News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

roof skin help

Started by Dreamcar, September 28, 2018, 07:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

I really want to get the roof skin on soon, and need some advice.

The factory used a sealer/adhesive between the roof skin and the support bows. What the best product to replace that with? It's been suggested to use urethane seam sealer because it has a bonding property but still flexible. I know the factory stuff popped right off for me and, although it was very old, i doubt the bonding needs to be super strong as then it would not be as flexible.

Any suggestions?
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

68 charger freak

I would check out 3m 08463 foam .I wouldn't use seam sealer ,it tends to dry hard and sometimes shrinks .
68 charger, pro touring build ,mini tub,528 wedge,magnum-xl 6 speed,rms alterkation,martz 4 link,moser 8.75,custom interior

Dreamcar

I spoke with a career body man...panel bond is too strong and not really flexible. The roof skin is welded all the way around anyway. For the center bows, he recommended Fusor 804hd. Its a urethane sealer/adhesive that stays flexible but adheres well to metall. I know when I removed the factory roof skin, whatever the factory used was not ultra strong (like modern panel bond)
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

Mike DC

Another vote not to rigid-bond the roof skin to the support bows.  

Use rigid bonding on the perimeter if you want.  But any time you attach the skin to both the bows and the perimeter (welding, bonding, etc), you are asking for ripples in the skin just from normal unibody flexing.  

Highbanked Hauler

I did  the bows in mine with 3M urethane seam sealer which is quite firm but not solid like bonding adheasive.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Dreamcar

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on November 09, 2018, 09:52:13 PM
I did  the bows in mine with 3M urethane seam sealer which is quite firm but not solid like bonding adheasive.

I ended up using the Fusor 804HD stuff. What you are describing sounds exactly the same. It turned pretty well.