News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Speedo help pls!

Started by skippychad, September 19, 2018, 04:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skippychad

Hey this is for a 1969 charger, 383 base car.
I have redone my dash completely and purchased a brand new set of repro gauges from classic industries.  Everything works except the speedo.  The speedo does move some, but not nearly as much to match the speed im going.  The odometer turns at a good rate.  I replaced the cable and housing too....and as I said...the odometer turns at a good rate, I think.  I removed the gear from the trans and that looked good.  I haven't broken into the rear diff yet to match the trans gear with diff gear, but Im assuming they should match but I am not the original owner of the car and don't know that history.  the Little history is that the original speedo did the same thing.  any ideas?  thanks!

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

skippychad

I believe Im traveling at about 25-30 mph and the needle is bobbing around 10mph

Charger-Bodie

Do you have the gear housing clocked correctly for the number of teeth?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

skippychad

I believe I have a red 26 tooth gear and the 26-31 stamp is aligned with the round elevated mark.    Im guessing that's right

skippychad

Ill probably pull the gear out tomorrow and double check that though

skippychad

yeah...26 tooth red gear.  confirmed.   aligned with 26-31 mark

Charger-Bodie

Is the cable touted with a bind in it? That's a ver small gear

skippychad

cable seems good.  slides solidly into the gear and speedo.  Im leaning towards the rear diff having a different setup versus the gear size

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: skippychad on September 20, 2018, 10:24:01 AM
cable seems good.  slides solidly into the gear and speedo.  Im leaning towards the rear diff having a different setup versus the gear size

I think your right about that for the low reading,but it shouldn't make it bounce.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: skippychad on September 19, 2018, 04:24:52 PM
I haven't broken into the rear diff yet to match the trans gear with diff gear. 

No need to open the rear end to determine the gear ratio, easily accomplished from the outside.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Alaskan_TA

Try taking the cable loose at the pinion gear in the transmission.

Then gently twist the inner cable while pushing it up in the lining.

Sometimes they slide into the speedometer head, but not quite enough so they need a little help.....

Dino

You didn't accidentally 'lock' the speedo did you? The large round metal disc on the rear of the speedo moves and when you push it toward the face it prevents it from working properly. What the point of it is I don't know but I've had this issue before. Reach behind the speedometer, grab the disc and give it a gentle pull. You should feel it click.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

skippychad

it may be possible the cable isn't seated all of the way or backs off as im installing it.    A while back..20 years or so I bought a cable and there were metal swedged squared tips on the ends.  The new cable and housing I received a few months ago didn't have those, rather the cable was squared on each end..   Seems like they would help keep the cable from disengaging. 

skippychad

disconnected the cable from the trans and attached  a Makita to it and spun it.  seems like the speedo works smoothly.   Question.  at idle, where does the speedo needle rest?   Mine is just right of the first zero in the odometer.   well below the zero in the mph

BLK 68 R/T

Are you asking where it should rest at idle in park or idling around in drive?

skippychad

its in park or drive idling....reading just right of first zero odometer

skippychad

ad I am asking where does the mph needle usually rest in park/drive when idling

John_Kunkel

Quote from: skippychad on September 21, 2018, 09:52:43 AM
Question.  at idle, where does the speedo needle rest?   Mine is just right of the first zero in the odometer.   well below the zero in the mph

It's broke; with the car sitting still, the needle should be at zero on the mph scale. A pic would help.

skippychad

well...I guess ill see how good customer service is at classic industries

John_Kunkel

If it came from Classic Industries with the needle out of position, it's their bad; the needle simple pulls straight out off its shaft and goes back on its shaft with a firm thumb push.

skippychad

I looked at it and the needle stop is off with the needle position.  once the speedo stop is where it should be I can then move the needle to the proper potion.  Unsure if that will mess up the calibration or not.  reinstalled the speed into the cluster...just waiting for a day off now to install the cluster and check it out again

skippychad

Classic industries customer service was exceptional!  sent me a new gauge...works great!

darbgnik

Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html