News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Knock sensor retro fit

Started by flyinlow, October 09, 2018, 02:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I was wondering how modern engine knock sensors signal a Powertrain control module to retard the timing or close the throttle by wire?

Could you install the sensors on an RB engine and use them with say with a Fitech with power adder and retard the timing? Then bump up your regular timing to the knock limit?

cdr

it can be done, but I dont think the Fitech has that capability.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Midnight_Rider

Getting into Megasquirt territory...

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Midnight_Rider on October 10, 2018, 10:43:13 PM
Getting into Megasquirt territory...

That's what I was thinking...       I haven't kept up on most aftermarket ECMs since I found MS - but I think maybe the FAST guys have a knock sensor capability?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

XH29N0G

I read the description and that is pretty cool.  Does it work to optimize an engine to the point of really making significant gains?
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

flyinlow

interesting, does one knock sensor cover both banks?