News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stock exhaust manifolds ... gasket or no gasket?

Started by Iowa_Mopar, May 22, 2019, 03:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iowa_Mopar

I'm building a stock 68 440.  I thought I saw in the service manual that there is NO exhaust manifold gasket to be installed on the 440.  I took the exhaust manifold off the stock 383 that was in the car and it did not have an exhaust manifold gasket.  So my question:  Is there a significant down side to slapping the manifolds on naked?   The mount surface on the heads is perfect and smooth.  Test fit appears to be a seamless seal.
Thanks!

doctor4766

The FSM specifically states to use new gaskets when installing manifold.
Can't imagine there not being any.
Perhaps you read wrong

Edit: This was in the '69 manual. Maybe things had changed since '68?
Gotta love a '69

A383Wing

There were no gaskets from the factory.....when new, the surface of both the head and the manifold were flat and true....and when no gasket was used, the cylinder head helped cool the manifold while at temp.....if a gasket is installed, you loose the heat transfer properties between the head and manifold because the gasket acted like an insulator

Now, with all that said.....most here will use a small flat gasket like the shiny Fel-Pro style under each manifold opening......you can try and go the "no gasket" route....but I bet you will find that a small exhaust leak will be present.....so that would mean taking off the manifolds again, possibly breaking off a stud or two in the process

Bryan

c00nhunterjoe

Most guys i know that go that route use a small amlunt of high temp rtv.

Bronzedodge

I went with no gaskets on mine.  I replaced all the studs and sleeve nuts with new ones, had the manifolds surfaced, and a small amount of high temp rtv.
Mopar forever!

High temp rtv, let it skim up before tightening the bolts.

INTMD8

I'm in the flat/clean surfaces and thin smear of RTV camp.

I've never had a leak this way. (and have fixed many blown out gaskets with this method)
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Rolling_Thunder

I'm the opposite...    Ive always run gaskets and never had a problem...     :shruggy:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on June 13, 2019, 05:35:14 PM
I'm the opposite...    Ive always run gaskets and never had a problem...     :shruggy:

Same here
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

AKcharger

Mopar Nut

My 69 all original Charger had no gaskets from the factory.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

ACUDANUT

USE them. Unless, you want to do it twice.