News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

EFI rotor phasing

Started by flyinlow, October 04, 2018, 10:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I switched to Fitech timing control. MSD distributor , phasable  rotor. Eye balled the rotor per the instructions. Starts up and runs.

So I bought a spare rotor/cap for my tool kit in the trunk since the Mopar cap won't work anymore. Just to check I drilled a half inch hole next to the #2 terminal. Also painted a white stripe on the rotor contactor. Used a timing light to check the phasing. Close ,but made a slight adjustment to get the sweet spot. At idle the line is slightly off center, but centers up nicely above 2000rpm.

Just for the fun of it I put the regular MSD rotor on. It runs , slightly offset, but nice to know it or any GM point distributor rotor could get you home if you broke the phasable rotor and did not have a spare.

I darkened the garage and you could see the multiple sparks jumping the rotor/cap gap thru the hole at lower speeds very close to each other. This disappeared at high rpm. I knew The MSD box was suppose to do this but to actually see it was interesting.

I put a 1/2 plastic plug in the hole in the cap and think it will be fine for a spare.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

twenty mike mike

Thanks for posting this.  :cheers: It's been on my to-do list for months, and this was a good reminder.