News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door seals

Started by Dino, September 22, 2018, 09:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

What's the story on these nowadays? Still ill fitting or better? My original door seals are tough and have some damage, but I'll reuse them if need be.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

resq302

I'm in the same boat since I'm about to restore my new car.  I was told they are a crap shoot and are still hit or miss.  If you have decent original ones I'd still use them.  I'm looking for a nice original set myself.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

b5blue

Metro Supersoft? I thought they were the go to brand for door seals. :shruggy:

303 Mopar

Call Dave at Roseville Moparts and get Metro.  The rest are junk.   :Twocents:
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

cdr

Quote from: b5blue on September 24, 2018, 10:15:08 AM

These have worked very well on my car.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

CDN72SE

Quote from: cdr on September 24, 2018, 05:06:00 PM
Quote from: b5blue on September 24, 2018, 10:15:08 AM

These have worked very well on my car.

Ditto, bought the same for my car.
1972 Charger SE

resq302

Found an excellent original pair.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

CRW-FK5

What specifically are the issues with the repro seals?

375instroke

My car was "restored" when I got it by throwing the door seals in the trash, so I have no choice.  Go Metro, I hear?

69bfan

It all depends upon on how critical you are of the parts.  The first thing to know is that just because you get one set to work properly, it does not mean that the second set from the same manufacture will work in the same fashion.  Secondly, the bodies on these old cars are not all the same and the skills of those installing the seals can vary as well as it may be necessary to adjust the doors to the fenders and quarters.

The problem is that making rubber extrusions or anything else with rubber is very dependent on several factors.  Any slight variation impacts the final results.  Less than an ounce of a component difference, cooling temperature and time, the pressure in which the part was formed will impact the final product.  Granted, computer production has gave some uniformity to the process, but still it is a work in progress with every production run.

From my viewpoint in having been around the manufacturing and providing the product, then it is impossible to say that the product will demonstrate the same characteristics within the same product line.  Looking at the big three and basing the product on original door seals, I see the following traits.

The Metro seals are the softest and most pliable, but the profile is more "plump".  The Soff Seal brand is more correct in appearance but they also are firmer than the others in that the durometer reading is closer to the original door seals.  This is a problem in that many complain about having to slam the doors to close them.  The Steele brand can be hit or miss in both areas and for most people, they had rather not pay approximately 130% more for the seals.

Door seals and roof rail seals for the 68 to 70 B-Bodies is not as large of an issue as it is for some of the body styles.  You have to know the particular car in question as each body line has there own distinct issues.  For the 66 to 67 B-Bodies, 67 to 69 A-Body fastbacks and 71 to 74 B-Bodies, it is the roof rail seals.  The 62 to 65 B-Bodies windlace door seals is a real struggle as is the 73 to 76 A-Body door seals.

So hopefully that will give some of my personal insight based on my opinion.  But everyone will have their own personal likes and dislikes.  That is why when we put together a weatherstripping package for a customer, it may have Metro door seals, roof rail seals from Steele, quarter glass from Soff Seal, window felts from Top Cat and trunk seal from RSSI.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

CRW-FK5

Quote from: 69bfan on September 26, 2018, 08:37:59 AM
It all depends upon on how critical you are of the parts.  The first thing to know is that just because you get one set to work properly, it does not mean that the second set from the same manufacture will work in the same fashion.  Secondly, the bodies on these old cars are not all the same and the skills of those installing the seals can vary as well as it may be necessary to adjust the doors to the fenders and quarters.

The problem is that making rubber extrusions or anything else with rubber is very dependent on several factors.  Any slight variation impacts the final results.  Less than an ounce of a component difference, cooling temperature and time, the pressure in which the part was formed will impact the final product.  Granted, computer production has gave some uniformity to the process, but still it is a work in progress with every production run.

From my viewpoint in having been around the manufacturing and providing the product, then it is impossible to say that the product will demonstrate the same characteristics within the same product line.  Looking at the big three and basing the product on original door seals, I see the following traits.

The Metro seals are the softest and most pliable, but the profile is more "plump".  The Soff Seal brand is more correct in appearance but they also are firmer than the others in that the durometer reading is closer to the original door seals.  This is a problem in that many complain about having to slam the doors to close them.  The Steele brand can be hit or miss in both areas and for most people, they had rather not pay approximately 130% more for the seals.

Door seals and roof rail seals for the 68 to 70 B-Bodies is not as large of an issue as it is for some of the body styles.  You have to know the particular car in question as each body line has there own distinct issues.  For the 66 to 67 B-Bodies, 67 to 69 A-Body fastbacks and 71 to 74 B-Bodies, it is the roof rail seals.  The 62 to 65 B-Bodies windlace door seals is a real struggle as is the 73 to 76 A-Body door seals.

So hopefully that will give some of my personal insight based on my opinion.  But everyone will have their own personal likes and dislikes.  That is why when we put together a weatherstripping package for a customer, it may have Metro door seals, roof rail seals from Steele, quarter glass from Soff Seal, window felts from Top Cat and trunk seal from RSSI.

Thanks for posting this, 69bfan.  When I bought my '70 Charger I'm sure it had aftermarket seals but I don't know where they came from.  I do know that I have to slam the door (both driver and passenger sides) harder than I feel I should, as you mention above.  I also have a condition on the drivers side where the bottom of the door is pushing out significantly and I believe it may be coming from the seal (compression resistance), as I have already adjusted the door to the limits to try and get it to align properly without success.  From your comments above it sounds like maybe I need to replace the seals with the Metro brand versions.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Dino on September 22, 2018, 09:24:59 PM
What's the story on these nowadays? Still ill fitting or better? My original door seals are tough and have some damage, but I'll reuse them if need be.

Whoa, man....I thought you were past this point.   :icon_smile_big:

We talked about seals back in 2013.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97925.msg1148483.html#msg1148483

Dino

Quote from: HeavyFuel on October 09, 2018, 03:36:48 PM
Quote from: Dino on September 22, 2018, 09:24:59 PM

Whoa, man....I thought you were past this point.   :icon_smile_big:

We talked about seals back in 2013.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97925.msg1148483.html#msg1148483

Yeah well I had a few degrees to finish first!   :lol:

Took this pic a few minutes ago. First time out in years and 5 minutes later it's raining cats & dogs. No seals, no hood.   :lol:

cdr

Car looks AWESOME !!!! :coolgleamA:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dino

jlatessa

Nice! What wheels are those?

Thanks, Joe

HeavyFuel

Quote from: cdr on October 09, 2018, 04:30:45 PM
Car looks AWESOME !!!! :coolgleamA:

For sure.

Looks like you're getting close.   Fuel Cap?

Dino

Fuel cap is in a box somewhere. The interior is pretty bare so long way to go. All the important bits have gone from green to black though!   :2thumbs:

Sorry about the white haze on the left side, my camera lens is cracked.

Dino

Quote from: jlatessa on October 09, 2018, 11:32:28 PM
Nice! What wheels are those?

Thanks, Joe

17" MB Old School wheels from Discount Tire