News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger Attention

Started by jefferson, September 28, 2018, 08:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jefferson

Okay, so finally got my 68 RT charger on the road. Driven a few times now and man has it been the most fun ive had in a longggggggggggggggg time. I cant get enough, only been very short drives less than 15-20minutes at a time ATM but now i understand from the other thread the attention they bring.

First time. Every single person walking on the sidewalk as i drove past stood and stared.
Going thru the mall parking lot, seemed as tho everyone had crooked neck syndrome and just stared as i drove past, One bloke looked like he was orgasming and muttered WOAH under his lips
another bloke crossing the crossings kid said, wow dad whats that, he said, shes beautiful and smiled at me as i drove past. Second time, had my mum in the car and stopped at the lights, bloke walking his dog gave the biggest G-force grin ive ever seen and gave me the thumbs up and kept nodding his head multiple times hahaha. Mum just burst out laughing and smiled back, Today had my miissus in the car, stopped at the lights with the windows down, turn my head and some bloke and his wife yelled out HEY mate, i turned and said gday, he then said the following, did yaa import her from the states? i said yep sure did mate, he said wow mate shes gorgeous, how long did it take to get here, i said over 6 months in total mate, he said are they hard to get ? I said, good luck finiding and getting one here mate hahaha, he laughed also and smiled and said, enjoy her mate shes a beaut as the lights turned green i said yea cheers mate and drove off.

thats all in less than id say, 20 minutes drive time total.

What is yet to come? More light talks? Servo people coming up to me as i fill up?

My problem is i have anger issues and i flick angrily. But been told when im driving to remain calm and polite because dont want anyone getting out and damaging the car. I am on meds when i feel the need to control my anger, but i just would not cope well if anyone was to touch my car or try and get to personal with it or whatever. Its a part of me now and feels like a second girlfriend haha.

What do you all do? Whats your stories? Im aware there is another thread about this, but anymore recent stories of the attention your classic chargers have bought would be interesting to read.

challenger70

I go for drives at night a lot and have a good stereo. :icon_smile_big:  I don't like the attention, it's my time to decompress, not educate the world on my car. 
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

HANDM

Put on a baseball cap, pull it down real low and act like you're blind and deaf. If you don't your short drives will turn into looong talks.

c00nhunterjoe

Dont make it a general lee then. Lol. I come out of stores to random people sitting in it and sliding across the hood....

NCMopar

Every time, everywhere, regardless of the situation, constantly people are walking up to me or talking to/at me while sitting at a red light. I do not like the attention, but I love my Charger. I have sold other cars, because the brought a lot of attention, but I'll never sell this one. People often ask, because they know I don't like to bring attention to myself, why I drive the cars I do. I tell them that I love cars (regardless of make or time period) and the hassle is worth it for those early mornings, when it's just me and girls (wife and daughter) out on a two lane, looking for a greasy spoon joint to stop for breakfast.

Most predictable encounter goes something like "Hey man, what year is it? Oh, a '68, thought so...I had one just like it, a blue (my car is grey) '71 Chevelle. Man, I miss that car, should never have sold it. Is yours for sale?"

Or some such...

Regards,
John

Kern Dog

THis is going to sound strange to some but make total sense to others:
The point where I REALLY began to enjoy driving my car was when I quit worrying about damaging it. I used to be paranoid to park it out of my view. I would not leave it outside overnight, I would not park anywhere near other people either.
Nowadays, I am not afraid of a few rock chips in the paint. I don't drive it down cobblestone or gravel roads but I am done with being worried or scared to drive it hard!

JR

The attention is part of the driving experience, for better or worse. I imagine it's 100 times worse if you drive one outside the U.S.

I don't mind the attention, but I try to avoid it when possible. Chargers just seem to resonate with people for various reasons, and I keep that in mind.

You have to carry yourself as a celebrity when you drive one, because almost everyone is watching your every move. You can't road rage in one because youre driving a neon sign that people won't forget if you piss them off. And id prefer not to have my car keyed one day later on.

It's just part of the experience. You can't separate the car from the attention. If you show up with the best looking girl in the bar, you're gonna have to get use to guys hitting on her right in front of you.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Mike DC

The thing about always being watched is definitely true, especially when you are near your home & regular haunts.  If you act like a dick to somebody on the road, they might come across the car in a parking lot 3 years later and kick the fender.  Or they might turn out to be your boss's son-in-law.  Etc.  Don't ever think you are anonymous while you are using that car in public. 

doctor4766

Same here Jefferson.
The Charger stands out even in a field of other Mopars when we have a club cruise or show.
I'm personally not one for drawing attention to myself either, but that "phobia" soon stops when all you're getting is good attention.
We have plenty of Aussie Chargers here but not so many Dodges and whilst I do love the locally built versions I doubt I'd take one over my 69
Gotta love a '69

XH29N0G

I get all sorts of questions and some extend to conversations when I'm in the Charger. People don't run over to touch the car, but they like to ask about it, reminisce about the old times, and cars they had (or have). Some comments make me smile, like the time one woman unrolled her window and yelled across three lanes "Hey beautiful!" then after a pause, followed it with "I'm talking about the car!"  Another asked about the paint. Others about its history.  But most conversations let me know the car beside me has friendly interested people.  The light turns green and we are on our way. I'm in a white minority county with considerable ethnic diversity; I'm not free of bias; and driving this car has helped me see through some of it and give me a window into humanity we all have.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Chad L. Magee

Get used to the "Is it for sale?" question, as you will be hearing it over and over and over again....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Kern Dog

I don't think that anyone has ever asked me that since the car was painted. Not once.

JR

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 01, 2018, 01:21:24 AM
I don't think that anyone has ever asked me that since the car was painted. Not once.

Same here. Tons of interest when the paint is tired and needing redone.

Not one single attempt when the paint is new and shiny.

Not that I'm trying to sell, just something I've noticed.

NCMopar

If I could install a cloaking device on mine, I would. I do everything possible to get gas at odd hours, etc... The sheer amount of mental illness that exists today, with people walking up and boldfaced lying about things and/or asking moronic questions and comments is really insane. How can a grown man walk up and say some of this stuff?

Was out in the car this weekend with my wife and daughter. A couple of clowns come rolling up beside me, screaming "f*** yeah!" over and over again. Man, I have my family with me, absolutely no need for that. My issues with this probably have more to do with the way society is heading, than it does with the car...

Regards,
John

Mike DC

shiny paint = you've spent money on it = you won't sell it to them for some absurdly cheap price

Midnight_Rider

The car's the star. We're just part of the entourage.

At least that's the way I felt when the 69 Mach 1 was out & about. And the way I anticpate it being when the Road Runner's done.

hemi-hampton

I used to hate when people would low ball offers just because my original paint had some door dings & scratches & they thought it needed a paint job. :eek2: :brickwall:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: JR on September 28, 2018, 06:27:18 PM
The attention is part of the driving experience, for better or worse. I imagine it's 100 times worse if you drive one outside the U.S.

I don't mind the attention, but I try to avoid it when possible. Chargers just seem to resonate with people for various reasons, and I keep that in mind.

You have to carry yourself as a celebrity when you drive one, because almost everyone is watching your every move. You can't road rage in one because youre driving a neon sign that people won't forget if you piss them off. And id prefer not to have my car keyed one day later on.

It's just part of the experience. You can't separate the car from the attention. If you show up with the best looking girl in the bar, you're gonna have to get use to guys hitting on her right in front of you.

This.   I keep it in mind every time somebody goes full retard around me when I'm in the car.  My town is only about 80K people strong and in the middle of nowhere, so yeah, and it would be remembered.

BDF

I went on a 10 day road trip not long ago & heard/saw all of the above. The thing that stands out in my mind was only 1 big-rig tooted the whole @ 1700 miles. Usually get a few blasts from the air horns on the highway. Once I was backing out of a spot after taking a picture so as not to attract a bunch of attention by driving in front of people  around a table & suffered a flat around the corner. It took about 10-15 minutes to unpack the trunk & change tire but was there about an hour talking with the admiring well wishers  :shruggy:
I made up my mind to just relax & enjoy the encounters, unless it's a bunch of gang bangers at a rest stop  :o. Fortunately they just wanted to talk about the car & not steal it that day :scratchchin:
I just wave & smile a lot.
The car is like a celebrity, always attracting  attention and I have mostly gotten used to it now.
& I drive politely, there is NO anonymity in the Charger.

bull

Try to remember it's all about the car, not you. You're the Charger's spokesman and PR manager. Not to be harsh but honestly, they don't care about you one bit. If the car could talk you'd be completely ignored. I've had people I haven't seen in a year or two come up to me and, once they make sure I have a pulse and don't have a terminal illness, ask me about the car like it's in college now or dating someone. They rarely want to hear about my goals, my kids, my wife, etc. "How's the Charger?"

If you don't want to get hassled fill your tank during off hours and try to plan your driving routes where you can just keep moving as much as possible. Fewer traffic lights, smaller population areas, weekdays, etc. I don't try to avoid people but more often than not I find myself traveling at times and in places where there just aren't that many gawkers. And remember also that the people freaking out only get to see the car for seconds at a time and realize you'd probably do the same thing if you were standing on the sidewalk. You get to enjoy it 24/7 but those poor folks don't. It's probably worse in Australia though (assuming that's where you're from) because here in the states there's always something cruising around in fair weather be it a classic Mustang, Camaro, or any number of cars from the 1940s and 1950s.

Kern Dog

People that complain about being noticed....What the hell, man?
Women wear a low cut top and get pissed when a man approaches them? Well cover it up! If something catches a persons attention, they are going to look.
Yeah, some people have no class or tact when they get excited. They may cuss, touch the car, tell you bullshit stories that never happened but guess what? THAT is life.
I'll bet nobody here is a woman, a really good looking woman. If you were, you may understand that beauty has a way of making admirers lose their minds. As a man that appreciates beautiful women, I have often become tong tied when talking to them. When you are temporarily overcome with any type of emotion, your common sense takes a few steps back. You say silly things. You do stupid things. It happens when a man sees a beautiful woman, a celebrity or a car that looks as if it were designed by God himself.
If a person wishes for anonymity, they can always drive a late model silver Toyota. Those shitboxes get ignored by everyone.

jefferson

Awsome replies guys thanks a lot.

Well today i drove her again, this time only to the gas station as i was pressed for time before work, got about 20 minutes in, to fill her up then lock her back up.

Once again, halfway thru filling her up, Tradie in a ute pulls up next to me, looks a few times, then walks over and starts talking to me about her, asking is it normal for the seats to be the same colour as the car, how long ive had it for blah blah blah then told me about an upcoming car show about an hour from where i live and how i should take my charger there etc etc, not sure why he would even care if i bought it there or why even tell me, i could Fn care less, dont really think im going to take it to car shows, already not liking people being near it, starting to get agitating. , honestly just wanted him to F off but just spoke politely and then he went up to the window and looked in, didnt touch it thank god, just looked inside thru the glass, annoyed me a fair bit but just remained calm and smiled.

I think im going to start wearing earphones whenever i drive or go fill her up. Maybe that will deter people from speaking to me, Does when im shopping, and when im in the gym. Will it work when im with the charger?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

yes im from australia lol.

Australia has a very deep car culture. I drive a 70's Fairlane daily and no matter where you go you always get attention, the Charger is just the same, on steroids.

In my Fairlane which isn't exactly rare or highly sought after people are always signaling to bag up the tires. Just trying to fill up you get, Nice car, My parents used to have one of these, I learned to drive in one of these, you don't see these every day yada yada yada

Even had someone yell from another car asking where I got my Eager tires from (an Australian advertising thing - "Real men smoke Eagers")

jefferson

Quote from: 440 on October 02, 2018, 06:03:13 AM
Australia has a very deep car culture. I drive a 70's Fairlane daily and no matter where you go you always get attention, the Charger is just the same, on steroids.

In my Fairlane which isn't exactly rare or highly sought after people are always signaling to bag up the tires. Just trying to fill up you get, Nice car, My parents used to have one of these, I learned to drive in one of these, you don't see these every day yada yada yada

Even had someone yell from another car asking where I got my Eager tires from (an Australian advertising thing - "Real men smoke Eagers")

Yea, ive come to realise The car culture in AUs now

Especially Imports, hell even when i see an old import driving around, NO MATTER what, if its old,and a classic, i always admire. Now owning a charger i see how the owners now feel with the constant attention

I think its just because, its the PAST in the FUTURE and its just so out of place. I guess the next one ill get, Possibly tomorrow???? is the is it for sale or are you willing to sell it? im just waiting for that one hahahaha.

Im going to get the biggest satisfaction when i say, nope no chance mate sorry. And see there reaction. haha.

JR

I'm envious of Aussie car culture in general.

You guys seem to be a few years ahead of us in terms of modifiying technology. You can import cars from anywhere in the world if you have the cash. You guys actually seem to drive the nuts off your car's instead of sitting in front of them in lawn chairs like people do here. There are plenty of straight 6's there, (Barra's are really impressive.) and people seem upbeat and positive about other people's rides.

The strict rules about visual modifications seem to be a downside, but that doesn't seem to stop you guys.

I really want to visit someday.

Here's a recent 1320 video of some wicked Australian car builds if anyone is curious.

https://youtu.be/kRQf7Bcu5P8

hemi68charger

#1:
ENJOY the car making sure it puts a smile on your face

#2:
It is an OLD car, there will come a time when something happens mechanically and either leaves you stranded or won't start at home ( nature of the beast )

#3:
Avoid putting you and the car into situations that might cause a flare up..... I personally like to drive my Daytona on the interstate heading AWAY from town instead of heading into more populated areas. If you go out and about into more populated areas, give yourself time to get there, i.e always leave early

#4:
take your med's when you're supposed to

#5:
Refer to #1

Driving a bright-ass Hemi-Orange Daytona draws the attention........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

timmycharger

Great stuff guys!  What I love now is seeing my kids experience the attention the car gets when they are in it.  I am used to it now having owned it since 1997 but for them, they just can't believe all the random people that ask me about it or honk or gives thumbs up, its great to see.  My daughter was about 14 when I got the Charger driving again and one afternoon I had it pulled out of the garage and in the driveway when she was getting off of the school bus.  There were about 5 boys with their heads out the windows of the bus just sort of staring. The next day, she had all kinds of questions about what year it was, what engine LOL.. 

The only time I was sort of pissed when someone was honking and waving was on 9/11.  I brought it to work that day and on my way home in the evening I was on the highway and had a guy pull up next to me honking, smiling, yelling giving thumbs up etc, I sort of looked over at him and was like.. Dude, have you watched the news today or turned on a radio? I was in no mood to engage and just lost him in traffic. 

RECHRGD

I think the oddest encounter I have had with the car was at a show several years ago.  An old gal (my age) kept stopping by the Charger and checking out the interior.  She was particularly interested in the back seat area.  I asked her if I could answer any questions she had about the car.  She just giggled and informed me that she had lost her virginity in a car just like it.....
13.53 @ 105.32

chargermick

These cars just seem to naturally draw attention. I don't mind talking with people and answering their questions, sometimes it turns out really enjoyable. 3 weeks ago the wife and I are at a car show, a 13 year old kid comes up with his mom and starts telling us that the Charger is his favorite car "in the whole world." So, I threw him the keys and let him let him fire it up. He was grinning from ear to ear and when he got out, his feet weren't touching the ground. It really made my night too. 

smithenhiven

Quote from: RECHRGD on October 02, 2018, 04:51:31 PM
I think the oddest encounter I have had with the car was at a show several years ago.  An old gal (my age) kept stopping by the Charger and checking out the interior.  She was particularly interested in the back seat area.  I asked her if I could answer any questions she had about the car.  She just giggled and informed me that she had lost her virginity in a car just like it.....

Haha, I had something kind of similar happen.  I was out and about in the Charger one day, stopped for gas and a lady in her late 50s maybe early 60s comes up to me, and says "What a gorgeous Charger you have, mind if I take a closer look?", I said of course go right ahead.....she looks right at the back seat and says "yep, just like I remember" as she winks and walks away.

jefferson

hahaha havent had any female attention so far thankfully as im in a commited relationship for a longggg time now and would never risk screwing that up but got another good half hour whirl in today, and man, once again, pulled up outside a group of tradies, all were admiring in AWE, another group of young fellas were staring out there window in the next lane, and then i noticed as i was turning the corner, some middle aged bloke almost snapped his neck off watching from his car as i turned the corner, i was watching him as i drove and just pissed myself laughing hahahaha.

Dano 1

Quote from: JR on October 01, 2018, 07:39:14 AM
Quote from: Kern Dog on October 01, 2018, 01:21:24 AM

Same here. Tons of interest when the paint is tired and needing redone.

Not one single attempt when the paint is new and shiny.

Not that I'm trying to sell, just something I've noticed.

This is the only thing I'm not looking forward to about getting my car on the road as the body at least will stay in an unfinished state for a while, I'm sure the Wayne Carini wanna-be's will come out of the woodwork. I generally don't mind having conversations with people about my cars when I'm out driving, my old truck gets a good amount of attention and the vast majority of people I talk to are great. As long as the other person is being respectful and pleasant I'm good, otherwise my patience will fade.

1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

alfaitalia

Can you guys in the States not import cars from anywhere in the World then??
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Dano 1

We can import cars but they have to be at least 25 years old, or they have to be brought up to current crash test/safety standards which is virtually impossible. Even for cars that do meet the age requirements, the process is not straight forward and is pretty expensive. I looked into it fairly seriously to bring in an original Mini but never followed through.
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

alfaitalia

I see....over here they only have to have be able to pass the crash and emission standards of the day it was built.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

JR

In the U.S., Mercedes lobbied the government back in the 80s that grey market imports were harming their business interests, and got that stupid 25 year rule passed.

Canada has a 15 year rule.

Kern Dog

Quote from: alfaitalia on October 03, 2018, 07:46:09 AM
Why would we? We already have the best cars.   :hah:

ws23rt

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 03, 2018, 05:30:54 PM
Quote from: alfaitalia on October 03, 2018, 07:46:09 AM
Why would we? We already have the best cars.   :hah:

Hey Kern--The best cars in the world are only a shipment cost away.
The cost of restorations are in your/our backyards. Do it at home or have it shipped from wherever.
This is a global hobby.
Maybe the "best" cars are not next door to you but they are indeed -not far- if you want them.

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 03, 2018, 05:30:54 PM
Why would we? We already have Chargers.   :hah:

Fixed it for ya!   :icon_smile_big:

BrugeeRT

So to all of the owners with people walking up and making offers on their car, anybody have any offers that they seriously considered and that wasn't a low ball?
Mark

Challenger340

Quote from: BrugeeRT on October 17, 2018, 06:18:09 AM
So to all of the owners with people walking up and making offers on their car, anybody have any offers that they seriously considered and that wasn't a low ball?

Depends what you deem a low ball ?  
But relative to what I had just paid for it a few weeks before, 2 1/2 times the money was pretty tempting ?

On another note:
After you receive a serious offer 2 1/2 time your investment ? NEVER tell your wife about it ! which I will leave at that.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

comet_666

I have never had anyone do anything necessarily nutty after the car has been restored other than 2 people follow me home and ask about it and try to buy it or trying to take video of it on the road. Generally it's thumbs up and nice car and maybe a few questions, year and engine from older men (older than me) which I don't mind at all.
I think most of the looks are because its really loud lol

BrugeeRT

On another note:
After you receive a serious offer 2 1/2 time your investment ? NEVER tell your wife about it ! which I will leave at that.
[/quote]

Thats some good wisdom
Mark

c00nhunterjoe

My wife would kill me if i sold any of our cars..... i got a real winner.

Here she is relaxing on the weekend...

timmycharger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 17, 2018, 03:40:29 PM

Awesome!! what car is she driving? looks like a beast!  :drive: :drive:

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: timmycharger on October 18, 2018, 01:29:03 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 17, 2018, 03:40:29 PM

Awesome!! what car is she driving? looks like a beast!  :drive: :drive:

79 plymouth arrow super gas car. 9.90 et on a throttle stop. 155 mph car.

timmycharger

Badass! thanks for sharing!  :drool5: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Bronzedodge

If you don't have one of the more popular colors, I believe you'll get a little less attention.  I get plenty of looks and thumbs up still, but I'm sure I'd get more if my car was red or blue.
Mopar forever!

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Bronzedodge on October 21, 2018, 08:08:58 AM
If you don't have one of the more popular colors, I believe you'll get a little less attention.  I get plenty of looks and thumbs up still, but I'm sure I'd get more if my car was red or blue.

Paint it orange and throw an "01" on the doors..... you want to talk about attention..... its insane..... ive had people run other cars off the road just to get along side of me to snap a picture....

Polygon

I offered a ride in my Charger to a lady after church. She never had anything to do with cars. I think the most fun I had in a long time was watching her reaction. She would say"" John they're looking at us"", or"" John people are waving at us""". We went down Siesta Key near Sarasota. I must have gotten 30 thumbs up, or hey can I take a picture, and people just admiring the car

And the lady was amazed at the attention, she had a good time too.

( and other times people don't say much at all, but that one day was quite special)
www.lostinspaceforum.com

If you like the old TV show, Lost In Space, check out my page

Kern Dog

That is great. Let them see what it feels like from the inside.

Bronzedodge

Quote from: Polygon on October 30, 2018, 11:34:14 PM
I offered a ride in my Charger to a lady after church. She never had anything to do with cars. I think the most fun I had in a long time was watching her reaction. She would say"" John they're looking at us"", or"" John people are waving at us""". We went down Siesta Key near Sarasota. I must have gotten 30 thumbs up, or hey can I take a picture, and people just admiring the car

And the lady was amazed at the attention, she had a good time too.

( and other times people don't say much at all, but that one day was quite special)

Not to derail the topic, but was this a first date?   :angel:
Mopar forever!

Challenger340

Wanna have fun ?
Live close to a Tourist town of 5,000 that gets lots of Europeans on Holidays, go buy a lawnmower, put it in the trunk of your Charger with the handle sticking out(trunk lid bungied down), then go run a few errands around town stopping here and there.... you know, and maybe for extra effect, add a few shovels and rakes sticking out of the '69 Charger R/T Bungied trunk lid, don't wash the Charger for a week or two, bit of mud, etc., etc. ?

Some German tourist comes running up last summer....
staring wide-eyed, ogling... and with a heavy accent he says....
"You peepels driivz deez karz ?"
I says: "Yeah, but only for dump runs, picking up junk, etc., because they are just too hard on fuel".
Now completely BUG EYED he says.... "NOOOO.... Reelzee ?"

By the time I was done with that poor guy he believed all us Hillbillies have old classics in the garage at home, but because of fuel prices we just don't drive them much anymore.

Next year I think I'll strap a road kill deer to the roof ? maybe have my rifle hanging out the window ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

XH29N0G

Canadian sense of humor....

Or maybe it protects us. 

Kern Dog

That was funny though....Roadkill strapped to the car, blood dripping down the fenders!

XH29N0G

That was a compliment.  I find Canadian humor very funny.  and in a haha sort of way. :2thumbs:

Or maybe it protects us.