News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need adhesive advice

Started by Dino, September 20, 2018, 02:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Both dash pads on either side of the steering wheel have come loose, quite a bit. The part that houses the central air vents is almost completely detached from the metal backing.

I will need a thick gap filling glue that penetrates the old foam so I can repair this. I've used a loctite construction adhesive that was advertised as instant grip, but no workie on the pads. Maybe windshield glue?   :shruggy:

It needs to bond pretty quickly so I can hold it in place while it sets. Anything like that out there?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Might try the adhesive that they glue panels on the side of busses? I don't know if Sikaflex is available in the US. The other one is construction adhesive possibly, can't think of too many other solitions that would be long lasting.

PlainfieldCharger

Dino, had this problem on my restore. I used a dremel tool to remove a thin layer of the old material so I could get a better bond. I then used 2 part epoxy (model airplane) used tape and weight and let it cure over night..still holding 4 years later...VRC hobbies 30 min. It is waterproof and can be mixed with particles to strengthen it. I have also made molds and created replacment pieces with it.... :Twocents:

Dino

Thanks for the tip!

I just need to fill some gaps on the larger lower dash pad, everything else I was able to fix with super glue. I'll get some of that epoxy.   :cheers:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

3M Black trim adhesive is super sticky and drys fast.

PlainfieldCharger

you can purchase beads that mix in and make it mold-able. I repaired an interior rear interior qrt from a convertible. made a mold from a good one. Used extra fine fiber glass used for model aircraft. came out really good. you can thin it brush it on items, dries to a high gloss and it water proof. I use it for every thing I would use glue for...