News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flipping entertainment!

Started by spoolinhard, October 02, 2018, 08:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoolinhard

I recently purchased 2 68 chargers. I gave a little bit more than scrap for each, by todays prices, there was a heck of a lot of car there for what I paid for each. I had no intention of selling either, however, I worked out a deal with the people that I bought these cars from, for a 69 that was relatively complete (and the price reflected it). So I kicked loose one of the 68's. The 68 I listed had NO title or vin. It was a body only. I was honest about that. I listed it on ebay and craigslist at the same time. Within 2 hours of listing it on craigslist, I get an email from a guy that says he will take the car. He was over 7 hours away; I told him I would sell him the car. He asked if could send me a down payment, I said no, cash in person. So we agreed on a time he would get it the following week.

I get a text from the guy later begging me not to sell the car, he's telling me how he has all the parts to fix it and its exactly what he's looking for. I tell him he has my word that if he comes on the date that we agreed to come for the car, that it would be waiting for him. Remember this line, it becomes relevant at by the end. He said "its rare to find some one who stands by their word these days." We text back and forth, he asks if I have any more charger stuff. I tell him nothing that is for sale. The guy is from SD, so I ask him if he went to the Rietz mopar auction. He made the comment that he did not and that he is poor. First red flag.

He sends me a text a couple days later asking me if I know anyone who wants a superbee. He sends me a text with two 68-9 super bees on the back of a trailer. Red flag 2.

He sends "his guy" to get the charger. He wire transfers me the money since he is not coming in person. After I receive the funds, I text him and ask him what his plans are for the car. He says that he has all the parts to fix it and he is not sure yet. Red flag 3. He says that he had a couple chargers back in the day and sold them like an idiot. After I inform him that I have the funds. The small talk ceases; I don't hear from him anymore. I was at work; my dad met with the driver to load. The driver sees some of my other second gens and has loose lips. He said that he has picked up around 30 chargers for the guy and that the one he is purchasing from me is going to Australia; the guy is big on sending them overseas. He also said that the guy will be getting ahold of me about my other chargers. (He will not, I told him that no others are for sale.)

Honestly I could care less that he was flipping it. Hell, thats what I did. I made a good chunk of money and I highly doubt he will make more than what I did. No need to tell stories/ mislead to get the car. He could have told me that he was going to flip it up front and as long as I got what I wanted; would have sold it to him regardless.

spoolinhard

Im actually a little nervous that someone out there knows what I have. I don't have indoor storage for everything. Some of them are easy to get to.

RiverRaider

Quote from: spoolinhard on October 02, 2018, 08:36:35 PM
Im actually a little nervous that someone out there knows what I have. I don't have indoor storage for everything. Some of them are easy to get to.
I feel the same here about strangers knowing about some cars and other stuff I have.   In today's cell phone age a picture posted on the net will go around the world instantly with photo data on its location for all the world to see.
And with many cars going overseas it is a risk we all face.   
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

VegasCharger

Buyer's of these 2nd gen Chargers are at a disadvantage vs the seller's of these Chargers.

They have to be ready to strike when they come on the market, ie: cash in hand & a trailer.

Why would a buyer reveal that they would be flipping the Charger knowing that most 2nd gen Charger sellers are sensitive to who buys them.

That triggers the seller to lose interest in selling the car to him.

I'm not taking sides here, just explaining on what the norm is on 68-69-70 Charger deals.

Now if I were selling my '68 (everything has a price) I couldn't care less on what the buyer does with it as long as I get my asking price.

Make a General Lee out of it, ship it over seas, wreck it, roll if off a cliff, make a 4x4 out of it, flip it for $10,000 more than what I got for it ETC.
DON'T CARE!!!

What I do know is that (IF) I do sell my '68, I'll probably never own one again in my life.

:cheers:

alfaitalia

:iagree: .....with all of that. Flippers (traders here)annoy folks because they had the savvy to be able to sell it for more than the seller did. As the end of the day no one is forced to buy from the flipper at the higher price....and if they don't then flippers would not profit and would lose interest. It had a higher value that the seller sold it for and the flipper spotted it and made the move. Flipping the odd (non classic) car helps me fund my Charger build. Mark 2 Golf GTIs and GTI 16Vs are my favourite at the moment...I guess they nearly are a classic now. Buy dirty and unloved from the philistines and sell polished and serviced to the enthusiasts!!! 
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

spoolinhard

I don't have a problem with someone flipping a car off me. I understand that completely. Honestly, not a single other person stepped up or showed interest in paying my price. This guy did and did not haggle or even ask questions. I would sell more vehicles to the guy if it went as smoothly as it did this time. The guy didn't have to act like a broke dreamer to get the car.

Chad L. Magee

I do not hate car flippers, I just wish that they all would be respectful when they are told a car is not for sale.  Sometimes as an owner you get pestered over and over to sell cars to them, as they smell money to be made at someone else's expense.   They just will not take no for an answer.  They have tried their best sob stories (mostly lies) to try to force me to sell before. 

"Darn, your son/daughter really wants a 1969 Dodge Charger but cannot afford one to work on with you.  Guess they will have to save up for one like everyone else does now." or "Spend a year searching the rural backroads like I did and you might find a rough one like mine for sale at a price that you mentioned.  Good luck."  ;)

It simply does not work with me, as I just do not care about their reasons why they want my cars.  I have had flippers trespassing on my/others property when it was posted not to by legal notice (multiple signs).  A friend's double barrel shotgun clicking shut from behind them got their attention though.  That was the one thing that made them lose interest fast...
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

spoolinhard

The guy got back in contact with me today. Told me that the car was not what he was looking for and that he was going to get rid of it. He made very specific hints at what else he was looking for and those hints sounded awfully lot like the other chargers that I own. ::)

hemi-hampton

So what was he relevant part at the end? did I miss something, I was expecting some big dramatic twist to the story? :shruggy:

spoolinhard

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 12, 2018, 07:56:38 PM
So what was he relevant part at the end? did I miss something, I was expecting some big dramatic twist to the story? :shruggy:

The guy is continuing with stories to try and get more cars from me. Thought that was apparent. I will do better next time :-\

Instead of coming out and asking me about the other cars I own (that I already told him were not for sale) that his driver saw, he is beating around the bush, waiting for me to say "yeah Ive got something just like that!" When I told him that I didnt have what he was looking for, he came right out and told me that he knew that it wasnt true because of what his driver relayed to him.

He told me that he was "poor" in a previous conversation (I would imagine to pull at my heart strings and hold the car for him because he was out of state) and now he says that he needs a nicer charger that is as close to driver complete as possible.

hemi-hampton

OK, I reread it & I thought when you said Remember this Line you meant the sentence before it but appears you meant the sentence after it. Makes sense now.  Maybe confront him to stop the BS Stories you know he's just a Flipper. LEON.

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: spoolinhard on October 12, 2018, 08:51:53 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 12, 2018, 07:56:38 PM

The guy is continuing with stories to try and get more cars from me. Thought that was apparent. I will do better next time :-\

Instead of coming out and asking me about the other cars I own (that I already told him were not for sale) that his driver saw, he is beating around the bush, waiting for me to say "yeah Ive got something just like that!" When I told him that I didnt have what he was looking for, he came right out and told me that he knew that it wasnt true because of what his driver relayed to him.

He told me that he was "poor" in a previous conversation (I would imagine to pull at my heart strings and hold the car for him because he was out of state) and now he says that he needs a nicer charger that is as close to driver complete as possible.

You should tell him that he also lied to you about a few things, so you can no longer take him for his word on anything that he says/does.  He is trying to figure out a way to get your good Chargers in place of the one that he bought from you so he can turn a larger profit.  If he does not take no for an answer that your other Chargers are not for sale, get prepared just in case he decides to try to do some trespassing on your property (likely at night).  I had it happen to me once with a flipper...
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

spoolinhard

Yeah, I am done with this guy. If he was paying attention, I let him know that I knew what he was doing. When he said that he was going to get rid of the charger I sold him, I said that I heard that they sell well in Australia. Luckily he is close to 8 hours away, so I hope he doesn't come around unannounced.