News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 project

Started by gingercharger88, September 18, 2018, 02:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gingercharger88

Hey I got a 68 charger that came with everything except for a suspension. I have an 8 3/4 rear axel and leaf springs. I'm not sure what the part number is on the springs. I need help with finding a good suspension kit. So any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

c00nhunterjoe

Depends on what you want to do.
Drag race- caltracs.
Stock- stock
Spirited driving- firm feel.

JB400

Are you looking to go with stock torsion bars and rear leafs or step into coil springs?  Stock control arms or tubular?

JR

You're leaving it open ended here.

Are you looking for just a bushing kit to fit in a stock front end? Or are you asking for recommendations on an entire replacement suspension, like the Riley Motorsports one?

How are you planning to use the car?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

70 sublime

And how much money do you want to spend to get there
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

funknut

FYI some (if not all) of the leaf springs are right and left handed.  The PO of my 68 wasn't aware.  ;)

gingercharger88

I would love to drive this dream car every day and also take it down the drag strip a couple of times. I've seen drag racing set ups and I'm not sure if I rock stock suspension would be able to handle it or would I need to upgrade some parts and not all. To be perfectly honest I have never driven in a drag race other than with friends on a back road in Indiana. I just think that not taking it down the strip would Ben a waste of bad ass car lol.

Troy

I'd stick with stock (HD parts like what the R/Ts came with from the factory). Most "drag race" specific setups will expect you to tune them and it doesn't seem like you're nearly at that level. Plus, the stock suspension is reasonably good without too much meddling. You could get some Mopar Super Stock rear springs and/or some Caltracs to help launches but if you aren't running sticky tires I'm not sure you'll see a great benefit. Polyurethane bushings will likely improve the ride - but I wouldn't even swap them out if your rubber ones are good. Save your money. Use it for tires and gas! If you really feel the need to spend it, talk to Firm Feel and start replacing parts (rear springs and torsion bars to help cope with modern radial tires, bigger sway bars if you'd like to turn - but not so useful for drags, chassis stiffening for any sort of performance improvements, etc.).

Other people will gladly spend your money for you. Aftermarket suspension setups easily run into the thousands of dollars but, for the most part, won't really help the "average" guy putting out mostly stock power in a street car. I have never bothered to take any of my cars to the drag strip (partially because, compared to modern cars, they really aren't that fast but also because of my dad's stories about ruining his favorite car). I'm honestly not all that interested in driving in a straight line. Besides, these cars are so cool that you really don't need to prove anything to anyone.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

c00nhunterjoe

My charger is still sporting the origonal suspension from 1969 and the car is deep into the 10s in the 1/4 mile. Stock parts would be fine. Race parts will make it et better. In your case i would reccomend going with firmfeel parts. Their stock style leaf springs and 1" bars will be more then adequate for a nice street cruiser. Throw in some tubular upper control arms and a reprogrammed steering box.