News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 superbird engine compartment questions

Started by chaaargerb, September 11, 2018, 11:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaaargerb

Just finish up with the front suspension on my bird and I'm getting the engine and trans ready to put in.
For reference my car is a Dec built 440  4sp  4 barrel.

I have a couple of questions about the brake booster and master cylinder parts.
I have picks with different parts if you know which are correct please let me know.
If there not correct if you could show a pic of the correct part.

first item master cylinder cover

chaaargerb

second item booster valve

taxspeaker

chaaargerb

just checking that these are correct for my 440 4sp 4 barrel intake

taxspeaker

The 3 small parts are right, I don't remember exactly on the big linkage mount for 4-speed. If no one answers pm me back and I will walk over to the shop this afternoon and look.

chaaargerb

power steering cap. I have seen this both ways maybe build date related?

chaaargerb

maxwellwedge

Single pulley on the alt.
Power steering cap "B"
Here is a pic of my master cover.....the writing looks like it is from side to side on it.

chaaargerb

Quote from: maxwellwedge on September 12, 2018, 12:20:41 PM
Power steering cap "B"
Here is a pic of my master cover.....the writing looks like it is from side to side on it.

Okay I have a couple questions. do you know what the assembly date is on your car?
Does the master cylinder cover have the vent on the smaller upper chamber?

I am leaning towards the single groove pulley on the 440 cars and the dual pulley on the hemi cars.
The power steering cap I think is a build date thing. I found about a 50/50 split on that.
The A booster valve looks to be straight up on 440 six pack cars, B valve side ways on the hemi booster and split about 50/50 on the 4 barrel cars.  

Taxspeaker
I think your green car Plymouth Superbird RM23U0A174621 would be an excellent car to compare with. Your car is built before mine and looks to be very original plus it's a 4 barrel 4 speed. Mine is RM2EU0A178644
Having 3 birds side by side could really shed some light.
Thanks for any input. :2thumbs:

62 Max

Here's mine,still has the tag on the bail.

chaaargerb

62 Max

maxwellwedge

Quote from: chaaargerb on September 12, 2018, 01:24:41 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on September 12, 2018, 12:20:41 PM
Power steering cap "B"

Okay I have a couple questions. do you know what the assembly date is on your car?
Does the master cylinder cover have the vent on the smaller upper chamber?

I am leaning towards the single groove pulley on the 440 cars and the dual pulley on the hemi cars.
The power steering cap I think is a build date thing. I found about a 50/50 split on that.
The A booster valve looks to be straight up on 440 six pack cars, B valve side ways on the hemi booster and split about 50/50 on the 4 barrel cars.  

Taxspeaker
I think your green car Plymouth Superbird RM23U0A174621 would be an excellent car to compare with. Your car is built before mine and looks to be very original plus it's a 4 barrel 4 speed. Mine is RM2EU0A178644
Having 3 birds side by side could really shed some light.
Thanks for any input. :2thumbs:

Here is my f-tag. I never looked to see what date it was on the list.
Single groove on the alternator. Nothing else was ever used on a Bird except on the Hemi.
Car is 12,000 miles....all original down to its tires.

taxspeaker

Here is my green one-original before teardown

taxspeaker

chaaargerb

Taxspeaker great pics Very helpful.  :2thumbs: If you have any other engine area pics you could post that would be awesome. I see you have the direct drive fan. That kinda debunks the clutch fan on 4 speed cars.Is it on the broadcast sheet? So far I'm pretty good with putting the straight valve on the booster and the single groove alternator. I know a lot of people have posted pics of their master cylinders but I can't see what the lettering is. Also I was wondering if the proportioning valve has a cover on it.

RealWing

That is the plastic cover for the metering valve. Usually missing on restored Superbirds.
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

taxspeaker

Here are several more. I had posted the build sheet but decided I didn't want it out in public and pulled it. I don't remember where the fan code is-do you?

chaaargerb

Here are several more. I had posted the build sheet but decided I didn't want it out in public and pulled it. I don't remember where the fan code is-do you?

I believe it should be on line 3 and it would say fan and fan spa

Do you have any pics of the engine with the air cleaner off?

taxspeaker

No pics without air cleaner

Line 3 fan is 16, fan spa is 70, so I believe it came with the 7 1/4" torque drive unit-must have been replaced by the guy I bought it from

Wingnut426

Hey Taxspeaker, didn't you contradict yourself as far as the booster check valve? You mention "B: as the correct valve, but in the pictures of the green unrestored 'Bird it sure looks like type "A" to me.  :Twocents:
HEMI Daytona Convertible

chaaargerb

Taxspeaker another question about your broadcast sheet. On the top line under vehicle order number is the build date. Is it the B30 like the fender tag or is it different?

Your car is built after Nov 5th 1969. I'm wondering if a car was ordered they made a new broadcast sheet and fender tag to match at the time it was ordered but if a car was just line built the broadcast sheet was made when the fender tag was made. I always thought they printed the tags at the same time.Pre Production

If the broadcast sheet was printed before Nov 5th I would think it would have been coded for a clutch fan even automatics.

taxspeaker

Quote from: Wingnut426 on September 15, 2018, 10:01:21 AM
Hey Taxspeaker, didn't you contradict yourself as far as the booster check valve? You mention "B: as the correct valve, but in the pictures of the green unrestored 'Bird it sure looks like type "A" to me.  :Twocents:

Well what can I say-pictures are always better than memories. And my memories are always more colorful than reality!

taxspeaker

Quote from: chaaargerb on September 15, 2018, 10:35:37 AM
Taxspeaker another question about your broadcast sheet. On the top line under vehicle order number is the build date. Is it the B30 like the fender tag or is it different?

Your car is built after Nov 5th 1969. I'm wondering if a car was ordered they made a new broadcast sheet and fender tag to match at the time it was ordered but if a car was just line built the broadcast sheet was made when the fender tag was made. I always thought they printed the tags at the same time.Pre Production

If the broadcast sheet was printed before Nov 5th I would think it would have been coded for a clutch fan even automatics.

It is my understanding that all Birds show B30 in the VON build date, and mine does too, just like on fender tag

maxwellwedge

Quote from: RealWing on September 14, 2018, 06:24:49 PM
That is the plastic cover for the metering valve. Usually missing on restored Superbirds.

It is a '70 B-body thing.
Mine still has it.

I will take a pic of the lettering on my m/cylinder lid.