheels ad in Car Craft in October 1970. Is that correct??

Alaskan_TA

Aero426

Quote from: qwick68 on September 08, 2018, 10:52:28 AM
Hmmmmm tough one, yea its worth whatever you wanna pay is correct, I mean if you want it that bad maybe 500-1000, all depends how bad you want it and what it means to you. Very cool piece thats for sure!

Agree completely.   How do you put a price on a 1 of 1 item?      I realize Big Willie is not Richard Petty.   But he has a legacy and a following, especially to someone who might have met him.   Short of buying the complete car, what other Big Willie memorabilia is out there?   There are enough photos of the car before restoration to document that door.    

Last time I checked, the diecast models of BW's cars were selling for more than $100. 

Aero426

Quote from: Davtona on September 09, 2018, 06:34:21 PM
So this is a door off the car that was in the American Racing Wheels ad in Car Craft in October 1970. Is that correct??

That should be the King Daytona.     

WINGIN IT

Dumb question, but wasn't this  car restored?
If so why wasn't this door used in the resto??

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: WINGIN IT on September 10, 2018, 09:09:07 AM

Yup back to oem sadly.

Aero426

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on September 10, 2018, 01:16:26 PM
Quote from: WINGIN IT on September 10, 2018, 09:09:07 AM

Yup back to oem sadly.

It was restored to the lettered up "race configuration".

I asked the same question about the door being separated from the car.     Had it been used, the original lettering would be gone.   I guess someone wanted a souvenir.   

Finn

Im not sure what to think anymore, at the last mopar show I went to someone wanted $450 for an original Tuff wheel, so going off that I think 500 for an entire door with cool history seems pretty reasonable for an art piece.

Personally, I would top out at 250. Coolness aside the fact of the matter is it would probably get hung up and collect dust until someone else offered me money for it. Im still trying to expand my tool inventory so the garage-art funds are limited. Very neat piece though, thanks for posting pictures and good luck!
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

hemi-hampton

I wonder if the other door was used in the resto? maybe 2 doors available :scratchchin:

Birdflu

Quote from: Aero426 on September 10, 2018, 03:13:19 PM
It was restored to the lettered up "race configuration".

I asked the same question about the door being separated from the car.     Had it been used, the original lettering would be gone.   I guess someone wanted a souvenir.   

Doug, you're exactly correct! The door was kept as a souvenir since the original lettering was going to be lost during the restoration.

Birdflu

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 10, 2018, 05:49:05 PM
I wonder if the other door was used in the resto? maybe 2 doors available :scratchchin:

Only one was kept... :-\