News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

500 / Daytona rear window trim

Started by hemi68charger, October 21, 2018, 02:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang...

Anyone have recent experience with this molding? New reproductions from AMD

http://www.autometaldirect.com/amd-back-glass-molding-set-69-charger-daytona-500-p-8141.html
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

kevs1969daytona

Redbird

It is expensive.

But if there was no one making reproductions it would be really expensive.

People complain all the time how someone should make things cheaper. Yet they do not or will not tool up to build something. If it is too expensive and the margins are huge, someone else will step up and build the part too. Here is a business that has stepped up to the plate and made a slow-moving rare part. They should be applauded and rewarded for taking the risk.

Now back to the question of does it fit well and what are peoples experiences with it?

hemi68charger

Quote from: Redbird on October 21, 2018, 06:49:56 PM
It is expensive.

Now back to the question of does it fit well and what are peoples experiences with it?

My friend mentioned that he has used the AMD Superbird and E-bodies before and he was pleased. So, wanted to know about the Aero-Dodges.. Wanted to scope this out before going down the road of finding a stainless steel welding guru to modify original standard Charger molding. I totally get starting up the tooling for such things is expensive and the cost to recoop the cost on such a unique piece of merchandise can be rather daunting.
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

DAY CLONA

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 21, 2018, 02:37:34 PM
Hey gang...

I've had mixed reviews from some of my customers that have used the AMD trim, for some it was ZERO issues, for others it had minor issues, either with the corners or the drivers upper, but a lot depends on the vehicle, we all know how original cars were slapped together, plus repaired/early restorations, or if you have a clone, depending on who's plug was used, how it was installed can create issues, and of course the back yard mechanic who is all thumbs and can fubar a free spoon fed lunch add to the mix of potential issues and complaints...

I've seen guys and professionals who can't even get the original trim back on the same car after just a paint job...

I usually remind most of my customers that the lower corners, while identical to the stock 68-70 Charger, are flipped left to right (passenger to driver/driver to pass) on the C500/Daytona as they are dog legged in design to help tie in the lower strip because of the expanse of the lower strip, this could create an issue with the uppers meeting/aligning with the interlock if they are short...

panhead

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 21, 2018, 02:37:34 PM
Hey gang...

http://www.autometaldirect.com/amd-back-glass-molding-set-69-charger-daytona-500-p-8141.html

Good morning,

I'm using this item on my build and had some miner issues with the fit. Mainly along the lower corners, a little tight but do able. Look in my build thread I believe page 5.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

Highbanked Hauler

Most everything on these cars is a (make it fit) situation, was even when they were new.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hemi68charger

Got my set.. I haven't gotten to retrofit them yet, but laid them over my existing Daytona and C500 and they seem pretty good, maybe a wee bit off on curvature on the big halves, but more than likely, very workable.. I was impressed with the thickness and quality of the stamping...

T
Troy

INTMD8

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 01, 2018, 07:31:18 PM
Got my set.. I haven't gotten to retrofit them yet, but laid them over my existing Daytona and C500 and they seem pretty good, maybe a wee bit off on curvature on the big halves, but more than likely, very workable.. I was impressed with the thickness and quality of the stamping...

T

Can you give me a measurement on those? Would like to try and cut/weld some but need to know the length. (I don't need them myself, just want to see if I can do it)
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

chargervert

Troy,those moldings were templated from the yellow Charger 500 that I traded to you.

hemi68charger

Quote from: chargervert on December 02, 2018, 09:39:07 AM
Troy,those moldings were templated from the yellow Charger 500 that I traded to you.

Hey Pete.. That was some time ago.. Guess R&D took it a while to get to market? You are a tester too, no?
Troy