DodgeCharger.com Forum
November 21, 2019, 08:04:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I have updated the list of DodgeCharger.com shirts!

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead car, no spark. Suggestions?  (Read 662 times)
tcs69rt

« on: October 03, 2018, 07:55:11 PM »

So this is weak but I am in the middle of a move. Charger is in one location, tools (multimeter) and Charger service manual are in another for a few weeks. 440 Motor with mopar elec ign cranks over fine but does not start. After I stop cranking it, it will give one last chug and spray a light amount of fuel out of the carter afb carb. I borrowed a tool to check spark at the #1 plug and there is none. I had an ECU (Orange box) go bad a few years ago and it would backfire. It's not backfiring. I looked at the rotor and the metal tab looks intact and appears to be making contact. Should I turn the ign key on and check the coil? What should the output be? On a whim I replaced the voltage regulator, still won't start. Should I be looking at the ballast resistor? Is there an inline tester for the coil? I'll borrow a multimeter this weekend.  2thumbs

"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."
70 sublime
Old Timer

next project 1969 Charger 383 auto

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 09:41:14 PM »

Do not think it is the ballast resistor
When you crank with the key it bypasses the resistor and only goes through it when you let go of the key in normal run mode
But car is not running in the crank mode

current project 69 Charger Daytona clone F6 green
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green
XH29N0G
Old Timer

no matter where you go, there you are

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 10:50:07 PM »

When you write "one last chug" do you mean when you let off the key it seems like it catches and might start?  I would start by checking both the run and the crank the key settings to see if power (voltage) is going to the ignition (coil).  It is possible to have power with the ignition in run, but not when cranking. 
krops cars

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 08:16:57 AM »

Get a test light. See if it lights up on positive side. If yes the go to negative side. Crank over engine. It should blink on and off. If no bad module or box.
John_Kunkel
Old Timer

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »

Disconnect the engine harness connector at the distributor, turn on the ignition switch and touch the male prong on the engine harness to ground. Each time the prong is grounded and pulled away you should get a spark from the coil. If it sparks, the distributor pickup is the problem, if not it's the primary wiring, ECU or coil.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.
tcs69rt

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 03:45:45 PM »

Thanks all  cheers I'll get to my tools this weekend and try all suggestions above  2thumbs I'll post the results next week when I get to the Charger too.

tcs69rt

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 09:11:55 PM »

Bad coil, so back on the road again!  cheers

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: