News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another 500 Uncovered

Started by RallyeMike, September 10, 2018, 10:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RallyeMike

Member 5HUNERT and I met Paul, another 500 owner this weekend. Neat car that is NOT currently in the 500 registry: 440/727, Console, PDB, PS, factory W1 with tan interior, SE package, and super cool Bee-Liever dealer add on which consists of Eddy CH4B intake, Holley carb, and headers. A lot is still original, it's a crusty driver last tabbed in 1978. It's driving capability was demonstrated with several rapid, smokey, circular motions on the road in front of the gas pumps. :icon_smile_cool: Apparently it only turns left like a 500 should.

Story is that the car sat unsold until 1971 until the Bee-liever was added on and then was sold to the original owner. It was later abandoned on a property and was sold to the current owner for pocket change in 1987. Paul is a super nice guy, and I'm only partially saying that because he bought us burgers and brews at the watering hole.

It was a wonderful Sunday  :cheers:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

JB400

Nice to see the cobwebs come off it

C500

Thanks for the pics and story, love reading stuff like this ! The bee-liever package is cool  :coolgleamA: I have a CH4B for my 500 too. Is this bee-liever package specific to one dealer?
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

tan top

:o :coolgleamA:  wow  , great stuff thanks for sharing the pictures & info   :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

6bblgt

from the 1970 Hustle Stuff Catalog :coolgleamA:

anyone have the spec's of a Racer Brown SSH-25 cam?

odcics2

Here ya go.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/RB%20Cam%20Specs.htm

The MoPar guys could never get their own cams to make the same power as the Racer Brown cams!  Even "exact" copies of RB cams didn't do it!
There was something about the opening and closing ramps they could not get right!!!

A lot of the 426 stock car engines ran Racer Brown cams. 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

TheAutoArchaeologist

Wow that thing is awesome.  He should sign up for the MCACN Barn Finds and Hidden Gems section!

white

charger_fan_4ever

Ratty 500's a deam in motion. Nice.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

held1823

how awesome is that photo of the three together? VERY

hopefully you guys can get him to join here.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

RallyeMike

He was curious if I knew what cam was in the Bee-Liever package, so thanks guys for posting that info  :2thumbs:  I'll print out and mail it off to him as he is "not really a computer guy".

Here are a couple shots of the Holley and Eddy. The intake is painted engine color but is taped off to leave the aluminum showing through just on the top of the runners. I wish I had taken a photo of the goofy looking header collector set up that connects the Bee-liever Hooker headers to the stock exhaust.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

hemi68charger

Very nice..... You know, those C500 owners are super guys.........  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparchris

Just curious.  How is he driving the car without a coil wire on it? 
Nice to see that in addition to the white car being out, that my old C500 (F8 auto) is still turning a tire.
:2thumbs:

Highbanked Hauler

Guessing by the VIN that car must have been towards the end of the 500'S production run ??
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

RallyeMike

QuoteJust curious.  How is he driving the car without a coil wire on it? 
Nice to see that in addition to the white car being out, that my old C500 (F8 auto) is still turning a tire.

I knew someone would notice that.... He left the car in front of the shop for the morning before our arrival and that was his theft deterrent system  :icon_smile_big:

Yup ol' 232008 is a regular driver when the sun is out.

QuoteGuessing by the VIN that car must have been towards the end of the 500'S production run ??

Unfortunately the fender tag is AWOL. VIN would suggest perhaps Nov 22, so pretty deep but not at the end.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Ghoste

Great find and thanks for sharing.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

XS29LA47V21

What a great color on a 500 (I mean 69 Charger actually).  My favorite color for sure.

So the saddle (tan) interior.   Being out of the south.  The tan in Chargers feels not that common, especially on a W1 car.  Is white with tan more common in the west or NW do you think?  Or just fewer numbers produced? 

Regardless sure like it.

Benji

Quote from: moparchris on September 15, 2018, 10:53:06 AM

Back in the early 1970's I had a 1968 Plymouth Sport Fury. I was on a bowling team and of course we usually stopped after the game and had a beer or two.  The subject of cars came up one evening and we were all boasting about how our car was "the best."  I bragged on my Mopar (they were Ford/GM guys) and they all poo pooed all Chrysler products.  I am not a fast drinker so I was the last one to leave the bar that evening, so when I got out into the parking lot I was surprised to see two of the guys just kinda hanging around and looking like they were up to something. I waved at them, hopped in my Plymouth fired the engine up and drove off. The next day I stopped at the restaurant that one of my bowling buddies owned. When he saw me pull up he came running out into the parking lot and asked me how is it that I drove off the evening before, because he had pulled the coil wire out of the distributor cap!  I popped the hood open and sure enough the wire was not in the hole but was instead beside it, so I fired the engine back up and the spark would come out of the coil wire jump straight up curve over and go down into the distributor.  He never again said Mopars were inferior!

moparjohn

To me, it looks like the primer 500 has vinyl  top molding on it? did that exsist? John
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

RallyeMike

QuoteTo me, it looks like the primer 500 has vinyl  top molding on it? did that exsist? John

John,

The general belief is that all of the known Charger 500s with vinyl tops (just a handful known) were dealer ad-ons. This one is 5HUNERT's car and I believe he has some info indicating that the car was on the lot new with the vinyl top and sold that way. The clips and trim are not Mopar parts, but rather typical aftermarket stuff used back in the day when vinyl tops were popular add-ons (well.... maybe not "popular", but nonetheless more popular than ever since)  :lol:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

5hunert

Quote from: RallyeMike on October 03, 2018, 02:20:54 PM
QuoteTo me, it looks like the primer 500 has vinyl  top molding on it? did that exsist? John

John,

The general belief is that all of the known Charger 500s with vinyl tops (just a handful known) were dealer ad-ons. This one is 5HUNERT's car and I believe he has some info indicating that the car was on the lot new with the vinyl top and sold that way. The clips and trim are not Mopar parts, but rather typical aftermarket stuff used back in the day when vinyl tops were popular add-ons (well.... maybe not "popular", but nonetheless more popular than ever since)  :lol:

:iagree: Rallye Mike pretty much summed up what's known about it's vinyl top. Still trying to chase down owners previous to 1977.  At that time the top was complely thrashed and half of Creative Industry's window plug bondo came off with it when it was removed.

metallicareload99

Those cars are awesome! You guys are cool for sharing, thanks!

Quote from: Benji on September 30, 2018, 07:15:41 AM
Quote from: moparchris on September 15, 2018, 10:53:06 AM

...and asked me how is it that I drove off the evening before, because he had pulled the coil wire out of the distributor cap!  I popped the hood open and sure enough the wire was not in the hole but was instead beside it, so I fired the engine back up and the spark would come out of the coil wire jump straight up curve over and go down into the distributor.  He never again said Mopars were inferior!

I drove to work once with the coil wire unplugged.  Took me a mile to figure out why it wasn't running normal  :rotz:  :lol:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

wingcarenvy

What a car! And after being a die hard Mopar guy for over 30 years I have never heard of the Bee-liever package. I am still learning something new, thanks to you guys who are sharing your knowledge!!