News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

original factory process for painting a car

Started by resq302, October 06, 2018, 09:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

ok guys, I'm starting the long process of stripping down my car for a complete restoration.  While I am doing base / clear, what was the proper way the factory painted the car?  I'm trying to emulate a factory type job with modern technology and paint process.  I'm familiar with the dip tank system they had but I'm not too familiar with how they got the body color on.  Was there a pit they were in or was the car raised up some what?  This will be for my 69 GTX convertible. 

thanks for the help.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

maxwellwedge

The cars were painted with the hood, doors and trunk lid on. First there was the dip color and then the paint. It was one painter per side. They didn't go to any trouble squatting to get underneath the car, so whatever body color got underneath was mostly just a misting.
If there were painted on stripes, or any Organosol - they were done before the body color and masked off. Same with the inner door color - upper and lower door frame. Last was the blackout behind the grill and rad cradle etc. The sound deadener in the wheel wells was done after the cars were fully assembled.
If it was a Lynch road car, the fender tag was usually hanging inside the car and got little or no paint on them.

ODZKing

Found this years ago and saved: