News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

installing the engine with headers attached?

Started by Vegas_Nick, October 09, 2018, 02:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegas_Nick

Since I am going back in with this thing soon, anybod got any feedback on setting the engine in with headers attached or sit them in the engine by then sit the motor in? 74 Charger with a 360. Bare bones.

Thanks!

NHCharger

On my 68 I tried to install with headers. Was a no go. I was installing from the top, not dropping the car down onto the engine and K member.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Canadian1968

IF your going from the top ... put on the starter and drop it in. your gonna have a hard time getting it in with the headers on. 

You can try holding the engine up a few inches with the lift, wiggle the headers in and throw on a few nuts or bolts depending on the fastner style your are using.  Then lower the engine into the mounts and then just bolt everything thing up ? 

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: Canadian1968 on October 11, 2018, 06:55:42 PM
IF your going from the top ... put on the starter and drop it in. your gonna have a hard time getting it in with the headers on. 

You can try holding the engine up a few inches with the lift, wiggle the headers in and throw on a few nuts or bolts depending on the fastner style your are using.  Then lower the engine into the mounts and then just bolt everything thing up ? 

That is what I am thinking as well. I used to have to do my race cars like that. Ties the headers back with safety wire.

303 Mopar

I've only installed the engine, fully assembled on the k-member, by dropping the body down.  I had to tilt the engine a few inches to the passenger side, but the 1 7/8" TTI headers on the 440 fit.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible