News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to insure my superbird?

Started by Luis9995, October 11, 2018, 06:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luis9995

Hey everyone. I recently got a Superbird and I didn't insure it until it arrived it AAA didn't insure it for an agreed value because the "performance capabilities" and how it did not meet with their underwriting guidelines. Just for a KBB value which means i'd Be lowballed if something were to happen to it. They had an agent surching for other companies to insure me even classic collectors insurance by infinity, but none want to for whatever reason? My age maybe? But that's discriminatory. My driving record is clean, no tickets either. Never been pulled over. Don't see any other reasons why.

So I was curious what insurance companies insure your winged cars, and the value it's agreed on, and prices paid yearly if you guys don't mind me asking? Or any good recommendations on who to insure it with. Thank you all.

daytonalo

Whatever you do DO NOT USE AMERICAN COLLECTORS INS based out cherry hill NJ . I have first hand info as in had a girlfriend that worked there and from what I have heard a few Dyslectic chimps could run an insurance co better !

Aero426

Assuming you are over the age of 30 with a clean record, have another car for regular transportation and locked storage for the Superbird, you should be able to get insurance.

Call Lars Anderson at Rally Insurance,  800-801-1823.      They represent multiple collector insurer and will get you a few different quotes to compare.     When I did this, the quotes that came back were from Hagerty,  Classic Collectors and Grundy.     You will be able to compare and make a decision.  

In the past, I used American Modern and am currently with Classic Collectors.   Many people use Hagerty.  

Cost will vary by your age, where you live and the agreed value on the car.       My policy won't be comparable to yours.     But for a Superbird with an agreed value of $120,000 and the only car on the policy, an annual premium of $1000-$1300 wouldn't surprise me.   Yours could be more or could be less.    Just like regular car insurance, the quotes will vary some depending on who the insurer is.   

hergfest

Used Hagerty for years.  They have been good to me. 

Birdflu

Luis9995

I'm 23. Just turned last month. See if two of you were insured by classic collectors for a superbird then I don't understand why I wasn't. Everything looked good and at the final steps was defined after they had agreed to insure it for $128K the reasons they gave were bs reasons. But I feel it was because of my age or something just that they can't descriminate for age. Since AAA couldn't insure it they had an agent who's job is to find other companies to insure it do it for me so they were throwing in my 20% good driver discount in and what not and total was going to be just under $900 a year. I may have to try again without the agent and see what happens. Or try haggerty. I heard haggerty was more pricey. But I do need it insured at an agreed value so I'll try anywhere Recommended at this point.

Y1CHARGER

From what I've seen, most classic car insurance companies  cost around $7 per $1000 of agreed value.  Looks like you are right there for $128,000 and a cost of $900.  How much do you think it should cost?

cudavic

Quote from: Luis9995 on October 12, 2018, 02:47:16 AM
Everything looked good and at the final steps was defined after they had agreed to insure it for $128K the reasons they gave were bs reasons.

What reason did they give you?

There are many factors besides your driving record that insurance companies take into consideration when writing a policy, such as:

Make, Model and value of the vehicle
What type of use and storage (IE: limited use secondary vehicle, stored in a dry secure garage)
Location (Is the area heavy traffic, high crime or a low density, safe area)
Credit worthiness

Remember they are the ones taking the risk, therefore they can be picky.

For the record I have used J.C. Taylor out of Darby Pennsylvania for the past 30+ years.
I pay a very reasonable rate, however I have never had a claim so I do not know how they would react in the event of an accident. 
J.C. Taylor can be reached at 1-800-345-8290.

Best of luck, Vic

70 sublime

I'm 23. Just turned last month. See if two of you were insured by classic collectors for a superbird then I don't understand why I wasn't. Everything looked good and at the final steps was defined after they had agreed to insure it for $128K the reasons they gave were bs reasons. But I feel it was because of my age or something just that they can't descriminate for age. Since AAA couldn't insure it they had an agent who's job is to find other companies to insure it do it for me so they were throwing in my 20% good driver discount in and what not and total was going to be just under $900 a year. I may have to try again without the agent and see what happens. Or try haggerty. I heard haggerty was more pricey. But I do need it insured at an agreed value so I'll try anywhere Recommended at this point.

I do not think there is any place that will insure a classic type car to anyone younger than 25 years old .
I tried to get one for my daughter but no way

A person this young just does not have enough miles under their belt for the insurance company to take the risk

Hey if you are only 23 years old and can afford to buy a $128 000 car why can you not afford to just insure it like an everyday car for a couple years till you are old enough for antique insurance ??  
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Luis9995

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 12, 2018, 08:14:03 AM

I do not think there is any place that will insure a classic type car to anyone younger than 25 years old .
I tried to get one for my daughter but now way

A person this young just does not have enough miles under their belt for the insurance company to take the risk

Hey if you are only 23 years old and can afford to buy a $128 000 car why can you not afford to just insure it like an everyday car for a couple years till you are old enough for antique insurance ??  

Well I don't pay $128. Paid 33k less than that after registration and auction fees and state taxes. And I got a loan from my dad for the difference I was short on. I have it insured as a regular car for now but I don't like that because if something were to happen to it such as an accident or theft or anything then they will give me blue book value so nada guides or something value and will likely lowball me and give me the lowest price it shows. The agent himself told me they probably won't give me anywhere near the true value of it. So that's a big risk and lots of money. I'm a safe driver. Clean record.

held1823

one could argue the fiscal responsibility of a 23 year to be able to purchase the car would mitigate the two years of age.

sure, we had more miles under our belts over those two years, but we were dogging the hell out of these cars, rather than pampering them

i'd play their game against them, and insure it under dad/etc for the two years, before i'd give in to them
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Y1CHARGER

what state do you live in? Do you have another car as a daily driver or is the superbird it?

69_500

I paid $672 for a year when I was insuring the 2 69 Charger 500's. Agrovalue of $140k on the two combined. Now I am paying $720 a year on the Hemi 500. Agreed value of $155k.

Mist collector insurance companies will not cover anyone under 25.

Aero426

Your age is the issue with the collector insurers.   (I wish I was 23 with a Superbird.  :coolgleamA:)  

If you have the car with standard insurance, your policy language probably states the car is covered for "actual cash value".   This is ok in your situation.   Because for your kind of car, it is easy to prove what actual cash value is:  

First, you have your purchase price.  
Second, you have multiple collector car price guides.  
Third, you have auction results as public record.  
Fourth, you can get an appraisal to have in hand for insurance purposes.

If something were to happen with your car, it may take more work on your part.  The insurer will probably have to get an adjuster with some knowledge or will need to be pointed to sources of information.   But this is not a case where you are going to wind up a fraction of the true value.  

When you turn 25, get the car insured on an agreed value policy.   

Aero426

Two true stories:

A friend had a 70 Challenger R/T that burned to the ground while driving to a consignment dealer to sell it.   He had it covered with his other cars by his daily driver insurer.   No agreed value.   The adjuster was not completely familiar with classic cars, but used some outside sources to gather information.  The first offer from the insurer to settle the claim was MORE than his asking price on the car.   He took it.

Another friend had a Road Runner that was completely totaled.  He had Hagerty.   But his guaranteed agreed value was LESS than the fair market value of the car.   Guess what?   That's all he got.  

Again, at your age,  having regular coverage is not the end of the world.   You also have more freedom to use the car.  Don't sweat this.  

Aero426

Quote from: Luis9995 on October 11, 2018, 06:28:27 PM
Just for a KBB value which means i'd Be lowballed if something were to happen to it.

I don't think KBB even covers cars this old.    But NADA does.     Here is a screen shot of the current NADA online value for a garden variety driver grade 440-4 Superbird.   As you can see, the average retail is $94,500 which is right in line with your purchase price.    This is only one guide.    Others may show a higher median value.    The point is, this is something any adjuster can look up in two minutes to get a baseline on what this car is worth.    

Luis9995

I'm just worried they would give me the low retail of $41K. And to answer other questions I do have a regular truck for my daily driver. Might just do what you guys suggested. If haggerty is too expensive then I'll just have it put under my dad's name when the regular insurance policy term ends next year and have him insure and add me to the olive as a drivers. Thanks for the advice everyone

cudavic

Quote from: Luis9995 on October 13, 2018, 10:42:56 AM
I'm just worried they would give me the low retail of $41K. And to answer other questions I do have a regular truck for my daily driver. Might just do what you guys suggested. If haggerty is too expensive then I'll just have it put under my dad's name when the regular insurance policy term ends next year and have him insure and add me to the olive as a drivers. Thanks for the advice everyone

Best of luck Luis, be safe and enjoy your dream come true. Sincerely Vic

held1823

i don't know that he would need to add you as a driver, unless it's state law there.  unless the policy excludes anyone under 25, it would be no different than if he just let you take it out for a cruise, same as any other licensed driver
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

It is good you are thinking about insurance.    But you are worrying about a worst case scenario that is probably not going to happen.    Most insurance events are minor.    Things like a chipped windshield.   Or maybe someone backs into your fender and door.   It happens.     Those are all repair situations.  

As to the value, that low retail is just that.   It's the low end of the pool.    You would tell the adjuster to go find all replacement Superbirds in comparable pre-accident condition to yours for that number.     And there will be none available.    

I did not post it, but the latest Sports Car Market database (a standard of the collector car industry) has the value of a 440-4 at at over 150k.     There is more than one source of information.    If you were offered a ridiculously low settlement,  you don't have to just accept that.    That is where you can prove what the value of the car is by the methods I laid out above.     There are ways to escalate your claim.  

We had a club member with a Superbird that was involved with a tornado at a wing car meet in 2002.    He had Allstate.   The car really needed a complete repaint.   There was some give and take, but he came out ok in the end.    The car was fixed.    

If you use the car sparingly, responsibly and drive defensively,  you will be just fine.     :yesnod:

70 sublime

When i was trying to get antique insurance for my daughters car in my name (74 VW Bug) Hagerty still said anyone else that drives it still had to be 25 under their policy

Before you go to all the trouble of getting you dad to insure it find out if for sure you are allowed to drive it with what ever policy you can get
Would the car have to be in your fathers name for him to insure it as his car ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

farm966

I use Hagerty for my bird clone and whatever else I have at the time(antique car/truck), they have always treated me fairly.