News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Charger Bumper/Grile Installation ?

Started by TimR70RT, September 30, 2018, 03:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimR70RT

Hi,

I attempted to put the bumper/grille on my 1970 charger and the top of the loop bumper is about an inch high as compared to the top of the fenders??  What is the process for getting everything lined up correctly? Was it common for the bumper brackets on the frame of the car to get misaligned?  It seems like the driver's side far outside one is high compared to where it should line up on the car.. I tried to loosen the 2 horizontal bolts that hold that bracket to the frame but they won't budge. Currently have them sprayed with Penetrating Oil.. are those four bolts, two on each side of the car, holding the brackets on that would allow the bumper to be lowered and properly aligned with the rest of the car, bumpers and hood?  or is there another proper way to do it? Really frustrating since i thought this would be a simple hold the bumper in place, put the bolts in and tighten them process? Is there good information on doing this somewhere?  Why is there not more information on how to assemble this extremely popular car?

dual fours

1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

70 sublime

Do you have the rubber gasket between the front of fender and the chrome bumper installed ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

TimR70RT

Do you mean the rubber gasket the runs along the top of the bumper?  Yes.

dual fours

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 30, 2018, 10:04:44 PM
Do you have the rubber gasket between the front of fender and the chrome bumper installed ?
Quote from: TimR70RT on September 30, 2018, 11:50:52 PM
Do you mean the rubber gasket the runs along the top of the bumper?  Yes.
TimR70RT, possibly not but, just in case there is some confusion here.
The rubber gasket between the front of fender and chrome bumper is the red arrow.
The rubber gasket along the top of bumper is the green arrow.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

TimR70RT

OK, I am confused i am not sure what that strip of weatherstripping/rubber has to do with fit of the bumper?  i should have taken pictures the top of the bumper is at least an inch above the hood and fenders..

70gtx440dana

Back to the top for this older thread!!

I am getting ready to install the bumper grille assembly in my 70 Charger. My plan is to completely assemble bumper and grille and then install as a single unit.
A couple questions to the guys that have done this in the past?

1) Can I complete the install with the lower valance already in place?
2) Any tips for installation?
     a) I assume a 2 person job.
     b) Any tips for supporting during alignment? Jack stands or other
     c) Would love to see some photos of an install.

Thanks in advance for any advice!  Joe

70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54

kent

You can put it in place with the valance but have to be very careful. Masking tape is your friend. 3 would be easier if you think about.
Not there yet. Wish I was.
Kent

b5blue

It's a cakewalk, assemble the entire grill into the bumper and inner bumper frame (Without the door rod/motor.) and have both frame to bumper assembly supports attached with that hardware just snug. The valance clears so no worry off or on. (If you have the/a lower cross brace it must be off and you will lay it in the valance area for mounting later.)
  Pick the assembly up by the center and slide it back into the front frame C shaped areas. I had no help, just kinda balanced the whole mess and slid it in. Be ready to push press pull to tweak fitment but have all mounting bracket bolts snug but loose.

70gtx440dana

Quote from: b5blue on July 02, 2019, 11:01:44 AM
  It's a cakewalk, assemble the entire grill into the bumper and inner bumper frame (Without the door rod/motor.) and have both frame to bumper assembly supports attached with that hardware just snug. The valance clears so no worry off or on. (If you have the/a lower cross brace it must be off and you will lay it in the valance area for mounting later.)
  Pick the assembly up by the center and slide it back into the front frame C shaped areas. I had no help, just kinda balanced the whole mess and slid it in. Be ready to push press pull to tweak fitment but have all mounting bracket bolts snug but loose.

Thanks for your reply. I would like more details on this one man process. How doe's one person slide it into place, line it up on both sides, hold it in that position and then start the (2) bolts on both sides? Also, please help me to understand your comment on the "C shaped areas". The bumper brackets are C shaped. However, the frame rails are straight flat vertical surfaces. There is nothing to help hold it in position once slid into place. Looking forward to more details!
70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54

b5blue

Well work it out in your head knowing it fits. Cut some 2X4 to prop it up if worried? I've got no help so I just tried it. 45 years construction work I'm fairly strong, others may not be and want helpers. The fender rubber and bumper things that fit inside held long enough to attach the 2 side straps @ the fenders and pop bolts into frames for bumper.

krops cars

hemi-hampton

I did mine as one complete unit with bumper brackets on, push bumper brackets onto front frame rails & install bumper brackets bolts to frame. LEON.