News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dead car, no spark. Suggestions?

Started by tcs69rt, October 03, 2018, 08:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcs69rt

So this is weak but I am in the middle of a move. Charger is in one location, tools (multimeter) and Charger service manual are in another for a few weeks. 440 Motor with mopar elec ign cranks over fine but does not start. After I stop cranking it, it will give one last chug and spray a light amount of fuel out of the carter afb carb. I borrowed a tool to check spark at the #1 plug and there is none. I had an ECU (Orange box) go bad a few years ago and it would backfire. It's not backfiring. I looked at the rotor and the metal tab looks intact and appears to be making contact. Should I turn the ign key on and check the coil? What should the output be? On a whim I replaced the voltage regulator, still won't start. Should I be looking at the ballast resistor? Is there an inline tester for the coil? I'll borrow a multimeter this weekend.  :2thumbs:
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

70 sublime

Do not think it is the ballast resistor
When you crank with the key it bypasses the resistor and only goes through it when you let go of the key in normal run mode
But car is not running in the crank mode
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

XH29N0G

When you write "one last chug" do you mean when you let off the key it seems like it catches and might start?  I would start by checking both the run and the crank the key settings to see if power (voltage) is going to the ignition (coil).  It is possible to have power with the ignition in run, but not when cranking. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

krops cars

Get a test light. See if it lights up on positive side. If yes the go to negative side. Crank over engine. It should blink on and off. If no bad module or box.

John_Kunkel

Disconnect the engine harness connector at the distributor, turn on the ignition switch and touch the male prong on the engine harness to ground. Each time the prong is grounded and pulled away you should get a spark from the coil. If it sparks, the distributor pickup is the problem, if not it's the primary wiring, ECU or coil.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

tcs69rt

Thanks all  :cheers: I'll get to my tools this weekend and try all suggestions above  :2thumbs: I'll post the results next week when I get to the Charger too.

tcs69rt

Bad coil, so back on the road again!  :cheers: