News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A new SEMA Daytona project underway. Tred Wear's "Scraptona."

Started by JR, October 21, 2018, 11:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Kern Dog

Man, I don't want to be a downer but why are people so enthused about building a shitty looking car?
The "Rat Rod" trend...Sure, I get that. 1930s cars with a mish-mash of parts thrown together to get them driveable. That was fine.
THEN it ooozed into the 50s cars, then later cars. Why do people embrace a dirtbag build when they have the capability to do it right? The Roadkill guys are an exception. Their goal is usually to get something running and driveable for a TV show. These cars built by professional shops are surely not a cheap endeavor.
This car, if the artwork in the depiction is any clue, will have a Partridge family bus type of paint scheme. Why?

WHITE AND RED 69

I dig it. 15" wide wheels on all four corners is pretty badass. Might be a handful for normal street use but it's still cool. And that car was on its way to the crusher so another one saved is good in my book.  

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 22, 2018, 01:27:16 AM
Man, I don't want to be a downer but why are people so enthused about building a shitty looking car?
The "Rat Rod" trend...Sure, I get that. 1930s cars with a mish-mash of parts thrown together to get them driveable. That was fine.
THEN it ooozed into the 50s cars, then later cars. Why do people embrace a dirtbag build when they have the capability to do it right? The Roadkill guys are an exception. Their goal is usually to get something running and driveable for a TV show. These cars built by professional shops are surely not a cheap endeavor.
This car, if the artwork in the depiction is any clue, will have a Partridge family bus type of paint scheme. Why?

I think the big deal is you get to bypass the whole paint process and get right to driving part. Paint and body work takes time and a huge chunk of cash. How many people end up years into it with no progress, so to get right to the fun part doesn't sound bad at all. Also it doesn't look like this is a Detroit Speed or Ringbrothers professional type build. From the pictures I've seen they are in an old shop with basic tools and doing it themselves. So this isn't a big high dollar build.

Another thing is this isn't the final product, they will unveil it at SEMA but still has a lot more work going into it after the show. So they might do all the paint/body work later on and who knows, it might be show quality when its done.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

JR

As long as it's done in a function over form purpose, I have no issue with the ratty car builds.

I've seen enough over restored chalk mark show pieces, and 250k high end builds to last me a lifetime.

There's a video of this car driving circulating around Facebook I'm looking to add here too.

Edit: I added it to the bottom of the first post.

JB400

bakerhillpins

I think it's pretty cool looking.  The rat rod thing is fine but I think it would look better cleaned up and painted. Regardless I think the design ques are nicely put together and I usually don't like the oversized wheels deal.

I will say this... I just got back from being lost in their Instagram feed for probably 30 minutes. Whomever is shooting for them does a great job.  :yesnod: :coolgleamA: Nice wallpaper shots in there.  :drool5:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Stevearino

I got excited when I saw the Superbird front on the Charger including the Coronet fenders but then I saw the artwork and realized I was looking at the finished product. It is a cool start point though. I wonder what that back glass is. It does not look like Vega glass as it is straight across the bottom. I have been wondering if there is any modern glass that would fit the bill for the fast back. Also I was tied to 20" wheels on my build because of the Brembo brakes but I think anything over 18" is crossing a line with the scale. I get what they are doing though.

darbgnik

A few cues about this car I really like...

I like how they chose to widen the front fenders and rear quarters by leaving them open. The front fender "vents" could extract engine heat same as on the Viper, and the rear could feed cooling air to the rear brakes if they care to duct it there.

I also really like how they have the headlights behind windows in the nose cone. Very GT40.

It's a bonus that no car was cut up in the making.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Stevearino on October 22, 2018, 06:33:39 PM
I have been wondering if there is any modern glass that would fit the bill for the fast back.

There are apparently auto glass places out there that can find modern glass that has the same shape as existing, but larger, and score and cut to size. This was detailed on (I believe) Wheeler Dealers when they were (are they still?) shooting in CA.  It required the shop owner to have quite the background/experience for matching profiles but the scoring/breaking seemed relatively straight forward.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Stevearino

Quote from: bakerhillpins on October 23, 2018, 07:47:11 AM
Quote from: Stevearino on October 22, 2018, 06:33:39 PM
I have been wondering if there is any modern glass that would fit the bill for the fast back.

There are apparently auto glass places out there that can find modern glass that has the same shape as existing, but larger, and score and cut to size. This was detailed on (I believe) Wheeler Dealers when they were (are they still?) shooting in CA.  It required the shop owner to have quite the background/experience for matching profiles but the scoring/breaking seemed relatively straight forward.

I'd be interested in seeing what they used. Probably windshields which are not tempered. The are enormous these days.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Stevearino on October 23, 2018, 03:21:34 PM
I'd be interested in seeing what they used. Probably windshields which are not tempered. The are enormous these days.

Yes, they replaced a windshield using a windshield from a chevy something or other.  Can't cut tempered glass. I think you can if you reheat it and reverse the tempering process???? but that seems to defeat the purpose.

I would think that you really wouldn't notice the safety vs tempered in the rear unless you broke it at which point it wouldn't matter.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

chargervert

Stevearino

https://www.facebook.com/TredWear/videos/690764394628280/UzpfSTEwMDAwMDA4NzI1MTE5MzoyMTc2Njc5NTc1Njc4MjYz/  Here is a link to a video on facebook of the car running around the yard. Sounds pretty awesome. It appears to be mounted on a late model racing chassis. There are 3 videos on their facebook page and in one you can see the glass is lexan as it has vents cut into both the back glass and quarter windows.

Ponch ®

Im ok with the rat rod type builds if its a legit "make do with what ya got" type situation. If you're building a SEMA-level car and youre making it look ratty as a fashion statement of sorts, it loses cred in my book. I mean, even a small "old shop with basic tools" can afford a can or two of primer or flat paint. It's kinda like those hipsters that pay $200 for a pair of brand new jeans that are supposed to look worn, ripped, and faded.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

TruckDriver

I totally agree. I can't even stand wheels bigger the 17" on any older pre-1990 car.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JR

djcarguy

1974dodgecharger

Love this build....saw it last year the guys building it........
On that note its not everyone cup of tea the rims size, heck remember when I posted my car 5 years ago I had 20 incs and everyone mocked me on this board and yet now here we are 5 years later everyone is now doing 22s  :icon_smile_big: and the 20s are almost norm on old classic cars....
this sport just, hah I called it a sport, evolves with new generation getting involved and older generation liking the older ways both WIN in my book.....
Never thought I would look into EFI and here I am now looking at 16 injectors, 2 extra injectors for methanol injection, holley dominator to control it all...