News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carburetor recomendations please.

Started by 2Gunz, October 11, 2018, 06:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Gunz

Im sure this has been asked and answered about 3 million times.  However search is returning less then desirable results.

My car currently has a 750 Holley on it. I had it rebuilt 6 months ago because it was leaking gas.

Its leaking again, and it is now stumbling on acceleration.

Im completely over it and just want it to work.

Im looking for recommendations for a new carburetor.
Preferably something thats as little hassle as possible.
I dont have much free time in life and just want to drive the car and not mess with it.

The Car..........

Holley 750    3310-6    1908     -   I got this prolly 10 years ago.  It ran welll most of life.  I bolted it on new and didnt do much with it.  Its always run rich and never got around to re-jetting it.

440 With 727 Tranny

Vintage edelbrock intake

Headers

Mild cam

Electronic ignition

The rest is pretty much stock

Manual or vacuum secondary?

Any reason to get a manual choke version?

Thanks Guys!

Canadian1968

The carb you had sounds like the right one for the application.  Your looking for hassle free and just to drive the car, I would stick with the Vac. Secondaries.  Look at Holley's current line up and pick another 750 cfm .  Pick your budget,  I think there are 3 or 4 versions that all fall into the 750 cfm  with Vac secondaries. Differences range from choke style,  no choke, adjustable IFR and metering blocks ect.  In your case doens't sound like you want to mess around to much , just throw something on and enjoy the car.

I would honestly just grab another 4160 ( 3310 ) classic Holley and throw it on . Cheapest , it works , and you will be happy for another 10 years

2Gunz

I thinking of possibly getting something different.

I guess just to do it. 

I've been looking at the proform 750. 
But I'm concerned that it won't bolt right up, or that the linkage will be wrong. 

Back N Black

I have the Proform 850 double pumper, awesome carb. You can get the proform 750 vacuum secondary's.

chargerbr549

I have this AVS carb on some of my big blocks and they run pretty well. This carb is based on the original Carter AVS carbs that were on the big block HP motors in the late 60's.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1813/overview/

b5blue

I'm using ProForm 750 Vac. secondary w elect. choke. If you stick with Quick Fuel/Holley/ProForm brands you'll keep fuel lines throttle and kick down linkage. I needed to re jet mine and ProForm is easy to do. Consider air cleaner clearance and adding thermal spacers to help with modern fuels.

Challenger340

Quote from: chargerbr549 on October 11, 2018, 11:12:41 PM
I have this AVS carb on some of my big blocks and they run pretty well. This carb is based on the original Carter AVS carbs that were on the big block HP motors in the late 60's.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1813/overview/

I have an original equipment AVS on mine, 750 ? or 800 ? cfm depending where you read, and it's a really well running flawless operation carburetor. 
If the newer eddy AVS's are anywhere near as good, IMO, they can't be beat.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

69wannabe

I don't think just IMO that the eddy AVS carbs are as good as the original Carter AVS carbs. Had one on my charger several years back and it was an OK carb but the holley 750 Double pumper wound up being my go to carb for my 440. Have bee running Holley style carbs every since 2007 and haven't looked back. The proform and quick fuel carbs are both holley style carbs and are pretty good carbs from my experience. Carb guys are a dying breed lately with lot's of folks going to fuel injection but I still like my old car to have a carburetor on it.

c00nhunterjoe

Holley or carter based. Either style is what you make it. They are nothing more then a controlled fuel leak. The proform and quickfuels are nothing more then a more precisely tunable holley.

69wannabe

You are exactly right Joe, One carb that I have never really liked and have had several of is the go to 600 holley vacuum secondary carb. I don't know if they are just cheaply built or what but I have only had maybe one or two that actually were good carburetors no matter how much I worked with them. I will say I did buy a quick fuel 600 vacuum secondary carb for my old ford since the factory carb was a holley 600 emission style carb that finally just wore out after 30+ years and two rebuilds. I got the black diamond 600 carb and it is a really good working carb since I put it on over a year ago. I will most likely purchase another one of these for my old AMC 360 jeep that desperately need a good carb on it.....

c00nhunterjoe

What model number? Ive had good luck with the vac secondary line and they are reLly better suited to most street cars.

Midnight_Rider

Has anyone used one of these? (Demon carbs Street Demon):

If I was in the market for a 625 or 750 for street use, I'd be tempted to try one.

c00nhunterjoe

Not a fan. Its their twist on a carter.

69wannabe

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 13, 2018, 08:34:18 PM
What model number? Ive had good luck with the vac secondary line and they are reLly better suited to most street cars.

The old 1850's were the ones that seemed to be hit and miss and same for the old 80457's. The quick fuel carb I bought is a 1957 part number and it seems to be a solid carburetor.

69wannabe

Quote from: Midnight_Rider on October 13, 2018, 08:36:08 PM
Has anyone used one of these? (Demon carbs Street Demon):

If I was in the market for a 625 or 750 for street use, I'd be tempted to try one.

My buddy has one on his charger 383 and it's a 625 cfm and it works really good and another buddy of mine has a 625 cfm on his dodge truck with a 318 and it seems to be a good carb on it too. I would rather have one of these than an edelbrock. These carbs are built kind of like the old thermoquads

Brass

I started looking at the Holley Brawler line - seems to be a good value.

Challenger340

Quote from: 69wannabe on October 13, 2018, 12:11:34 AM
I don't think just IMO that the eddy AVS carbs are as good as the original Carter AVS carbs. Had one on my charger several years back and it was an OK carb but the holley 750 Double pumper wound up being my go to carb for my 440. Have bee running Holley style carbs every since 2007 and haven't looked back. The proform and quick fuel carbs are both holley style carbs and are pretty good carbs from my experience. Carb guys are a dying breed lately with lot's of folks going to fuel injection but I still like my old car to have a carburetor on it.

I was thinking the AVS as a very good option for from a driveability standpoint, on a close to stock mild Engine as the OP was originally looking for ? 
I don't know how much Trq Conv he has on the Auto, so IMO, I usually just defer to a "Vacuum" or "Airflow" secondary. The puddle-dumpers can take some learning with Stock'ish Engine, stock Converter etc on an auto.

How does the Choke system work on the new Eddy AVS Carbs ? Any good or a dud ? 
Only wimps wear Bowties !

b5blue

See that's the thing. Each engine is needing the carb. tuned to it's build. So getting close and ease of tune or adjust becomes critical. Then you have adapters for each carb. to allow for $$$ start adding up.
  If what you have was working but just started leaking, just repair or match a replacement and move on.  :Twocents:

flyinlow

I liked the Quickfuel 780 VS. Four corner idle adjustment. Vacuum secondary's that where adjustable with a screwdriver. Window adjustable floats. Never leaked or blew a power valve. Out of the box very close to needing no tuning according to my A/F ratio gauge. Larger accelerator nozzle and idle adjust, and played with the secondary timing. :Twocents:

c00nhunterjoe

I always laugh at the avg joe who spends a bunch of extra money on one of the higher dollar carbs with fancy colors and extra tunability on a 400 to 500 hp street car, and then never touches any of the parts they spent the money on to tune. Then complain because it bogs. For 99% of the cars out there, the basic model double pumper or vacuum secondary holley is more then enough or the carter/eddy. Even on some of the wilder engines you dont need the bells and whistles such as adjustable air bleeds and metering blocks. If you want the extra bling and dont mind spending more, thats another story.

69wannabe

Quote from: Challenger340 on October 15, 2018, 02:44:36 PM
Quote from: 69wannabe on October 13, 2018, 12:11:34 AM

I was thinking the AVS as a very good option for from a driveability standpoint, on a close to stock mild Engine as the OP was originally looking for ? 
I don't know how much Trq Conv he has on the Auto, so IMO, I usually just defer to a "Vacuum" or "Airflow" secondary. The puddle-dumpers can take some learning with Stock'ish Engine, stock Converter etc on an auto.

The electric choke set up on the newer AVS carbs works pretty good if I remember correctly, very similar to the performer carbs
How does the Choke system work on the new Eddy AVS Carbs ? Any good or a dud ? 

69wannabe

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 15, 2018, 06:01:19 PM
I always laugh at the avg joe who spends a bunch of extra money on one of the higher dollar carbs with fancy colors and extra tunability on a 400 to 500 hp street car, and then never touches any of the parts they spent the money on to tune. Then complain because it bogs. For 99% of the cars out there, the basic model double pumper or vacuum secondary holley is more then enough or the carter/eddy. Even on some of the wilder engines you dont need the bells and whistles such as adjustable air bleeds and metering blocks. If you want the extra bling and dont mind spending more, thats another story.

Agreed, I purchased the 1957 Quick fuel carb for my old truck with a stock 460 in it and really I just like the black carbs these days that's supposed to help with fuel temps and it does work good but I have no idea if it being black makes any difference. It seems to be a better version of a holley 600 tho. On my charger I just run a regular classic style holley 850 DP carb that works well. No bells, no whistles, just a regular old holley Double pumper carb

XH29N0G

For the OP.  I don't have anything major to add because I think the information given above is excellent.  I have always used the Holley and Holley derivative products, but my car came with one of those and I am sure the others work very well as described. With a replacement, tuning can make a huge difference in how they behave on the car, but I will say that I found it easier to tune slightly smaller carburetors to be responsive.

For c00nhunter...You may be pleased to hear that I bought that carb with bells and whistles and proceeded to detune it by changing everything possible.  Only later did I learn how to retune and recover what it was supposed to do... :lol:

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

69B5

So I have a few issues relating to carbs. And I am out of my area of expertise!!!

History: I want to add a power brake booster to my manual drum brake 69 Charger RT 440 4 speed.  It has a high rise Mopar intake (no numbers on it, just says Mopar) and my motor has what seems by ear to sound like maybe a .30 over cam and headers (I bought it used and don't know about the cam, heads, etc) . It came with what looks to be a recent Edelbrock 1406 (600 cfm, square bore, electric choke, Mechanical secondary) put on it.

Apparently, neither this carb nor the high rise has a vacuum line hook up that I can use for a power brake booster, so I have been told I could just drill into the intake and tap it, but I am not sure I am crazy about that idea

Despite this being a newer carb, the car needs a pump of the pedal to start, and kind of starts on a clumsy, low idle where it might stall if I don't give it a little gas leaving my foot down on the pedal a little. Once it warms up slightly the idle goes up, sounding higher then it should idle and it blows a LOT of white smoke. Then maybe 5-10 minutes later the idle goes down at least some, but still a higher then expected idle. Car however came from California and maybe the thing is not tuned for our colder Michigan weather, but I can't say it purrs right now

There is a guy selling a used Holley 4160,  750. Holley 750 CFM, (Holley part number 80508-8) square bore vacuum operated secondary, electric choke carb in what he says is  in excellent condition.
"I had this carb on my 66 Mopar 383 with auto transmission & operated great last week.  Nothing wrong with this carb, changed cam & installed a larger Quick Fuel carb.  This carb is about 4 years old and has not been modified.  Duel fuel inlet included, 1 inch heat spacer included. Carb worked perfectly on my 383, AT, 3.73 rear gear 3900 lb car"

I am wondering if this carb may be better suited for my 440 because it (hopefully) has a brake booster line, is larger CFM and was already on a mopar, But I hope the 1" spacer plate isn't REQUIRED because I can barely get my hood to close with a high rise anyways

thoughts????? !!!!! Any thoughts on "double pumpers", I will be doing just street driving (but no one said not fun street driving!)

Also, do people run manual chokes on the chargers? Did the 68-70 chargers always have some kind of automatic choke?

thank you for any input

BLK 68 R/T

Sounds like you better address the "lots of white smoke" issue before worrying about anything else. White smoke = coolant getting into the combustion chamber.