News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Single Stage Original vs. Base-Clear

Started by FastbackJon, October 11, 2018, 11:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastbackJon

Considering having my 1968 Charger R/T QQ1 blue repainted.

I am fascinated with the thought of having a single stage metallic paint job, just like the car would have had new instead of a super-shiny over restored looking car. I believe the original paint was acrylic enamel.

I assume most cars these days are basecoat/clearcoat. I am worried the color will come out wrong with that too. My red Charger was painted base/clear using a new car code and it came out a lot brighter red than what the new cars look like (my reference).

Is it abnormal to put a single stage metallic paint job back on the car or does anyone else do this?
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

alfaitalia

Live and learn,,,,I did not know that they were ever painted with single coat metallic....or that you could paint like that. Cars over hear had a base and top coat metallic at least back to the mid 60's.....Jaguar claims that there XK150 was a two stage met paint back in 1957.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

maxwellwedge

Yes - original Mopar paint from that era was acrylic enamel, single stage. I restore everything with acrylic enamel....because I'm sick - Lol. It is getting harder to find. If it is a metallic - the metallic colors are even harder to get to look right.....the flakes are different in modern paints.

spoolinhard

I believe they were originally sprayed with lacquer. Sometimes technology is a good thing.

hemi-hampton

I think it was GM that used Laquer, not sure about Ford. I would not advise Single Stage Metallic. Unfortunately I'll be spraying a big School Bus converted to a Camper in Single Stage Metallic gray in the next week or 2. Won't be fun. LEON.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 14, 2018, 02:37:38 PM
I think it was GM that used Laquer, not sure about Ford. I would not advise Single Stage Metallic. Unfortunately I'll be spraying a big School Bus converted to a Camper in Single Stage Metallic gray in the next week or 2. Won't be fun. LEON.

Yes - GM was lacquer...Ford - not sure.
Chrysler, during the muscle car era was definitely, 100% for sure acrylic enamel. The FSM's did say that lacquer could be used on touch-ups. 

JR

Single stage paint has a deeper color and more depth.

Base clear is much easier to repair when you get light scratches, or ever have to repair/repaint a single panel.

I use base clear, but there's nothing "wrong" with either.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

myk

Wouldn't base/clear be more durable also, with the clear coat protecting the base?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: FastbackJon on October 11, 2018, 11:10:19 PM
Considering having my 1968 Charger R/T QQ1 blue repainted.

I am fascinated with the thought of having a single stage metallic paint job, just like the car would have had new instead of a super-shiny over restored looking car. I believe the original paint was acrylic enamel.

I assume most cars these days are basecoat/clearcoat. I am worried the color will come out wrong with that too. My red Charger was painted base/clear using a new car code and it came out a lot brighter red than what the new cars look like (my reference).

Is it abnormal to put a single stage metallic paint job back on the car or does anyone else do this?

You could do it in single stage urethane and it would probably be a tint to match.  Basecoat is by far easier to repair and blend in. Acrylic enamel  never did repair or re-coat well with feather edge swelling or lifting  and it has to set quite a while to buff if you need to BUT to its credit improvements were made for durability....
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

superbirdtom

the hemi orange actually has flake in it u can barley see.  i used to do acrylic enamel Metallic s quite often back in the 80,s  we never cut and rubbed them as u will mess up the metallics. i did however put clear right over it sometimes the last two coats if u wanted to cut and rub it.  i would actually use fast reducer for the metallic and let it set up for an hour then spray clear over it very carefully.  most ppl cannot tell a single stage from a two stage.. if your finish work aint perfect i mean very minute stuff specifically an engine compartment single stage covers and fills wheras basecoat has zero filling properties unless u use color blender in the first three coats.  its just a preference really