News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

best weather stripping on the market currently?

Started by resq302, September 18, 2018, 10:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

In preparation for restoring my gtx vert, I noticed that someone had put an incorrect passenger side door weather stripping on and glued it in place instead of using the clips since the holes did not line up.  What is the best, most correct appearing (and fitting) weather stripping out on the market now?  Metro Sponge Supersoft?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

DAY CLONA

Quote from: resq302 on September 18, 2018, 10:10:25 PM
In preparation for restoring my gtx vert, I noticed that someone had put an incorrect passenger side door weather stripping on and glued it in place instead of using the clips since the holes did not line up.  What is the best, most correct appearing (and fitting) weather stripping out on the market now?  Metro Sponge Supersoft?

When it comes to door weatherstripping, nothing beats NOS/nice original, I generally buy every manufacturers (not vendors) offering, there's only a handful, and go thru the tedious task of applying each one to see which "works" best, as the mfg's can't seem to get the CORRECT durometer and profile to co-exist in the same strip like the factory did... so it's a crap shoot at best on any one brand, what may have worked best for customer A, fits like shit for customer B, DAMHIK

resq302

I'd like to try and get an original or a NOS one but b body stuff is really hard to find NOS stuff for anymore.  I saw a trunk seal on ebay for over $3000 which I certainly can't afford at this point in my life.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

DAY CLONA

Quote from: resq302 on September 19, 2018, 05:12:25 AM
I'd like to try and get an original or a NOS one but b body stuff is really hard to find NOS stuff for anymore.  I saw a trunk seal on ebay for over $3000 which I certainly can't afford at this point in my life.

I'll usually buy a set of doors at a swap meet just for the seals...

RJS

Brian and Mike, a little off topic but my 72 still has original weather strip and although it looks perfect the pass. door will at times squeak. I adjusted the striker in move just for a test and the squeak will stop.  So what would be a good product to put on the weather strip to maybe stop the squeaking?
Ron

resq302

Meguiars number 40 Rubber and Vinyl cleaner / conditioner.  I put it on the original ones on Dad's GTX and while it is a water based solution, it will keep them soft and a little slick to prevent squeaks. 
Brian