News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Y2 DAYTONA

Started by tan top, May 08, 2006, 03:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

sunfire yellow 440 daytona :drool5: :drool5: on ebay now, looks to be missing windshield pillar mouldings  :scope:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

Again?... Man... I "tried" to discuss this car with the gentleman and he would never reply when I asked him hardball questions.....

I believe this is the car prior, hence the missing parts...

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

tan top

looking at the ad again , no headrests , course thay could of been removed :scratchchin:.   may be Troy  not many y2 440 daytonas
   could this be the same one. on ebay a few months ago i think this one was a four speed also.

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

myrt70

It does look like the same car,I think 28 Y2 Daytonas were built.
70 Charger R/T

BigBlockSam

hey Troy
  i had a chance to buy that car in the pic you posted. that car was in real bad shape. i had first dibs on the car after the owner died. i spoke to his son many times on the phone before i passed. the original family wanted to go to some one that would restore it and love it.  like there dad did. not just flip the car for bucks. now it's been  flipped several times. it's a well documented car but it needed everything . i don't believe that it's the same car in the auction. it would be incredible to turn that car into a driver so fast. plus the car in your pic had a metal nose and #'s matching drive train. that was Gilly's car. Rene

**Inactive Link Removed**
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemi68charger

I think this guy had two Daytonas...... A R6 4-speed. I have a friend that bought the red one and could have bought this one....... Here's another Y2 that I once was getting confused with, but this one here is an auto car I believe......

Well, under further review, I believe this and my other post are the same.

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

BigBlockSam

yes those were Giley's cars. when he died he had the   A R6 4-speed being finished at the restoration shop and this car that you posted the pic of. yes those are the same car, but i don't believe that's the same car in the auction. if it is they did a wrecks to riches on it. giley's car needed alot of help. i could of bought either cars and passed. i couldn't afford the  A R6 4-speed, and did not have the shop to restore the other car. i was introduced to the family through the winged warriors with i am a member of. i wish i would have kept all the pics and vin info . that was on my old computer that crashed. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

moparfied

That sure looks like the same car to me. It just looks like they bolted a few pieces on it. Same stripe with no lettering,same paint peeled juat above the filler cap.

BigBlockSam

it could be. but if it is. they brought it back from the dead quick. i had alot of pics. it was gone. if it is, i hope it was done right or some buyer is gonna be real mad after they pay alot of money. here's the only pic i could find in my files

BigBlockSam

i coulda had the car for $25000. yes i'm an idiot. it came at a tuff time in my life and i just couldn't do it. Rene

moparfied

You cannot buy them for that kind of money anymore Rene. Those days are over.Its a cool car,in an uncommon color,but it looks like a major project though. I wonder how much it will go for on E bay?

hemi68charger

Quote from: moparfied on May 09, 2006, 06:47:20 AM
You cannot buy them for that kind of money anymore Rene. Those days are over.Its a cool car,in an uncommon color,but it looks like a major project though. I wonder how much it will go for on E bay?

I posed questions to the seller.. He would return my emails and then as soon as I questioned him, I never heard back...... Soooo, if anyone on here buys it, be very careful when you go to look at it...

Troy
Troy

hemigeno

I remember you talking about this car a while back, Troy.  You did seem to think the guy was being a little evasive.

moparfied

There is another Y2 Daytona on E bay. It dosent look too bad,but it has a fiberglass nose,its non matghing numbers,and its a 4 speed car,thats been switched to an automatic. Its a real XX car.Its up to 82 grand.

hemi68charger

Quote from: moparfied on May 09, 2006, 06:38:34 PM
There is another Y2 Daytona on E bay. It dosent look too bad,but it has a fiberglass nose,its non matghing numbers,and its a 4 speed car,thats been switched to an automatic. Its a real XX car.Its up to 82 grand.

Believe it's the same car.. The dismantled car in my pictures is of the same car on ebay now........

Troy
Troy

BigBlockSam

wow! i would stay far away from that car.

hemigeno

Troy,

I think there's two different Y2 cars being talked about on this thread.

IIRC the one that you posted pictures of was for sale (somewhere out east, maybe WV) a couple of times.  There was someone from the old board that was seriously looking at it, I think the asking price was +/- $85k.  We debated on the board whether or not you could buy the car at that price, restore it (with all of the body work it needs), and still have the ability to get your money out of it if you needed to sell it.  I didn't record the VIN at the time, although I should have.

The one you were looking at within the last few months is the one on eBay (you already know that from the VIN), but that's not the same car as the one you posted pictures of.  I believe the dismantled car in your picture was an automatic on the fender tag too.

Rene might have the VIN of Giley's car that would confirm that it's a different car, since he looked at it.

:cheers:

BigBlockSam

i had it on my last computer and lost all that stuff when it crashed. they had all the original documentation. why i don't think that car on ebay is Giley's car is that Giley's car had the original metal nose. Rene

hemigeno

Quote from: BigBlockSam on May 09, 2006, 07:38:07 PM
i had it on my last computer and lost all that stuff when it crashed. they had all the original documentation. why i don't think that car on ebay is Giley's car is that Giley's car had the original metal nose. Rene

That was my recollection too, that the original nosecone was to go with the car when it sold - even though I don't remember seeing a picture of it on the ads from back then.

BigBlockSam

i didn't see it either but i was told they had it. Rene

mustanghater

the one car is posted at different views several times. Look at the spot on the rear window area. Its in a lot of those pics.
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

hemi68charger

There was another Y2 that surfaced about the same time this one did.... One was an original 440 auto car and the other was an original 440 4-speed car that was converted to auto, the one in the link....... I used to have pictures of the 440 auto car as well.......

Then again, I could be wrong.. :)

Troy
Troy

moparfied

The Daytona that I saw on E bay,looked like it was reciently put together. It looked like new paint on it. The guy stated that it was an originaal 4 speed car,and that the nose was Fiberglass. I think there were pictures of the VIN tag and the fender tag.

hemi68charger

Quote from: moparfied on May 09, 2006, 11:31:21 PM
The Daytona that I saw on E bay,looked like it was reciently put together. It looked like new paint on it. The guy stated that it was an originaal 4 speed car,and that the nose was Fiberglass. I think there were pictures of the VIN tag and the fender tag.

That's the Michigan car that had the front end missing that Mario (I believe) is selling........ This car crept once with someone talking about the rear wing support brackets looking a little "thin".....

Troy

Troy

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 10, 2006, 04:54:04 PM
Quote from: moparfied on May 09, 2006, 11:31:21 PM

That's the Michigan car that had the front end missing that Mario (I believe) is selling........ This car crept once with someone talking about the rear wing support brackets looking a little "thin".....

Troy

Yup - You are correct - Here is the tag from the Michigan Mario car - He wanted 125k then 150k. Too many issues for that much cake. Or is it? Hmmmm

69_500

Can we back up for a second and talk about the R6 4 speed Daytona? Anyone have any more information on that car? Still trying to track down the R6 red, 4 speed daytona my dad used to own. Black interior, white wing.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on May 10, 2006, 07:00:27 PM
Can we back up for a second and talk about the R6 4 speed Daytona? Anyone have any more information on that car? Still trying to track down the R6 red, 4 speed daytona my dad used to own. Black interior, white wing.

Danny, my friend has the one that was with the yellow one. It's actually the closest I've gotten to a swap for a Daytona.... This one has a black stripe though... I'll call him and see if he'll email you...........

Troy
Troy

moparfied

I saw a red Daytona at the Mopar Nats, that was origiinally Y2. It was a nice solid car. I believe that it belongs to John from New York. He has that nice F6 green 440 4 speed Daytona,with the white stripe. He was having problems with the brakes on the red car,when I spoke to him.

johntpr

Yep the Nats was an experience.  My orange daytona is originally Y2 yellow and had sat for many, many years before I bought it last year. It was actually painted orange within a month of being new.  Just before the Nats I got it somewhat roadworthy.  I guess it was opposed to being brought back to life, and at the Nats the master cylinder went bad as I was driving around pedestrians to park in the show.  Pedal right to the floor !  That was scary! After lots of walking around the swap meet area, I found another master, and with the help of other enthusiasts, we got it swapped out.  My orange one is Y2, 440, 4 speed, black stripe, ps ,pdb, AM, Black bucket interior console, 4 speed, AM radio, and full hubcaps.  It has 25,000 miles.

John

nascarxx29

John Tpr got a real nice 440 4 speed Y2 daytona.It came out of Trenton NJ when it was new .If anyone recalls seeing it around.His F6 green car was just a few miles from me in NJ.Seems the wingcars like to migrate in NJ.Its where also I found my 440 daytona .And there are still some wingcars hanging out in garages in NJ Ive seen
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

I seen that Y2 car on the other board.On the $145.000 post

http://www.moparstyle.net/forums/showthread.php?t=67976

myrt70

Nice cars John! I got to see both of them in person! Are you goung to paint the orange one back to its original color?
70 Charger R/T

johntpr

I'd like it to go back to yellow, but in meantime I've done quite a bit to it to get it mechanically sound and cosmetically the best it can be without taking it all apart.  Money is always the issue !  And I'm debating a full restoration or just simply repainting it (which in itself is never that simple!) The car is very original besides the wrong color paint.   I'm hoping to bring them both to Englishtown, NJ next weekend May 20, 21.

69_500

Your green Daytona is gorgeous John. Had the pleasure of checking it out last year at Englishtown and then again at Carlisle. Got to see the Y2 car at the Mopar Nats last year.

moparfied

John,I have seen your green car many times,that car is awsome. The orange car is sweet too,it looked red to me under the tent at the nats last year. The orange is nice,but the yellow is different,you do not see many that color. Glad to hear you got the brakes fixed.

nascarxx29

Another Y2 daytona that used to be for many years the Tom Hayden car from PA .Was a original Y2 car.But was painted petty blue most of its life L9B381533

hemigeno

Quote from: nascarxx29 on May 12, 2006, 08:28:39 AM
Another Y2 daytona that used to be for many years the Tom Hayden car from PA .Was a original Y2 car.But was painted petty blue most of its life L9B381533

The 381533 car is now owned by Dean R. from Texas.  That car's Broadcast Sheet was reunited with Dean last year, in a three-way swap.  My friend Clayton's V2 (383270) car had a Q5 car's build sheet in it (381551), and the Q5 car had Dean's Y2 build sheet in it.  Doug Schellinger ran an ad in the DSAC newsletter and Dean got his car's Broadcast Sheet.  As a result, two guys got their original sheets back!   O0  :boogie:

I didn't realize that Tom H./Dean's Y2 car was painted Petty Blue.  I suppose since Richard was driving a Dodge by '73, it wasn't considered politically-incorrect to have Petty Blue on a Dodge.

nascarxx29

I have alot of early photos and documentation on the Tom Hayden car .It was in the old car trader I have the ad after he passed away.He was a Ardmore PA fire chief .The asking price at the time on his car was $25K.He sent in a full page letter about buying it in Dec 74 and its resto history .In a DSAC newletter.I have as well

hemigeno

**Update**

I finally did some digging in the files around the office here, and I was able to confirm that the rough Y2 project Troy had posted pictures of is 400603.  The other Y2 car (Mario's car) that didn't meet the reserve on eBay recently is 379275.  Two different cars.

Here's a link that is (for the moment) still working that shows the 400603 car back when it sold last year. 

http://www.cars-on-line.com/22714.html

You have to cross-reference the info in the description back to the Daytona Shipping List, and that's how I was able to confirm which one it was.  I had already logged 400603 into my spreadsheet, but this old ad confirms which car is which.

1fine69

Yup, the one on ebay was a little suspicious. if you look closely at the dash doesn't it look like it has an a/c vent on the side? i asked the guy for a couple of more pics but stated his picture guy left town?  ??? if i am not mistaken werent daytonas built on a certain time period? at least the real ones were right? some time in early august of 1968? plus according to mcg magazine in there previous months issue ( with the petty blue with white interior 440 6 pak superbird ) daytonas ( again the "real ones" ) weren't available with the y39 special order code? someone please correct me if i am wrong!  ???
THE DEVIL'S A PIMP DON'T BE HIS HOE!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1fine69 on May 27, 2006, 11:07:23 AM
Yup, the one on ebay was a little suspicious. if you look closely at the dash doesn't it look like it has an a/c vent on the side? i asked the guy for a couple of more pics but stated his picture guy left town? ??? if i am not mistaken werent daytonas built on a certain time period? at least the real ones were right? some time in early august of 1968? plus according to mcg magazine in there previous months issue ( with the petty blue with white interior 440 6 pak superbird ) daytonas ( again the "real ones" ) weren't available with the y39 special order code? someone please correct me if i am wrong! ???

Daytona's were built late starting late April of 69.  All the ones I have in the registry all had the Y39 code.

C500's were built starting in late Aug of 68.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemigeno

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on May 27, 2006, 12:40:36 PM
Quote from: 1fine69 on May 27, 2006, 11:07:23 AM
Yup, the one on ebay was a little suspicious. if you look closely at the dash doesn't it look like it has an a/c vent on the side? i asked the guy for a couple of more pics but stated his picture guy left town? ??? if i am not mistaken werent daytonas built on a certain time period? at least the real ones were right? some time in early august of 1968? plus according to mcg magazine in there previous months issue ( with the petty blue with white interior 440 6 pak superbird ) daytonas ( again the "real ones" ) weren't available with the y39 special order code? someone please correct me if i am wrong! ???

Daytona's were built late starting late April of 69.  All the ones I have in the registry all had the Y39 code.

C500's were built starting in late Aug of 68.....

Yep, with only one exception.  287970 (Dale Reeker's executive car) has a Feb 7 build date.  I have my suspicions that this car wasn't originally built as a Daytona, but was selected to receive the conversion at a later date - no wonder, considering Mr. Reeker's involvement in the development of the Charger Daytona.  He's the one who changed the name from the "SuperCharger" to the "Charger Daytona" name.  The gentleman that owns this car now has been somewhat secretive with the car's information.  I would wonder if the car has Y39 on the fender tag like all the other Daytonas do.  Also, the SO numbers all begin with 926 or 927, again with the glaring exception of the Reeker car - which has an SO of 236200.

The last recorded build date is on 6/26, when a single Daytona was cranked out - 434780.

69_500

I'll have to look again but I think I've got information on a few Daytona's that don't have the Y39 option code. I also know for positve that I do have C500's with the Y39 code in the fender tag. However its not all of the 500's. I'm pretty sure that not all of the Daytona's have the Y39 either. Only codes I can think of that all Daytona's have is XX, A11, M21, M31, and 26. I can't think of any Daytona's without a 26 inch radiator, and never seen a Charger from 69 without the M21 and M31 codes either.

nascarxx29

I had seen the supercharger upclose and got its vin and didnt take down the fender tag info.When Steve owned it.It was a 68 charger to begin with.Steve got it from Raffi Manisan.I believe its MR H's car

myrt70

I have seen pictures of the Super Charger,in its original 68 form,it was painted white,then it was updated to a 69,with a new grille and tail light panel. Near the end of 69,the car was updated again,thats when it got the Daytona nose,the functional louvered hood,and the 70 high back bucket seats. It was repainted to its current color at that time. The car was not called the Super Charger,when it was white,and had the stock 68-69 grilles,it was called the Topless Charger. After it got the Daytona treatment they called it the Super Charger.
70 Charger R/T

nascarxx29

Here is the topless charger picture