News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 wheel drum issues

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, October 07, 2018, 09:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

hey guys. last year my brakes kinda just started fading away to almost nothing. i checked out each wheel and made sure they were properly adjusted and that the drums and shoes were good. i made minor adjustments but they were pretty much right on.  well due to life i havent touched the car much at all this year. we changed out the power booster and master cylinder because why not its 50 years old and it sure couldnt hurt. today we bled the brakes and took it for a ride. well the car simply just dosent have stopping power. it takes forever to get it to stop. i can lock the wheels up it i stab the pedal hard and fast but who whats that? the pedal is rather hard to press and it squeeks now.  i realize its not gonna stop like a
4 rotor car but ive had this car since 2001 and it has never stopped this bad. ive never felt as if i couldnt take my kids for a ride before but i wouldnt dare do it now.

im kinda at a loss here. i really dont wanna replace everything hoping it will get better when i could prolly guy a front disc kit for similar price.  on a side note if i did go the disc  can i use the same power booster and master?  id really like to just get it back to how it was stopoing outta the factory for now and tackle the disc conversion at a later time unless the cost starts to get into disc territory.

any help would be great thanks, Mike

c00nhunterjoe

My drum brakes always stopped great. It was the fade that would set in after a few hard stops that would get you. Something is amuck in your system. Start with the basics- jack the car up and spin each tire and have an assistant brake. Make sure they spin, stop, and release immediatly. Could be as simple as a frozen wheel cylinder. Your new problem of a hard pedal sounds initially like a vacuum leak. Either the line to the booster or a bad booster. If you swap to discs the master cylinder is different and most will reccomend a proportioning valve.

maxwellwedge

Try bleeding the master again

Brightyellow69rtse

thanks guys ill check it out again this weekend hopefully.

c00nhunterjoe

If the pedal is hard, there is no air in the mc. It would be low and spongey.

6.7Cummins

Do all 4 wheels lock up? When my 68 was doing the same thing yours is the back brake hose was bad. Is your pedal travel less too? Take the care for a ride and use the brakes a few times, see what the temp of the drums are.
1968 Charger R/T 440/727