News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake fluid

Started by flyinlow, September 17, 2018, 10:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Does anyone regularly flush there brake fluid?

green69rt

Yes, all my cars get a brake flush.   This is one item I usually let a garage do because they have a pressure can that blows fluid thru the system quick.  Otherwise you have to add, then bleed, add, bleed till you think you are done.  And to do a good bleed, it takes two people if done manually.

As for interval, whatever is recommended or when I see dirty fluid or about 100,000.  Can't remember interval.

I think brake fluid tends to attract water so you need to change it at some interval to keep it working right and to keep corrosion out of the system.

JR

Yes, I do it once a year in my Charger.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Charger RT

Brake fluid is hygroscopic so it naturally absorbs water over time.

2 years is usually the recommended interval for replacing fluid.

The only exception is dot 5 which is silicone based.

Bronzedodge

Yes, I do mine every 2 years.  I motice it does feel different, better after I do it.
Mopar forever!

flyinlow

Probably should add this to this winters maintenance list. Its been a few years.

b5blue

Agree, 2 years and I'm due now. I bought the thing that pumps fluid through the master so it will be easy.

alfaitalia

Every two years...which is the recommended interval on most cars if you don't want to lower the boiling point of the fluid (due to the water getting into it as said above) or have corrosion in your brake system (for the same reason!). My track bikes now run silicone brake brake fluid ( dot 5.1 ) ...never needs changing as it's not hydroscopic, provides far superior lubrication and works at much higher temps than dot 3 or 4. If your are tempted to use it, it's very important that you use dot 5.1 and NOT dot 5. DOT 5 will react unfavourably with any traces 3 and 4 left in the system whereas 5.1 won't.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

flyinlow

Quote from: alfaitalia on September 21, 2018, 12:45:44 PM
Every two years...which is the recommended interval on most cars if you don't want to lower the boiling point of the fluid (due to the water getting into it as said above) or have corrosion in your brake system (for the same reason!). My track bikes now run silicone brake brake fluid ( dot 5.1 ) ...never needs changing as it's not hydroscopic, provides far superior lubrication and works at much higher temps than dot 3 or 4. If your are tempted to use it, it's very important that you use dot 5.1 and NOT dot 5. DOT 5 will react unfavourably with any traces 3 and 4 left in the system whereas 5.1 won't.

I thought about Dot 5 (use Valvoline synthetic 3, 4 now) I thought the drawback to Dot 5 was lower lubrication causing increased seal wear. Dot 5.1 fixed this? Guess I need to do some homework.

Dot 5 is silicone based and not compatible with other brake fluids.

Dot 5.1 is still glycol based and compatible with all Dot 3 and 4 brake fluid and retains similar specs to Dot 5. Dot 5.1 is still hydroscopic so it absorbs water and still needs replacing every few years.

alfaitalia

Quote from: 440 on September 21, 2018, 11:09:13 PM
Dot 5 is silicone based and not compatible with other brake fluids.

Dot 5.1 is still glycol based and compatible with all Dot 3 and 4 brake fluid and retains similar specs to Dot 5. Dot 5.1 is still hydroscopic so it absorbs water and still needs replacing every few years.

Correct....my mistake. That's what posting at work does!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!