News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 Question

Started by mopar0166, September 19, 2018, 07:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

Ive got 4 disc setup in the 63 pushbutton. Runs 10.40s at 129mph. Hasnt had a freshen up since 2009.... still going strong.

mopar0166

Thanks guys I appreciate all the great advice.  From what I'm gathering, the upgrades are limited , and also limited to how accurately its built.  I'm going to be present during the rebuild this winter so I trying to be as knowledgeable as possible for when questions may come up. 

c00nhunterjoe

The upgrades are limitless really. Its how much do you need vs how much do you want vs how much can you spend. I can build you a 5,000 727 if you want, but do you need it?

mopar0166

Yea I realize that,  I think what have setup now should work, I just need to further investigate the failure and then look in more a temp issue.  I got a really good book at Carlisle this weekend which had some good insight as well. 

another related question I got from the guy I know is about the rear gear ration and tire size.  Am I putting to much pressure on the transmission etc.  might be a stupid question but all avenues are worth looking at .

c00nhunterjoe

If your guy is telling you that your rear gear ratio caused your trans to break, you need a new guy.

mopar0166

kinda thought it was a non issue.    I shouldn't be having issues if I'm running 3.23s or 3.55s   with 27560r15s

Any preferred source to get parts from?  I was leaning towards A&A or Monster.

c00nhunterjoe

Ive run 2.76s with a 275/60. I have 5.13s on 32x13.5s on another. 4.10s and a 32x13.5 on another. G60 14s and 3 73s on another. 4.88s an 30x9s on the last. The converter has the potential to cause more issues then the gears.
   I have not personally used monster. But have used a&a, cope, and direct from chrysler. Depends on what parts you are looking for.

mopar0166

As of right now I don't think ill need anything more then a good rebuild kit and maybe add a fan to my external cooler and temp gauage.  Id like to make other upgrades, but only if itll be truly beneficial.

I'm going to also have to change out the kickdown cable again to the one recommended.  A lot of what I have read says to upgrade the planetarys, but if I remember right that was already done.

The converter was B&M Holeshot 2400 Torque Converter is there something better for street performance etc. 

thanks

c00nhunterjoe

A 2400 should not cause any heat problems. A stock converter behind a mild 440 will flash at that rpm if not higher. Definatly install the gauge and monitor temps since you feel heat has killed them all.

Calif240

Mopar0166... I know nothing compared to the other posters on here... but my transmission is a 727 behind a 450-500HP 440. It was built by A&A, and I'll never deal with anyone else. They were amazing to deal with and super knowledgeable. I've had zero issues with mine, it shifts awesome, and they only put in performance upgrades where they recommended based on how I told them I was gonna use the car. It is a manual valve body and I have no issues running on the street. Not sure if that helps you any...
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

mopar0166

Thanks for the input.  Its most likely gonna be a winter project for me at this point.  I hurt my back three weeks ago so ive been taking it easy.   

Or I guess I could just go to mopar get the new 426 hemi and transmission.   I'm kinda an old school guy but Id consider that.   

Happy Halloween everyone.

mopar0166

So I have been looking into rebuilding my transmission vs buying one from monster or AA.  I have not dropped it yet but I'm looking forward to that joy in January.  Any recommendations,  Ill update this once I have the transmission out and evaluated in January.   Merry Christmas everyone.   :cheers:

c00nhunterjoe

Get a factory service manual and a huge workbench so that you can spread every peice out in order.

mopar0166

Sounds good, my work bench is 16x4 I should be able to spread it out nicely.  I still have a sneaky idea that the cause is ether heat or the kickdown linkage/ pressure.  I was present during the first reassembly and we tripled checked everything.  Had zero issues until this September.  Well ill keep y'all updated with pics etc this winter.  Merry Christmas everyone.   :cheers:

mopar0166

ok, I'm seriously considering getting the monster in a box rebuild kit to start.   Its the Dodge 727 SS Monster Transmission Complete Rebuild Kit, and on sale for 567, which would also will allow room in my budget to get additional parts beyond a rebuild kit.    Does anyone have an opinion on these, I know chevy guys love them but haven't found any reviews from mopar guys. 

Thanks

https://www.monstertransmission.com/Dodge-727-SS-Monster-Transmission-Complete-Rebuild-Kit_p_11984.html#.XCzgizYm5es

mopar0166

On to plan B,  I have encountered some serious health issues.  So I wont be able to do what I planned, but I guess my thought at this point is to see the cost to have the car taken somewhere for them to rebuild it.    Does anyone know what that would cost and any good recommendations in Central NJ. 

Thanks

mopar0166

Im back at it,  Ive been dealing with treatment for cancer.  ill get a few initial pics up during disassembly.

mopar0166

pic1

mopar0166

pic2

mopar0166

pic3

mopar0166

pic4

mopar0166

More about the trans.  It was originally a std 1976 passenger transmission that was upgraded by TCI to a super street fighter.  It was rebuilt again about three years ago.   It started to slip on 1st this fall. 

What are the thoughts on upgrading the planterys from 3 pinion to 4; and what upgrades can be done to thrustvwashers.  Fiber vs pvc. Roller.  The drums I think are fine I have a high flow plum and a good valve body. 

Opinion on the front clutch retainer springs I have 9.  Book says 12 to 15 for high performance?

John_Kunkel

The pinion count isn't the weak point of the planetaries, the spline in the aluminum front planet carrier is the weak point and the 3-pinion planetary is actually stronger in that area. Roller thrust bearings are nice but expensive and you'll never see a gain in performance.

The idea of more springs in the front clutch is to prevent excessive overlap on the 2-3 upshift, if you're not experiencing that leave it as is. The burned front clutches suggest maybe you do have overlap problems.

What's a "high flow plum"?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mopar0166

My mistake that was pump.  I can take more pics of the internal components tomorrow.  Is there any reason the forward thirst washer is call it would fail/melt.  What's the best option?  I'm kinda thinking I may have kick down issues so I'm looking at options to replace the lokar cable.  Not sure if a stock setup would fit on my motor with an eddy intake and holly dp.    I really appreciate the input it's going to really help me  and I hope others.   :cheers:

John_Kunkel

OK, what's a high flow pump? All 727 pumps flow the same and, yes, your Lokar could be a problem.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.