News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 Question

Started by mopar0166, September 19, 2018, 07:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar0166

So looked over the parts again looks like the front band may have been a bit loose because of the condition of that band and clutches. The reverse/kickdown drum did look worn but the wear on the the band was way uneven.  Showing the low reverse drum may be warped.  The heat generated by the front drum not catching the band may have melted the thrust washer next to pump.  In my novice opinion.  

mopar0166

We are going to move forward with another rebuild, and double check tests prior and after install.   I did notice the kick down level had no ratio on it, so that will be replaced to ensure we know how tight that band should be beyond fsm.  Im told there is a chart for each ratio. 

John_Kunkel

Using the turns out from 72 in. lbs. adjustment procedure:

Lever ratio        Turns out

5.0                   1 1/2
4.2                   1 3/4
3.8                   2
3.2                   2 1/4
2.9                   2 1/2

With the pan off, you can use a 5/16" or 3/8" thick gauge between the lever and the servo plunger to adjust the band.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mopar0166

Thanks John, that's great info. 

mopar0166

For my own clarification,

When looking at performance clutches, are they the same for the front and rear drum or are there differences.  Reason I ask is, I noticed two different part numbers when looking up parts.  one is A-727 Front Clutch red 727-28740 and the other is A-727 Rear Clutch Plate 727-28742.

justcruisin

They are a different thickness, they need to have the correct clearance so the stack height effects this. Apart from the thickness they are the same.

mopar0166

That's for the response, ill have to keep that in mind.  I took out 5 in the front and 4 out of the rear drum

mopar0166

Anyone have a suggestion for placement of a transmission temp gauge. 

I don't think I wanna cut a hole in the dash, I have my CB under the ash tray.  I guess I could mount in under the dash frame. 

If you have any ideas please let me know.

mopar0166

Parts have come in , rebuild will begin next week.

John_Kunkel

Most MVB's don't apply the rear band in 1st gear so the rear band wear I alluded to isn't a problem.

mopar0166

Thanks for the response John. 

I'm currently running a Turbo Action Cheetah Manual/Automatic Valve Bodies 17676.  I didn't think there was any issues with it. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tac-17676

mopar0166

the low reverse drum  why do some have holes and others do not

John_Kunkel

Balancing, the holes are material removed to balance the drum.

mopar0166

Thanks John,

I was looking through all the manuals I had and could not find any answers.  I had to replace the lower reverse drum due to the one I had was junk.  I will start posting pics soon of assemble etc.   

I guess another good question to ask would be about preinstallation testing and then post installation testing

Id probably start with end play
air tests
then move to pressure testes when installed and then temp

mopar0166

pre-assembly

mopar0166

Ran into a clearance issue,  the front drum is suppose to have .082 to .121 clearance from snap ring is that correct and should FSM specs be used in non stock applications.

Determined the input hub was bad as well.  Has any rebuilt a cheetah turbo action 17676 valve body?  im going to call the manufacture today to hopefully get s specs 

John_Kunkel

There are various thickness snap rings to adjust the clearance. A commonly recommended clearance is .012"-.015" clearance for each friction disc...IOW for a 4-disc drum .048"-.060".

Valve bodies aren't "rebuilt", merely disassemble and clean.

mopar0166

Thanks John I should of clarified more.   I meant disassembled and being cleaned.   Thing is on this valve body there is two gaskets.  I called turbo action with model number but it wasn't enough, I'll need the serial number as well.   Also very little info on them available as far as diagrams or torque specs. 

I'll be checking clearance and thickness of snap rings tonight again. I saw there was a thicker steel as well to use.  Once I have the numbers tonight I'll post them.   

mopar0166

with the recommended clearance  .012"-.015" clearance for each friction disc...IOW for a 4-disc drum .048"-.060". 

whats the best method to take up room?  I ordered a thicker snap ring, but it wont be near .60   Currently its around .128"  Do I had another steel on top of pressure plate?

What have people done to tighten it up?

mopar0166

Found a couple issues when assembling the drums, had to order new pressure plates and snap rings to make up clearance.  Found different size clutches mixed in drums to make clearances etc  Steels were all the same. 

final assembly is Friday with bench tests, Saturday will be install and op testing.   crossing my fingers

John_Kunkel

Actually, there are different thickness steel plates too. Typically .070" and .090".

mopar0166

Thanks again John, and for your patience. 

I have learned even more this time around. 

So both the clutch packs are now in good clearance, I had to replace the top pressure plate and use a smaller snap ring to accomplish that.  I did have the opportunity to get smaller steels but wanted to try this method first.

It looks good but final assembly is tonight and ill have to keep everyone updated.  I think have the issues stem from having to fix all the crap that TCI put in this transmission from the start. 

mopar0166

Two more questions. 

I'm getting zero line pressure via gauge and use if center test port.  I'm running a cheetah vb, could it have the accumulator feed blocked?  I'm getting good pressure via the rear test port around 95.   Would that be considered to high? 

John_Kunkel

Yes, many aftermarket VB's block the accumulator so there will be no pressure reading there.

mopar0166

John, what is our opinion

Do know where I can find what gap is needed between the kickdown valve an lever inside trans.

It seems like I have a lot of movement on the throttle lever above the shifter lever. I would say its a 1/4" or more of movement from forward to back before u feel it engage on valve.