News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trunk lid skin detached from structure, panel bond adhesive?

Started by Hemidog, October 19, 2018, 01:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidog

As mentioned in the topic, my trunk lid top skin has detached itself from the lower "structure". You can push the skin down with you fingers ("blip-blop").
Needless to say it makes a horrible sound when you shut it.

It is the 70 model type with only holes for the spoiler, so you do not have access to the original panel adhesive.

What would you do in this situation? Buy som quality panel adhesive, drill some strategic holes underneath, use the adhesive, then put something heavy on top and leave it for a while?

Gold Rush

Yup, You have a conundrum there!!  Don't see any other option but to drill a few small strategically located holes and get some sealer on the joints.  Problem is, all the bonding sealers I've seen are dispensed from a calking guy style apparatus and those nozzles usually are short and pretty large.  I wonder if a product like "Dow Great Stuff" might do the trick.  It's nozzle is a straw like tube less than a quarter inch diameter.  You'd still have quite a hit and miss situation getting anything in the correct locations.

Good Luck with this one...
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

Hemidog

Bronzedodge

The way the 69 and 70 Charger trunk lids are, I'm surprised no one else has this issue.
Mopar forever!

Hemidog

Highbanked Hauler

There is a foam that will fill a cavity but does not expand, not sure but I think 3M makes it.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

JerseyJoe

Quote from: Bronzedodge on October 22, 2018, 05:28:41 PM
The way the 69 and 70 Charger trunk lids are, I'm surprised no one else has this issue.

Mine is the same way. Makes a horrible sound going over bumps. I've considered drilling and using "anti-flutter" foam http://www.tcpglobal.com/FUS124.html#.XBxPF1xKhPY
Other types of foam may trap moisture and cause bigger problems.
I'm not crazy about the idea of re-skinning my trunk lid to fix it.