News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What would you offer?

Started by Birdflu, September 08, 2018, 12:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdflu

Well...just throwing this out there...

What would you guys be willing to pay for this original door off Big Willy's Daytona? It's just a cool piece of history that I wouldn't mind hanging in our bar/hobby room. A buddy of mine has it and he's probably willing to let it go, but is requiring an offer from me. Yeah, I know, it's worth whatever it's worth. Just looking for some opinions on what you guys would be willing to pay for wall art.  :shruggy:

JB400

With no signature or documentation, $100.  another door off a used car, and priced as such.

cudavic

No insult however I think $100 dollars is a rather weak offer, heck a good charger door should bring at least double that.
My thought is it is worth around $500 how you get there with haggling back and forth remains to be seen by someone.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: JB400 on September 08, 2018, 01:52:27 AM
With no signature or documentation, $100.  another door off a used car, and priced as such.

I'd have to agree, just a used door, $100 as it's probably just a shell, I never could understand the fascination with the autograph/memorabilia/graffiti "thing" on cars or car parts... :scratchchin: :shruggy:  

rob-dirt

you might make him mad by saying 100 ..........  i think 500.00 is a fair offer  :2thumbs:

qwick68

Hmmmmm tough one, yea its worth whatever you wanna pay is correct, I mean if you want it that bad maybe 500-1000, all depends how bad you want it and what it means to you. Very cool piece thats for sure!
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

hemi-hampton

$500 WAS THE FIRST PRICE THAT CAME TO MIND. LEON.

Y1CHARGER

Looks to be a Clean and Rust free Charger door.  It's funny that people say it's worth $100 but these same people would never sell a clean rust free door shell for $100.   AMD door shells sell for $700 and I've seen good clean original charger doors shells sell for $400-$500.  It will always be worth what a Clean and Rust free Charger door is worth and it's an added bonus if it's worth little more for the history.

chubby53

I'd paid a grand , just cost so much to freight to uk , would be nice next to the old race nose from my car

62 Max

Quote from: DAY CLONA on September 08, 2018, 08:32:31 AM
Quote from: JB400 on September 08, 2018, 01:52:27 AM

I'd have to agree, just a used door, $100 as it's probably just a shell, I never could understand the fascination with the autograph/memorabilia/graffiti "thing" on cars or car parts... :scratchchin: :shruggy:  

This!! :Twocents:

Alaskan_TA

Some people have no appreciation for history.

If I saw it at a swap meet for $300.00 or so, I'd bring it home.

Lennard

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on September 09, 2018, 01:16:53 PM

I agree.  $300 would be a fair price.

odcics2

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on September 09, 2018, 01:16:53 PM

Agreed. 

:cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

C500

I was thinking up to $1000. $100 is a steal, authenticated or not.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Davtona

So this is a door off the car that was in the American Racing Wheels ad in Car Craft in October 1970. Is that correct??

Alaskan_TA

Aero426

Quote from: qwick68 on September 08, 2018, 10:52:28 AM
Hmmmmm tough one, yea its worth whatever you wanna pay is correct, I mean if you want it that bad maybe 500-1000, all depends how bad you want it and what it means to you. Very cool piece thats for sure!

Agree completely.   How do you put a price on a 1 of 1 item?      I realize Big Willie is not Richard Petty.   But he has a legacy and a following, especially to someone who might have met him.   Short of buying the complete car, what other Big Willie memorabilia is out there?   There are enough photos of the car before restoration to document that door.    

Last time I checked, the diecast models of BW's cars were selling for more than $100. 

Aero426

Quote from: Davtona on September 09, 2018, 06:34:21 PM
So this is a door off the car that was in the American Racing Wheels ad in Car Craft in October 1970. Is that correct??

That should be the King Daytona.     

WINGIN IT

Dumb question, but wasn't this  car restored?
If so why wasn't this door used in the resto??

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: WINGIN IT on September 10, 2018, 09:09:07 AM

Yup back to oem sadly.

Aero426

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on September 10, 2018, 01:16:26 PM

Yup back to oem sadly.

It was restored to the lettered up "race configuration".

I asked the same question about the door being separated from the car.     Had it been used, the original lettering would be gone.   I guess someone wanted a souvenir.   

Finn

Im not sure what to think anymore, at the last mopar show I went to someone wanted $450 for an original Tuff wheel, so going off that I think 500 for an entire door with cool history seems pretty reasonable for an art piece.

Personally, I would top out at 250. Coolness aside the fact of the matter is it would probably get hung up and collect dust until someone else offered me money for it. Im still trying to expand my tool inventory so the garage-art funds are limited. Very neat piece though, thanks for posting pictures and good luck!
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

hemi-hampton

I wonder if the other door was used in the resto? maybe 2 doors available :scratchchin:

Birdflu

Quote from: Aero426 on September 10, 2018, 03:13:19 PM

I asked the same question about the door being separated from the car.     Had it been used, the original lettering would be gone.   I guess someone wanted a souvenir.   

Doug, you're exactly correct! The door was kept as a souvenir since the original lettering was going to be lost during the restoration.

Birdflu

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 10, 2018, 05:49:05 PM
I wonder if the other door was used in the resto? maybe 2 doors available :scratchchin:

Only one was kept... :-\

farm966

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Birdflu on September 10, 2018, 05:58:59 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 10, 2018, 05:49:05 PM

Only one was kept... :-\

Now that makes even less sense.

I could understand there being value if the car didn't exist anymore, but it does, and it's been fully restored.

Here , have my throw away, it wasn't worth putting back on the car...

DAY CLONA

Quote from: WINGIN IT on September 11, 2018, 08:07:54 AM

While the door may "look good", in person it may have been junk? hence the wall art, as wall art is usually just that; junk,  ...as far as the actual car, it was so rotted, not much of the original vehicle remained anyway, but at least is was recreated...

Birdflu

Quote from: DAY CLONA on September 11, 2018, 09:32:20 AM

While the door may "look good", in person it may have been junk? hence the wall art, as wall art is usually just that; junk,  ...as far as the actual car, it was so rotted, not much of the original vehicle remained anyway, but at least is was recreated...

While I appreciate everyone's input about price, it wasn't my intent to 'rile up the crowd' on what was or should have been done to the car. It was made clear to me that the door in question, which is in great shape by the way, was retained so the artist not only had a paper stencil to use when re-producing the graphics, but also the physical 'original' sitting next to him while he was hand lettering the doors. In the cars defense, I would have a hard time calling it 'rotted' or 'recreated'. Yes, the rear window plug area created some challenges, but the car to this day retains it's original nose, fenders, inner fenders, doors(well...at least one of them), all frame rails, floor pans, rear quarters, tail panel and roof skin. A section of the rear floor pan was replaced where the pinion snubber decided to make an appearance into the back seat. As expected, the car saw a replacement trunk pan as well. Both quarters received patches for and aft of the rear wheel openings. Call it what you will, I believe everyone on this forum will agree...it's a COOL car!  :yesnod:   

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Aero426 on September 10, 2018, 03:13:19 PM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on September 10, 2018, 01:16:26 PM

Yup back to oem sadly.

My bad i thought this one went back to oem.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Birdflu on September 11, 2018, 10:38:38 AM

While the door may "look good", in person it may have been junk? hence the wall art, as wall art is usually just that; junk,  ...as far as the actual car, it was so rotted, not much of the original vehicle remained anyway, but at least is was recreated...

While I appreciate everyone's input about price, it wasn't my intent to 'rile up the crowd' on what was or should have been done to the car. It was made clear to me that the door in question, which is in great shape by the way, was retained so the artist not only had a paper stencil to use when re-producing the graphics, but also the physical 'original' sitting next to him while he was hand lettering the doors. In the cars defense, I would have a hard time calling it 'rotted' or 'recreated'. Yes, the rear window plug area created some challenges, but the car to this day retains it's original nose, fenders, inner fenders, doors(well...at least one of them), all frame rails, floor pans, rear quarters, tail panel and roof skin. A section of the rear floor pan was replaced where the pinion snubber decided to make an appearance into the back seat. As expected, the car saw a replacement trunk pan as well. Both quarters received patches for and aft of the rear wheel openings. Call it what you will, I believe everyone on this forum will agree...it's a COOL car!  :yesnod:  

Interesting?... French said he tossed one of the doors because it was so badly rusted, yet this door/wall art in question is supposedly in "great shape by the way", so I can't see it still having an original door on it?, I know the original fiberglass hood (French substituted a steel replacement) and glass trunk were replaced along with the repairs you mentioned, IIRC the firewall was also cut up on this car ?  

But on the same note, the late Jack McGaughey (wingcarfab.com) contacted me around 2011/12 and said he was going to be building a nose and front lower valance and possibly a rear plug for the Big Willie Daytona (whether he was rebuilding the originals, or making repros I don't know/recall) and needed a set of Z bars for the nose, I ended up selling Jack 2 sets of my repro Z bars, supposedly to be used on the Big Willie Tona' and another customers car Jack was working on

I agree, it's a cool car, and Big Willie was a righteous fellow, but I still wouldn't pay no more than $100 for that door, and it would have to be usable  :icon_smile_big:

Mike

hemi-hampton

I Don't see any rust on front of door. Post a picture of the back of door, any rust on backside? LEON.

farm966

Y1CHARGER

Quote from: DAY CLONA on September 11, 2018, 10:39:24 PM

While the door may "look good", in person it may have been junk? hence the wall art, as wall art is usually just that; junk,  ...as far as the actual car, it was so rotted, not much of the original vehicle remained anyway, but at least is was recreated...

While I appreciate everyone's input about price, it wasn't my intent to 'rile up the crowd' on what was or should have been done to the car. It was made clear to me that the door in question, which is in great shape by the way, was retained so the artist not only had a paper stencil to use when re-producing the graphics, but also the physical 'original' sitting next to him while he was hand lettering the doors. In the cars defense, I would have a hard time calling it 'rotted' or 'recreated'. Yes, the rear window plug area created some challenges, but the car to this day retains it's original nose, fenders, inner fenders, doors(well...at least one of them), all frame rails, floor pans, rear quarters, tail panel and roof skin. A section of the rear floor pan was replaced where the pinion snubber decided to make an appearance into the back seat. As expected, the car saw a replacement trunk pan as well. Both quarters received patches for and aft of the rear wheel openings. Call it what you will, I believe everyone on this forum will agree...it's a COOL car!  :yesnod:  

Interesting?... French said he tossed one of the doors because it was so badly rusted, yet this door/wall art in question is supposedly in "great shape by the way", so I can't see it still having an original door on it?, I know the original fiberglass hood (French substituted a steel replacement) and glass trunk were replaced along with the repairs you mentioned, IIRC the firewall was also cut up on this car ?  

But on the same note, the late Jack McGaughey (wingcarfab.com) contacted me around 2011/12 and said he was going to be building a nose and front lower valance and possibly a rear plug for the Big Willie Daytona (whether he was rebuilding the originals, or making repros I don't know/recall) and needed a set of Z bars for the nose, I ended up selling Jack 2 sets of my repro Z bars, supposedly to be used on the Big Willie Tona' and another customers car Jack was working on

I agree, it's a cool car, and Big Willie was a righteous fellow, but I still wouldn't pay no more than $100 for that door, and it would have to be usable  :icon_smile_big:

Mike
Mike, Do you have any doors for sale?  I would love to buy a pair of clean rot free doors for $200

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Y1CHARGER on September 12, 2018, 10:37:05 AM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on September 11, 2018, 10:39:24 PM

Mike
Mike, Do you have any doors for sale?  I would love to buy a pair of clean rot free doors for $200

You missed out on the 69 Passenger door I had about 4 months ago, I sold it for $50, bare shell....
the most I ever paid for a pair of nice Charger doors was $150

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

RiverRaider

Quote from: Birdflu on September 08, 2018, 12:23:27 AM
Well...just throwing this out there...

What would you guys be willing to pay for this original door off Big Willy's Daytona? It's just a cool piece of history that I wouldn't mind hanging in our bar/hobby room. A buddy of mine has it and he's probably willing to let it go, but is requiring an offer from me. Yeah, I know, it's worth whatever it's worth. Just looking for some opinions on what you guys would be willing to pay for wall art.  :shruggy:

$300 and have a few "back in the day" pictures around it would really cool garage art.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

hemi-hampton

Wow, Big differences in price, some say $100 & some say $1050. :scratchchin: :shruggy:

odcics2

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 12, 2018, 10:58:13 PM
Wow, Big differences in price, some say $100 & some say $1050. :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Some appreciate history, some don't.    :D

62 Max

Quote from: odcics2 on September 13, 2018, 08:36:11 AM

So,how much is history worth,a lot to some,not so much to most !  As far as a $1050 price,for myself,I could find a much better way to spend it,but thats just me. :shruggy:

odcics2

Quote from: 62 Max on September 13, 2018, 10:35:41 AM
Quote from: odcics2 on September 13, 2018, 08:36:11 AM

So,how much is history worth,a lot to some,not so much to most !  As far as a $1050 price,for myself,I could find a much better way to spend it,but thats just me. :shruggy:

I had replied $300., if seen at a swap meet.   I'm not a huge fan to pay anywhere near 4 figures!   :Twocents:

Alaskan_TA

QuoteWow, Big differences in price, some say $100 & some say $1050. :scratchchin: :shruggy:

The truth in any WIW type thread will be what someone, maybe just one person is willing to pay - if they step up & actually pay it.

That said, when I ask WIW in a thread of my own, I usually toss the lowest & highest number out the door & average the rest to get a general idea.

Then I price it lower, whatever the item may be & sometimes (but not always by a long shot) the item sells.

Everyone may have an opinion, but not everyone with an opinion has money they are willing to pay. :scratchchin:

odcics2

In other words: Cash talks, bullshit walks.

:2thumbs:

wingcarenvy

I for one raced at his raceway in Terminal Island. I met and spoke with Willie many nights at the track. He was a man of conviction and tried to move heaven and earth to provide us with a safe place. With that being said I am more apt to pay more for something like this. Id pay 500 for something like this and it would look killer hanging on my wall in my shop.

WilliesDaytona

I will buy it , please call me I PM my number , but screw it my number is 270 945 2981 ... Gary French... And also I have no clue why the door got replaced because it wasn't that bad but I'm glad it did if I can buy it

aerolith

Great subject guys.
Big Willie is a legend and $1000 is well cheap for a piece of Daytona history.
I love the 'old timers' saying $100 for a door.
Last time I was at the Spring Fling a 69 Charger door was $500+...

I bought a R/H 69 Charger fender off 'one' of the FAST-FIVE F&F film cars (as 4 of them were 69's), he had all 4 pairs.
The best one was $1200 (as the guy wanted double the price of a new one), the worst one $600 and probably too far gone to repair?

Yep I had to have it, so I haggled him down to $600 for the best one and was pleased as punch!!!
I love the fender so much that I never fitted it to my 69 500, its far too SEXY...

Found another one at a UK Swap meet for $50, never say never, they are still out there... :2thumbs: :nana: :slap:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Moparpoolman

Quote from: WilliesDaytona on October 13, 2018, 01:47:41 PM
I will buy it , please call me I PM my number , but screw it my number is 270 945 2981 ... Gary French... And also I have no clue why the door got replaced because it wasn't that bad but I'm glad it did if I can buy it
My opinion would be to let the owner of the car now have first shot at it. :shruggy:

XS29J

Do not Know if a good comparison BUT I have painted up 69 Charger doors (condition from Bad to good) painted them Orange and put the 01 on them and got $600 all day long... :2thumbs:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: XS29J on October 15, 2018, 06:12:32 AM
Do not Know if a good comparison BUT I have painted up 69 Charger doors (condition from Bad to good) painted them Orange and put the 01 on them and got $600 all day long... :2thumbs:

You know what P.T. Barnum said....

aerolith

Good deal for someone close by!

Best colour too... :slap:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

farm966