News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 superbird engine compartment questions

Started by chaaargerb, September 11, 2018, 11:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwellwedge

Quote from: taxspeaker on September 15, 2018, 09:45:31 AM
No pics without air cleaner

Line 3 fan is 16, fan spa is 70, so I believe it came with the 7 1/4" torque drive unit-must have been replaced by the guy I bought it from

There was a service bulletin where the dealers were instructed to remove the 070 clutch and 216 fan and replace them with the solid spacer and different fan....the part number escapes me for the moment..
I would sure love to have all those 070's they took off :)

RealWing

The fixed fan p/n is 2863223 and the 1.06" spacer is 1851959. On Superbirds built after Nov 5th
Jim
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

Wingnut426

Quote from: RealWing on September 17, 2018, 11:48:31 AM
The fixed fan p/n is 2863223 and the 1.06" spacer is 1851959. On Superbirds built after Nov 5th
Jim
Except Hemi Superbirds. They always get the clutch fan.  :Twocents: WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

RealWing

Quote from: Wingnut426 on September 17, 2018, 05:23:33 PM
Jim

Correct!!!  My mistake
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

chaaargerb

Quote from: RealWing on September 17, 2018, 07:30:17 PM
Quote from: Wingnut426 on September 17, 2018, 05:23:33 PM
Jim

Correct!!!  My mistake

Taxspeaker's  green 4 speed car has the direct drive fan that looks original and the B5 blue 4 speed car that just went up on ebay    RM23U0A160712 has the direct drive fan and also looks original.

chaaargerb

Anyone get a chance to check the writing on their master cylinder caps yet?

maxwellwedge

Sorry - I was going to do that on the weekend.

I will get to it in a day or two.

maxwellwedge

Ok - Here are some pics of the correct M/C lid and the power steering cap.

chaaargerb

Great Pics :2thumbs:
That makes 3 different caps I have come across.
Definitely looks like it should be there. Can anyone else check their cars ?
Here are the 3 different lids so far.

Mopar John

Quote from: chaaargerb on October 02, 2018, 03:50:38 PM
Great Pics :2thumbs:
That makes 3 different caps I have come across.
Definitely looks like it should be there. Can anyone else check their cars ?
Here are the 3 different lids so far.
Mine has master cylinder lid "A".
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD POWER STEERING PUMP CAPS!
While at the 2018 MCACN show I decided to take some pictures of the Superbird power steering pump caps.
I was looking to see if any had the older 1969 style metal caps or the newer plastic caps?
I didn't expect to find another style cap!
In my first 2 pictures you will see identical plastic caps.
In the last picture is another style plastic cap that has the extra wording "DO NOT OVERFILL" in the center!
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: Mopar John on November 21, 2018, 11:19:12 AM
                                                          SUPERBIRD POWER STEERING PUMP CAPS!
While at the 2018 MCACN show I decided to take some pictures of the Superbird power steering pump caps.
I was looking to see if any had the older 1969 style metal caps or the newer plastic caps?
I didn't expect to find another style cap!
In my first 2 pictures you will see identical plastic caps.
In the last picture is another style plastic cap that has the extra wording "DO NOT OVERFILL" in the center!
MJ
So I grabbed my camera after discovering this and took a look at our Superbird's power steering pump cap.
I was surprised to find yet a 3rd variation of the plastic cap! WOW!
Mine has more fins around the edge of the cap than the others the don't have the "DO NOT OVERFILL" wording!
It appears that the text on mine is larger also?
MJ

TONY

John
In re to the ps caps, the 3rd car/cap doesnt look like it was too correct so i wouldnt count that for reference.

i feel the only correct master cylinder cover shown is #3

62 Max

Tony,

Here are mine,car came from original owner,I doubt he would have changed anything.Master cylinder still has tag attached to bail.Best I could do with pictures for right now.Power steering pump has cap A.

Mopar John

MORE ON SUPERBIRD POWER STEERING CAPS!
I am starting to form some opinions on these caps.
In chaaargerb's original post his cap labeled "A" along with taxspeakers barn find cap and my cap are all the same.
My cap is an NOS replacement cap from early on and may be why there are extra fins or grips?
This could have also been the second supplier of that time?
I have attached a couple of pictures of the factory box mine came in with part number 2537814 on it.
The caps with the extra wording "DO NOT OVERFILL" are what I believe to be 1971 - 1975 caps part number 2891284.
MJ

TONY

found this from frank b

billssuperbird

Where can I get one of those proportioning valve covers.

Mopar John

POWER DISC BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER COVERS!
 Recently at the MCACN show I was able to take a couple of pictures of power disc brake master cylinder covers!
The one in the first picture has print that is hard to read but it is one of the 1969 model year covers.
It reads "USE ONLY SAE 70R3 BRAKE FLUID".
The one in the second picture is very nice! I wish I could find one like that!
MJ

moparstuart

:drool5:   the easy access spark plugs in the second picture are super nice too   :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mopar John

MORE ON SUPERBIRD POWER STEERING CAPS!
I have attached a couple of pictures of all the power steering caps that I have seen on Superbirds to date!
In the pictures left to right:
1) 1969 part number 2267694
2) 1970 part number 2537814
3) 1971 part number 2891284
4) 1972 part number      ?       later known as 4219036
Like the OP I have seen both the 1969 and 1970 caps on survivor/ original Superbirds.
The last cap has a longer indicator for the newer style Saginaw resivoirs.
MJ

Wingnut426

Just to clarify, those power steering caps are for 440 Superbirds, not Hemi equipped cars. Hemi Superbirds came with Federal power steering pumps.  :Twocents:  WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

Dragon Slayer

I know this is an old post, but a MC lid with a round tip gasket is a much later replacement.  The Bendix lid was also used on Fords, so there are several different script out there; and differences in vent.  Several Ford websites document the Bendix cap pretty well, including the Zince versus Chromate coating.  70R is the Mopar 69 or earlier and 1703 is the 70 up, though there can be overlap as supply was used up.  Later version replacement MC from Mid 70s with have warning and more wording.

As far as PS caps, from what I researched for Saginaw, the 2537814 cap part number is in the 66 through 70 catalog.  71 had a new cap 2891284.

The other thing, is despite big block brackets being same in general.  The 70 catalog listed a new front bracket part number for RW cars only (3512668) , C bodies used the same older 69 version (2951196 and 198).  Both used same rear bracket.  Was there really a change?