News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

EFI Must Have: AR Engineering's Water Neck Spacer with CTS Port

Started by TexasStroker, October 16, 2018, 12:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

I'm sure some of you are on other boards and might have seen this, but if not, it is definitely something you will want to know about...especially if you are converting to EFI.

The first few steps of the conversion are usually installing an Oxygen Sensor and a Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS).  Seems simple until you realize you don't have any available or ports, or that installing the CTS would require bushings and the removal of your mechanical temperature sensor.  Lucky for us, Andy at AR Engineering ran into this same predicament and crafted a pretty sweet solution.

Andy was nice enough to send over one of the prototypes and it looks great!  This will allow for proper operation of the computer.  Since the port is offset and not centered you can easily flip it to orient the sensor to the right or left for the best/cleanest install.

Similarly, regardless of if you swear by FiTech, switch to Holley, jump on board with Edelbrock or Fast, or even just do your own thing with MegaSquirt you are covered with this simple and effective solution.

The part is slated for production and should be ready soon...you can find it on Andy's Site, http://arengineering.com/, or over at Mancini Racing or Hughes Engines.  If you are looking to make the switch to EFI, this is going to be something you will definitely want on the parts list!

Hopefully this will help out some of my fellow Charger friends...definitely going to simplify installations!  If you are into updating your Charger, you can probably find some other stuff you'll like on Andy's site.

Here are a few pictures:

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

cdr

I have seen that on his post at moparts, awesome part, wont work on my set up, no room because of A/C compressor .
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

John_Kunkel

Yeah, my luck, as soon as I make one, Andy makes one and better than mine.  ::)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TexasStroker

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 17, 2018, 03:36:39 PM
Yeah, my luck, as soon as I make one, Andy makes one and better than mine.  ::)

I was in the same boat, but was waiting on pricing...I was going to have it cut and then I'd finish it on the mill....this worked better for me, lol.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Dino

I didn't know there was an issue with the CTS. The Sniper kit will be installed over the winter so thanks for posting this and saving me some headache!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Dino on October 18, 2018, 03:50:07 PM
I didn't know there was an issue with the CTS. The Sniper kit will be installed over the winter so thanks for posting this and saving me some headache!   :2thumbs:

There's no issue unless the port in the waterpump is seized up. It will be perfect for those who want to run a separate mechanical gauge or electric fan temp sensor.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on October 18, 2018, 06:52:32 PM
Quote from: Dino on October 18, 2018, 03:50:07 PM

There's no issue unless the port in the waterpump is seized up. It will be perfect for those who want to run a separate mechanical gauge or electric fan temp sensor.

Good to know.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

flyinlow

TexasStroker

Quote from: flyinlow on October 18, 2018, 08:48:26 PM
does the sensor have enough exposer?

That last picture was more to show the connection side.  More importantly,  I just loosely threaded it in since it isn't a final install.  Andy has used it with success and has done quite a bit of tuning/testing.  I've never seen a study comparing potential differences between two locations, but it would be interesting (despite varying motor to motor it seems a general consensus could be established).  As White and Red mentioned with the mech gauge and fan sensors...you can swap them all around to get the best set up, regardless if that be accuracy or what makes for the cleanest install.

I would venture to guess that the greater majority converting to EFI will have their mechanical gauge already set up and want to retain its' services.  Thus, simply installing this spacer allows a quick and easy plumbing of the CTS. 
In the event someone is going full tilt and plans to ditch their stock gauge cluster or add-on gauges for a digital dash or something, you have even more flexibility.

This is really one of those parts that you'll appreciate the most when you've run into the headache, lol.  It would be really great if header manufacturers would give an option for O2 bungs...sucks to have a coated header and have to weld on it.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Midnight_Rider

Quote from: TexasStroker on October 19, 2018, 01:07:23 PM
It would be really great if header manufacturers would give an option for O2 bungs...sucks to have a coated header and have to weld on it.

Found that option on the TTI site while looking at the 1-7/8" 440 headers:

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/MoparClassics-Headers/440-178/TTi440-178.htm

Toward the bottom of the page...

Installed in Header Collectors... # MISC-02COL

Installed in Reducer Adapters... # MISC-02RED

$ 51.50 / set

They will do EGT bungs too  :o

TexasStroker

Nice find!  That is a big deal that they will do them before the coating is applied!

I haven't mocked anything up, but it seems like I'd want the O2 Bungs installed at 2 o'clock on the Driver's Side and 11 o'clock on the Passenger Side. Maybe they would make adjustments...don't think I'd want the sensors at 90 degrees.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Derwud

I wish it was made with a Thermostat relief in the bottom.. I want my Thermostat in the coolant flow.
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981