News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LED recommendation

Started by Dino, October 14, 2018, 07:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

taxspeaker

Dino

I am running LED's in 2 of my birds. Here is what I have found:

Use a heavy duty flasher rather than the LED flasher they want to sell. FOr some reason the LED flasher has issues with the turn signals.

In the dash I am using the superbright LEDs. They are a little loose though so use some of that grease for electric bulbs. They work great, but I find a problem in 1 car that has a repop dimmer rheostat, they work fine in the other bird with the original rheostat.

For some reason the back up lights won't work with LEDs, although the side markers, turn and brake lights do

Bob

WHITE AND RED 69

Stay away from the cheap ones Dino. The price sounds good but probably half of them won't work. 99% of the people who complain about LED's not being bright enough usually buy the cheap stuff.

I buy most of my lights from LEDlight.com. I have similar BA9S bulbs all over the car and they have been great. I like the 360 degree firing bulbs since they put out the most light and the ones I have can be dimmed. I'll snap some pics with them dimmed and post them up.

Not sure why Taxspeaker's reverse lights don't work? I've got LED's in mine and they work fine.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

raybork

Have any of you had issues with the LED turn signals where the turn signals that aren't being used when the turn signal switch is engaged to a certain side that the other side also flashes very dimly with the headlight switch in the off position?

ODZKing

I've been slowly converting both the 73 and 67 over. I have not done the signals yet but the side markers on the 73 BARELY work with the cheap ebay stuff. Most of those I tossed and went with Super Bright.
I tried EBay junk for our Pacifica and none of them worked. Good thing they weren't that much, they all went in the garbage.
Otherwise all of the Super Bright stuff is pretty good. It should be for the price.

Derwud

I use http://m4products.com/ in my cars, Trucks, Motorcycles and RV.. Great stuff and even better support.
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

Dino

Alright I'll be sure to get the good stuff.   :2thumbs:

Are you guys using cool or warm white bulbs for the instrument cluster?

ODZKing

Quote from: Dino on October 25, 2018, 08:03:59 AM

The brighter the better as far as I am concerned, you can always dim the cluster. I'd go with cool. Be sure to look at the intensity when ordering as well.

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Dino on October 25, 2018, 08:03:59 AM

Here's a pic with cool white ones with the stock blue lenses.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Sweet!

I'll place my order and get these old bulbs replaced.

Thanks guys   :cheers:

Dino

Almost forgot, my cluster turn signal indicators never worked with the LEDs and they're still incandescents. Would a new flasher fix that issue? I'm not running any LEDs on the exterior.

ODZKing

Quote from: Dino on October 25, 2018, 08:46:48 PM
Almost forgot, my cluster turn signal indicators never worked with the LEDs and they're still incandescent. Would a new flasher fix that issue? I'm not running any LEDs on the exterior.
Do your signals flash front and rear? If they do, it's not the flasher. Bad sockets, bad bulb, bad wire ... that is a whole 'nother can of worms  :'(

Dino

Yep all the signals flash fine, hood included, but when I installed LEDs in the dash turn indicators it either didn't light up or it was lit up constantly. I don't remember now...

I'll start with new bulbs and see what happens.

ODZKing

Quote from: Dino on October 25, 2018, 09:07:40 PM
Yep all the signals flash fine, hood included, but when I installed LEDs in the dash turn indicators it either didn't light up or it was lit up constantly. I don't remember now...

I'll start with new bulbs and see what happens.
Remember, most are polarized which means there is a right and wrong way ( + and -) to put them in the socket, at least the replacement 194's were. I don't think you can blow anything up but be careful.

Dino

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on October 16, 2018, 01:58:13 PM
Stay away from the cheap ones Dino. The price sounds good but probably half of them won't work. 99% of the people who complain about LED's not being bright enough usually buy the cheap stuff.

I buy most of my lights from LEDlight.com. I have similar BA9S bulbs all over the car and they have been great. I like the 360 degree firing bulbs since they put out the most light and the ones I have can be dimmed. I'll snap some pics with them dimmed and post them up.

Not sure why Taxspeaker's reverse lights don't work? I've got LED's in mine and they work fine.

Clayton which LEDs did you get that are dimmable? I can't find any. The ones I have are the cheaper version of the 5-LED bulbs and they dim ever so slightly but not really worth it.

ODZKing

Quote from: Dino on October 31, 2018, 08:39:33 PM
Clayton which LEDs did you get that are dimmable? I can't find any. The ones I have are the cheaper version of the 5-LED bulbs and they dim ever so slightly but not really worth it.
Dino, these are dimmable.
Go to specifications and it will say "Dimmable : Yes"
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-products/filter/Base_Type,BA9S,1,454:Dimmable,Yes,38,1198:

Dino

Quote from: ODZKing on November 01, 2018, 11:41:06 AM
Dino, these are dimmable.
Go to specifications and it will say "Dimmable : Yes"
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-products/filter/Base_Type,BA9S,1,454:Dimmable,Yes,38,1198:

Thanks Bob!

It's tricky reading the reviews; some people love them , others say they're not bright enough. Though call.

WHITE AND RED 69

Here are the ones I have in mine.

https://www.ledlight.com/ba9s-5-ultra-bright-smt-led-light.aspx

https://www.ledlight.com/t10-wedge-5-ultra-bright-smt-led-light.aspx

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on November 01, 2018, 08:14:24 PM

Here are the ones I have in mine.

https://www.ledlight.com/ba9s-5-ultra-bright-smt-led-light.aspx

https://www.ledlight.com/t10-wedge-5-ultra-bright-smt-led-light.aspx

Ordered   :cheers:

Any good way to test which way the bulbs go in seeing they are polar sensitive? I'd hate to install the cluster and find out I have to pull it again to flip some bulbs around.

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Dino on November 01, 2018, 09:24:26 PM

Any good way to test which way the bulbs go in seeing they are polar sensitive? I'd hate to install the cluster and find out I have to pull it again to flip some bulbs around.

Just got to live dangerously and roll the dice.   :lol:   I got lucky and they all worked on the first go.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

I was afraid you were gonna say that.   :lol:

ODZKing

Quote from: Dino on November 01, 2018, 09:24:26 PM

Yes, on the battery with a test lead to + and - or ground.