News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drone comparison

Started by Sixtyeight, October 16, 2018, 12:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixtyeight

Hi,

I'm in the lucky position two own 2 Chargers, a 68 and a 69. Both with a fresh rebuild 440 engine. One sounds absolutely fantastic and the other one has a drone from hell in it...

This is the difference in set up:

68 = headers / 2.5 RVS pipes / No H-pipe / Flowmasters Delta Flow 40 = sounds fantastic...no drone whatsoever
69 = Original stock HP manifolds / 2.5 standard pipes / H-pipe / Flowmasters Delta Flow 50 = heavy drone in the car...

According to the experts the Flowmaster 50 should have a lesser drone instead of a bigger one, and the biggest difference are the headers or the H pipe, or the combination...

Who knows the cause of this difference in drone sound?

Thanks
Jeroen.

Charger Registration of the Netherlands / www.charger.nl
1968 R/T Charger
1969 Base Charger

c00nhunterjoe

They will all drone at some range. Its a combination of the specific engine build, load, gears, and sweet spot rpm.

Sixtyeight

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 16, 2018, 12:28:35 PM
They will all drone at some range. Its a combination of the specific engine build, load, gears, and sweet spot rpm.

As said, the 68 has no drone whatsoever...

Jeroen.

1968 R/T Charger
1969 Base Charger

cdr

are the distributors set up the same, timing,vac adv, ? late ign timing can make the exhaust loud & drone.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Sixtyeight

Yes settings about the same...

Jeroen.

1968 R/T Charger
1969 Base Charger

c00nhunterjoe

I have never seen any brand 2 chamber muffler that did not have a drone of some kind. As i said, you are just not in the sweet spot in your driving habits. Thats not a bad thing. The reason you only experience in 1 of your cars given identical engines is because you have 2 totally different exhaust systems on the exact same build.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Both engines have the same cam, compression ratio, carb etc?

Usually the H-Pipe will help with resonation but it looks like this is not true in your case?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

don duick

one engine may have  a better balance. I had a really bad drone that was caused by a converter that was out of balance or wrong for the motor.

JR

I have no idea, but I can tell you back when I had HP manifolds, 2.5 inch exhaust with H pipe, and 40 series Flowmasters with no resonators, the drone was awful.

I got fed up with them one day and put a stock style muffler back on, and all the drone is gone. I have shorty headers now, and still no drone.

Just hearing the name "Flowmaster" sends me into a nervous twitch, I'll never buy another set of them again.

I know this isn't a helpful post, but it felt good to get that out. :icon_smile_big:
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

BSB67

I think there are a set of conditions, both car (weight, gear, converter, cam...) and exhaust related that will make the drone condition better, or worse.  However, everything else being equal, I think that manifolds always worse.  If you use a Dynomax 17747 muffler the drone will either disappear, or nearly disappear initially.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

TommyGun

On my 68 with 440, when it had manifolds it had a bad drone. Couldn't talk at all or hear radio. I changed to headers and now it doesn't drone at all.

bsakal

Quote from: BSB67 on November 05, 2018, 01:12:31 PM
If you use a Dynomax 17747 muffler the drone will either disappear, or nearly disappear initially.

I had a set of the Dynomax 17747 on my 69 Satellite with a built 383 and HP manifolds, droned like crazy. I took them off and put on AP 6493 mufflers (they are their Big Max Turbo mufflers, long case with dented corners like the hemi muffler), and the drone was in a different range. I added a pair of 4 inch round AP mufflers as resonators like the Hemi cars had - drone gone. The Dynomax 17747 also droned on my stock 66 big block Newport.
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

Kern Dog

It is the manifolds, man....No matter what people say, they are like trying to empty a pool through a garden hose compared to headers.

Challenger340

Very little to No Drone at all, almost to the point you wouldn't know the Engine is "on" when driving unless you roll the windows up/turn down the radio, very quiet.

'69 R/T SE, factory original Manifolds/H-pipe/Tailpipes, 2 new "correct" style resto mufflers 6 years ago.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Sixtyeight

Tried the Walkers Sound FX now on the one with the drone.... Drone gone, but just because they really are silent mufflers....

I think I agree with Kern Dog...I believe it´s the manifolds...if you want a louder open chamber muffler, I think you also need the headers.

Jeroen

1968 R/T Charger
1969 Base Charger