News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aluminum Radiator - anyone bought one of these?

Started by doctor4766, September 12, 2018, 01:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctor4766

Gotta love a '69

c00nhunterjoe

Doesnt even list the brand name? Seems overpriced to me for a stock replacement style. You can get a good cross flow cheaper.

303 Mopar

I agree, much better options and better prices too.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

justcruisin

I agree there are other radiators out there of equal performance for less money, however, if you are looking for a factory look it may be worth looking at, that would be the only reason I would consider that radiator for that price. I would need to see it in the flesh though. I would also ask them to confirm the tube size and count. If it looks like what you are after and the quality, tube size and tube count is there I don't see the price as over the top, there may be others that fall into the same specs, matter of shopping around though.

doctor4766

Ok thanks guys.
This is the problem being so far from the US.
Any suggestions on a direct fit, decent radiator from a supplier who will ship to Australia?
Got to fit 26" core support
383 auto
Doesn't have to be black but the factory style look would be good.

Cheers
Gotta love a '69

We may as well be in Austria as things are so expensive here.

Have you thought about getting your radiator recored, that way you basically have a new radiator with your original tanks so the part number and penstar are still on it?

I was always skeptical about recoring myself but having a bit of radiator work done locally it has changed my mind. They sweat the tanks off and sandblast them so they are like new then braze them onto a new core and repaint. Looks just as good as a brand new radiator and retains its original aspects. Best of all you know it's going to fit.

Much better then the headache of buying from the US and finding out it doesn't fit or is crap, plus it will likely be cheaper, especially if the core is a standard size.

doctor4766

Quote from: 440 on September 12, 2018, 07:42:23 PM

Have you thought about getting your radiator recored, that way you basically have a new radiator with your original tanks so the part number and penstar are still on it?

I was always skeptical about recoring myself but having a bit of radiator work done locally it has changed my mind. They sweat the tanks off and sandblast them so they are like new then braze them onto a new core and repaint. Looks just as good as a brand new radiator and retains its original aspects. Best of all you know it's going to fit.

Much better then the headache of buying from the US and finding out it doesn't fit or is crap, plus it will likely be cheaper, especially if the core is a standard size.

Well they're talking around AU$1500 to recore mine or custom make an ally one for AU$1200 (Brownes Radiators in Perth who do have an excellent rep)
If it were around $800 I'd just do it but I can land one for less than that from the US
Gotta love a '69

Quote from: doctor4766 on September 12, 2018, 11:14:54 PM
Quote from: 440 on September 12, 2018, 07:42:23 PM

Well they're talking around AU$1500 to recore mine or custom make an ally one for AU$1200 (Brownes Radiators in Perth who do have an excellent rep)
If it were around $800 I'd just do it but I can land one for less than that from the US

Are you dead set on an alloy radiator? I did the radiator in my wifes MR2 and they had to custom make the core as it was an odd size. By the time I got it back ready to install it was only $550 which I thought was pretty good.

On the other hand if your looking for a custom alloy radiator like a PWR or something yeah your looking at $1200- $1500.

For what it's worth I bought one of those cheap $200 chinese alloy radiators for my Chevy and it actually doesn't look like too bad of a piece. It's a little warped but the welds look good and it fit the stock mounts perfectly. I haven't used it yet but if I get 6 -12mo out of it I'd be happy.

PlainfieldCharger

I just installed that in my car. I got the one that is not painted and used eastwood radiator paint on it. It fit perfect, no leaks, no damage and is cooling my car perfect. It was 229.00 delivered. I like the OEM look so I went for it. I am very satisfied. :Twocents: 

doctor4766

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on September 13, 2018, 07:04:23 AM
I just installed that in my car. I got the one that is not painted and used eastwood radiator paint on it. It fit perfect, no leaks, no damage and is cooling my car perfect. It was 229.00 delivered. I like the OEM look so I went for it. I am very satisfied. :Twocents:  
Good stuff.
I'll have a look at some others but will keep this one in mind.
Thanks for your reply.
Are you using thermo fans with it and if not, does the factory shroud fit ok?
Gotta love a '69

PlainfieldCharger

It fit perfectly. Shroud and all. The quality of the welds were well done. So far so good....at 229.00 to my door I thought it was hard to beat....took it for a long ride in 90 and high humidity cooled the car perfectly.....did not come with drain petcock...old one fit fine...

mopar0166

Still love my 4 row champion.   Best bang for buck

doctor4766

SO I've ordered a Champion radiator which should be here any day now.
I plan to use Toyota red coolant mixed with distilled water again so I'll hit the local Toyota dealer up for the coolant asap.
Question is, how many litres to order.
Anyone know what the total capacity is of the cooling system for a 383 with a 26" and including the heater system?
Thanks in advance.
Gotta love a '69