News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Picked up another toy today

Started by 70 sublime, September 20, 2018, 10:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

3 years ago I had sold my FJ 5 70 R/T to buy some solar panels on the roof of our barn

Watching the Ontario Kijiji classifieds everyday for the last couple of years has payed off
I came across a 70 Charger project that was not listed in the classic car section but was just listed in the regular parts section
The ad was 5 hours old when I saw it but was the first to reply at 3:00 in the afternoon
Said I would like to come that evening to see it but the seller was busy so we set up a time of noon the next day
Car was 2 1/2 hours away from my house  :(
Was the first there and bought it on the spot
Another guy showed up but I had already payed and was loading loose parts in my truck
Unfortunately the owner had passed away and it was an estate sale and the son was cleaning out the garage as the house was sold

There were so many boxes and stuff to move I was glad to not have tried to move it all in one trip

So since every one likes pictures here are a few of my adventure that I completed today

This is what I saw when I went to look at it

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

70 sublime

Stopped to check the chains ( had to add one bolt to front fender ) and grab some lunch

Got home pulled the 69 out for now to sort out the 70

70 sublime

The 70 had no rear end when I picked it up and the K frame was in the front and the suspension only half hooked up ( disc brakes on the front  :2thumbs: )
Glad the trailer had a winch and I managed to get a couple wheel skates under the frame to roll it on with

So got it unloaded and slide into the shop

70 sublime

Some of the parts that came with it
Each picture is different stuff
No motors came with this car just ended up piling parts on top of them to save space

70 sublime

Dash looks to have been redone already ( Nice and white not the regular yellow look to it )

70 sublime

The car has no fender tag and the VIN shows it was just a 318 car originally
The body has been totally sand blasted and there is zero original paint left on it
I have some pictures that came with the car and it was guess what ?? Originally dark green  ;)
Has the A/C firewall and dash that it originally came with

So the plan for now will be to get 4 wheels under it and seal up all the exposed metal till I can get back to it

Question

There are a lot of AMD black parts on it now
What will need to be done to the black to get paint to stick to it and what will be the best sealer to use around the black to seal up around the ground down spot welds ??
Hood and front valance are totally bare and need something on them too

70 sublime

Tomorrow is supposed to be rain so I will have time to snoop through the rest of the boxes  :cheers:

Also came with nice re chromed ? or new front and back bumpers

Plastic grill is nice with no missing fins and just a couple cracks ( one each side ) by the top of the door opening where the plastic is narrow 

JB400

Congrats.  Looks like that will keep you busy for a couple weeks

BIGBLCK11

:cheers:  Congrats!  Looks like a great project.

60Buick

Very nice! Congrats! It looks like all the rusty panels have been taken care of for you as well.

I'm glad it went to a good home. :2thumbs:

A lot of them are not so lucky. I saw a super nice 66 Charger end up getting scrapped as well as a 51 Packard. The kids just see an old junk car. Estate sales are a good place to look too. We have had good luck over the last few years and saved a few.

2 years ago my wife and I bought a 41 Ford Business coupe and a 48 Ford F100 from one estate sale. They were in the barn and the owner had died. Both we headed to the crusher. We gave $500 for both. The scrap guy had already taken the Model T before we got there and was on his way back for another when we expressed interest and bought the last 2 vehicles in the barn. They didn't even advertise them, they more interested in selling furnature.

I scored a 74 Checker for next to nothing. It was listed on CL as "old car" $200. It was "sold" but I left work and went over anyway. The guy that was coming to get it was a scrapper, I put money in hand and promised to have it gone before he even got there. The owner had died and a realtor was selling the house. I put a battery in it and drove it home. I gave it a bath and was at a car show in it 2 days later. I drove it to work yesterday, fun car to own.

My latest is a baby blue 79 Ford Wagon, single headlight version, fewer than 500 were built. It was being sold because the owner had died. It was cheap and raised the attention of the demo derby guys. That's another good place to watch,  the derby groups. I was able to jump on it and save it. It is mint other than a bad transmission. I will fix it and be the care taker add long as I'm able to.
1968 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1960 Plymouth Belvedere
1953 Dodge M43 Army Ambulance
1965 Dodge M43 Marine Corp Ambulance
1975 Plymouth Gran Fury Police car clone
1962 Plymouth Valiant Taxi cab
1974 AMC Gremlin XR-401 clone
1974 AMC Hurst Rescue Gremlin clone
1974 AMC Gremlin X
1975 AMC Pacer D/L

CDN72SE

Nice find and glad that you acted quickly.  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

Back N Black

70 sublime

Yes every single piece that could have had rust on it from the firewall back has been replaced with AMD black parts
A couple spots still need to be welded up
70 front fenders and hood and valance are original parts and need some help but the worst has been taken care of

Has boxes and boxes of new little bits for it ( door handles wind shield washer bottle ... )
Even new chrome front and back bumpers
About the only motor stuff was a carb and a power steering pump

I have nothing for a rear end so that is my first thing to round up just to get it to roll

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

paironines

Just goes to show that all Charger projects arent 15k shells. Unless you only look on ebay. Good score.

hemi-hampton

Maybe you'll find the fender tag in a box or envelope. Good Luck & Congrats. LEON.

70 sublime

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 22, 2018, 11:45:42 AM
Maybe you'll find the fender tag in a box or envelope. Good Luck & Congrats. LEON.

I have looked through all the papers ( guy had a couple binders of history on the car ) but no fender tag
By the VIN it was a 318 car but by the paper work the guy had a couple different 440 motors in the car in the past heading towards an R/T clone
So I will not feel bad if it gets painted FJ 5 in its future  :2thumbs:

darbgnik

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 22, 2018, 01:18:32 PM

So I will not feel bad if it gets painted FJ 5 in its future  :2thumbs:

Sounds like a good idea, in my unbiased opinion.....
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Baldwinvette77

nice pile of junk you got there buddy  :P    :cheers:

70 sublime

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on September 22, 2018, 09:03:34 PM
nice pile of junk you got there buddy  :P    :cheers:

YOU are the expert on what junk is  :hah:

70 sublime

Finally got enough parts together to get 4 wheels on the car so I can move it
Will not be much action on this one for a while as I will be working on my 69 Charger project

VegasCharger

6pkrtse

1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

70 sublime

Well a little update

I have been rounding up a few parts while tinkering on the 69
The 69 works great even though it looks like crap I am thinking I will just leave it be because if I take it apart might not get back on the road for spring

So will get the 70 back in the shop for this winters project

Got a nice set of black bucket seats with the 6 way adjuster  :2thumbs:
Got them from a forum member  :2thumbs:
Said they used to be in his buddies Superbird when he picked them up

70 sublime

A833 pistol grip  :yesnod:
Also got the proper cross member with it

Still have to sort out a clutch and flywheel set up for it

A little story with it
I had a hernia last winter and my repair operation kept getting bumped so when I went to pick this up I still had not been fixed up yet
Thought o well seller could help me load it
When I got there the seller was in a wheel chair and had no legs
So I could not screw myself up much worse than I was I lifted in myself
( lucky I bought it when I did because I could not lift anything like this for a very long time after the operation )

70 sublime

Well I had some cash show up that I was never expecting to get back and just happened to see this for sale so ......

This spring I drove my 69 100 miles from home to meet this guy which also drove 100 miles to meet me half way ( he drove a 72 Dodge Monaco )

70 sublime

Well now I have a 4 speed and a 6 pack just need the big piece for in between

I sold off a few odds and ends and got some cash rounded up

I ended up with a 1972 Marine block that had just came back from machine shop before I picked it up bored 60 over
Got a set of closed chamber heads
6 pack rods
New pistons
And a steel crank that was turned 10 under and is drilled for the 4 speed  :icon_smile_big:

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

TexasStroker

Nice, congrats on the haul...should be a fun project!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

70 sublime

Well we finished the last odd jobs today in the farm shop so I will be moving the car in for the winter project very soon

Have a bit of house cleaning and couple big blocks to get stored out of the way to make some floor space then play time begins  :2thumbs:

So one of the first things I will need to sort out is the floor was welded in by former owner then pulled apart again on the passenger side front seat area by the rocker

Question

Is the pinch rail that starts by to door hinge and goes down to run along the top of the door sill then back up the back of the door frame again a square box ? As in measures the same across side to side at every location ?

70 sublime

Well to start the new year off right I thought it was the perfect day on January 1 2021 to move my car from my house garage to the farm shop

To move the car I rolled it out of the garage then cranked the wheels as far as they would go and let it go down hill to get turned the right direction
To move dead stuff around we have an old 8 foot long piece of pipe I just threaded a piece of chain through
Bolt one end to the K frame of the car and the tractor has a hook welded on in the middle of the loader for the other end
Had to get off the tractor a few times to steer the car but slow and steady got it there
I was going to say in one piece but as you can see it is in many pieces

Last picture is January 2

Ha ha guess I picked the right day to move it

70 sublime

Jan 2

This car is a part done project that I got from an estate so I have no clue the status of things so figure I should get some parts together and see how things are fitting

So yesterday I scrounged up the hood hinges and got the hood on
Doing this by myself I usually use the engine crane to hold one end but it was stuck behind the car
So a block of wood and the shovel proved to be the right amount of length to hold the point ( no I would not do it this way if everything was painted pretty )
Got it half fitting but could not get the fenders to sit flat as they should
They just wanted to roll in some

70 sublime

I had another fender as the passenger one looks kind of ugly so thought I would give it a try

Also remembered the car came with a chunk of the rad support as the old owner had changed all the front pieces with new parts
Hmmm

Got to looking at the panels that go from the rad opening to the inner fenders
Do not look the same

I guess he used 68 69 style and not 70
There was no place to bolt the fender to the panel
Also no hole for the battery tray either

Guess he kept the old part as a pattern of where to add a couple holes in his new pieces

70 sublime

So tomorrows project will be to get front apart again and make some holes and attach the threaded blocks like it had originally

I feel this may be a theme with this car
Put stuff together and take apart again to make adjustments

I already know there are no holes for the stainless trim clips around the back window

70 sublime

update

Just getting the fenders and doors lined up

Hood needs to move ahead just a slight bit more on pass side

ACUDANUT

Cool project !! How is the frame rails and underbody look ?