News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seat belt pictures

Started by Dino, September 21, 2018, 05:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Since I've got enough stuff going on, there's no need for me to try and adapt aftermarket seat belts right now. Instead of reusing the totally worthless lap belts I'm contemplating using the 3 point belts XV used to market. I never wanted them because they hang from the ceiling, but safety first.

Anyone have a pic of them installed in a 68 or 69?

Who sells these by the way?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ryan.C

I wish I could post pictures of the set I ordered from Year One 3 months ago. But they have not arrived yet. :brickwall:

Hopefully someone will chime in so I can cancel my order and buy them from someone who has them in stock.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Dino

I just saw a set on Classicindustries but I'm not paying $325 for the pair. Not even close! These used to be around $150 for the pair and that's about all I'd pay.

Dino

Ryan.C

Dino

Ask for a group discount!   :lol:

Ryan.C

Quote from: Dino on September 21, 2018, 05:49:11 PM
Ask for a group discount!   :lol:

I think I will. Two does count as a group right?

Dino

darbgnik

Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Dino

Looks like it may work. I wonder which belts have the most drop down from the roof. The original belts are more of a big necklace!   :lol:

I'm optimistic Ryan will get us a great deal from XV!   :icon_smile_big:

Fonzy

Was thinking of upgrading my belts to three point belts as well but after a brief conversation with a mate who's deeply involved in BMW's crash simulations I reconsidered. According to him there isn't too much difference in the outcome once you reach a certain amount of speed (>30mph). The most important thing is to drive safely, be cautious and have a good portion of luck in case one gets into trouble.

Ryan.C

WHITE AND RED 69

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Ryan.C

Oh good, thanks  :cheers:

Just wondering how did you come across that info?

WHITE AND RED 69

I ordered a set for a Duster project I'm working on about a week ago. Chris at XV let me know that he had one belt in stock and that more were coming in.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Mike DC

QuoteWas thinking of upgrading my belts to three point belts as well but after a brief conversation with a mate who's deeply involved in BMW's crash simulations I reconsidered. According to him there isn't too much difference in the outcome once you reach a certain amount of speed (>30mph). The most important thing is to drive safely, be cautious and have a good portion of luck in case one gets into trouble.

Not much difference compared to what?  Lap belts only?  No belts?  Is he saying you're just dead over 30 mph no matter what?  I'm struggling to make sense of this.  

Even if the window of usefulness is low I would still rather have the 3pt belts and survive the slower wrecks.  

Besides, many (most?) faster wrecks aren't literally into-a-brick-wall kind of situations.  You bounce off another car first, or a guardrail, roll over in the grass, etc.   A wreck at 60 mph might come in the form of several smaller changes in delta-V.  It's even more likely if you have the presence of mind to drive well.        

alfaitalia

Quote from: Fonzy on September 25, 2018, 04:37:09 AM
Was thinking of upgrading my belts to three point belts as well but after a brief conversation with a mate who's deeply involved in BMW's crash simulations I reconsidered. According to him there isn't too much difference in the outcome once you reach a certain amount of speed (>30mph). The most important thing is to drive safely, be cautious and have a good portion of luck in case one gets into trouble.

I find that hard to believe. You don't "fold over" a three point harness like you would using a lap belt. Probably why lap belts have not been legal on new cars (front seats at least)in most places for decades.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

darbgnik

I was in an accident as a late teen years ago, where my speed went from 60 miles an hour to 0, instantly. Hit a big tree on the highway in winter in a 1995 Ram. Was wearing a seat belt and the airbag went off. Zero injuries. Front of the truck was fuct though, lol.

I'll keep wearing a seatbelt.

That being said, a couple years ago, I was driving home from a race, late at night, over the speed limit a bit trying to make up time, and ran into fog on the highway. I had spent 2 days racing at the limit, with a full roll cage, 5 point harnesses, fire suppression system, a HANS device, approved helmet, and a full 3 layer fire suit. I distinctly remember the thought going through my mind of how unsafe my vehicle was in comparison, lol. I looked down at my little 3 point seat belt, no cage, no HANS. This thing is so unsafe for what I'm doing right now, I thought. Hahaha
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

6pkrtse

I agree on the safety thing. We put a full certified 25.5 cage (7.50's) in my 70 Challenger "street" car. It's on Drag Radial & run it in our local heads up/Grudge nights at the track but still drive it on the street.

1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic