News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

They are "only cars"

Started by taxspeaker, September 15, 2018, 01:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

What did you think this was going to say? Well, it's going to say something else.

Last night I drove my Daytona to a local car show about an hour away in the small Indiana town of Salem. This was meant to be the last drive for the year of my pride and joy-which has been babied since I bought it from Joe several years ago. My wife, who has been very ill since April asked to go-the 1st time she has really felt like going out in months, and of course I said yes. We enjoyed the extreme friendliness of the Southern Indiana county square festival and about 30 minutes before we needed to leave I asked her if I could get her some lemonade or ice cream, and I walked off in search of both.

When I gt back I knew something was wrong. We have a matching metal diecast of the Daytona we put on the wing at shows, and while I was gone she had opened a car door and when she slammed the door the model fell off and scratched and dented the perfect trunk lid, and she was visibly upset in tears. Of course I was mad and didn't say anything much, but the trip home was fairly quiet.

This morning I could tell she was not feeling well again and needed quiet. I walked over to the shop and started cleaning up the car from the drive. I was looking at the deck lid dent and scratch and realized it didn't really matter. Here is a reminder to all of us-they are only cars, and I have told her the same thing this afternoon.

b5blue

So true, one day that ding may be a fond recalling of a good time. My Charger is battle scared and patched back and I don't care to completely erase memory held. My 3rd grade teacher said you can't love anything that can't love you back. 

chubby53

She'll always be a billion times more important than a car , good luck to you both , i hope things can improve for you both , i really know where your coming from

Alaskan_TA

The value in any vintage car is taking it out to enjoy it.

You had someone to enjoy it with.  :cheers:

We all end up with scars over the years.

Scars are well earned!

Please give her a hug?

stripedelete

kevs1969daytona

oldcarnut

Best wishes for your wife for getting better.  Today a dent, later a memory.

alfaitalia

....and at the end of the day you could get a tiny dent fixed quickly and cheaply if it bothers. I assume you have to guys who come to your house a deal with chips and little dings for probably about $80 in your money. I've had my Alfa done several times. The small ones once repaired are completely invisible...the bigger ones can sometimes be detectable.....but you really need to know where to look! With the doubtless small fortune you have in your wing it will be a drop in the ocean. And yes they are only cars. I sometimes worry that I'm getting too precious with my build and I'm trying for a level of perfection that will not survive 10 minutes on our crowded UK roads without a mark.....we will see! Good luck with you car and your other half. :2thumbs:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

chargervert

Most of a Daytonas trunk lid is covered by the stripe,If the dent is where the stripe is,it can be repaired and a new decal installed. If it is where the paint shows,it is a very small area to match the paint on. It sucks,but it shouldn't be too big a deal to fix.  It was an accident,it isn't like she meant to do it.  My wife and stepson,thought they were helping me one day by cleaning up my garage, They put a 2x4 across the top of some nails and put paint cans on them,like a megshift shelf. I come rolling in in my freshly painted 70 Challenger R/T,and park it in the garage. I get out of the car,and go out the side door of the garage. I shut the door and I hear something fall. I reopen the garage door and I see the board and paint cans on the floor,and several half round areas of missing paint on the drivers side door. About three half round areas of missing paint to the Challengers middle bodyline.  What can you do? I can't kill em for trying to help out,and not knowing what they were doing,so I said the same thing,it's just a car,and it can be fixed!

ACUDANUT

No car is perfect anyway. Give your Wife another hug. :2thumbs:

moparstuart

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 16, 2018, 08:57:36 AM
No car is perfect anyway. Give your Wife another hug. :2thumbs:
amen  , its  a memory and story now   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Once fixed you'll be able to laugh and say "remember when"

Aero426

Hi Bob, we were in Salem Friday night on the town square with #7 and most of the day Saturday at the track for the ARCA race.   Sorry to have missed you.     Mopurr brought the Talladega over from Illinois.

Aero426

Charlie Glotzbach on the square Friday night in Salem.