News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bussed Relay Bank for Electrical Upgrades

Started by Randy_Lahey, October 22, 2018, 11:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete in NH

I have to say I agree with John and Joe on this one. A 130 amp alternator on these cars is a dangerous thing without a complete redesign of the electrical distribution system and I say this as a retired electrical engineer and someone with over 50 years experience with these cars.

These cars are now 50 years old and were designed in a day with far fewer demands on the electrical system. They can not safely be thought of as a 2018 car with big alternators and 2018 electrical loads. John is correct when he says a dead battery will see that 130 amps flow from the alternator toward the battery and the ammeter will be in the path in the existing system. Not to mention the bulk head connector pins which are already stressed at 46 amps. The ammeter can not safely remain in the system with a large alternator. This is one of the reasons newer cars have long ago gone to a voltmeter. There was a mention of 8 gauge wire and even that is on the light side for a system dealing with a potential of 130 amps. 4 gauge would be a better choice.

Well that's my  :Twocents: worth  and like other free advice on the internet the original poster will have to make his own decision about who to listen to. But, there is little doubt given the right circumstances that big alternator will be a fire hazard of not if but when.   

Nacho-RT74

I have already told... when ppl get the courage to proove it, test it and check it personally, will talk about ;)

There is no way a FULLY discharged 12 volts batt sucks 80 amps, 130 amps 500 amps in an instant with alt able to give it to damage anything with EVERYTHING in order. The ammeter is safe as far is in good conditions. Being there done that!!!

Bulkhead conections are another story.

just try it, everyone!

This is the alt I have, but changed to the small pulley... and the ammeter barelly moves on instants flicks, the batt never gets discharged on regular circunstances. Once got discharged my batt because left parking lights on all day long, and could charge my batt on car. Ammeter read full charge just about 3 or 4 minutes, but no more than the full charge, then got half charge reading by 10 minutes, then barelly 10 amps ( 1/4 charge reading ) untill got it full charged in half day riding around

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

c00nhunterjoe

Im definatly not a blindered horse. Amps are nothing more then a measurement of the flow of electricity, not a suction as you described. Do some reading on ohms law.
 You like to compare the mopar system to charging your cell phone and the ampload use analogy of a 200 amp source in the basement. A better analogy would be plugging an 100 foot extension cord into an outlet, plugging a powerstrip into that, then running a space heater, tv, dvd player, and charging your phone....

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on October 31, 2018, 08:39:48 PM

It can't be charged faster or higher amperage than the battery capacity to get the load absorved or captured by the chemical process. I Repeat, YOU CAN'T PUSH IN the amperes, they just can be sucked

And do you have a number for the maximum amps that can be "sucked" into a dead battery? If that number exceeds the ammeter rating, the oversized alternator can cause damage. My point.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Derwud

1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

b5blue

Boy are we all short fused. (PUN) No need to worry about me guys. Every inch of my costly complete replacement harness was hand inspected and corrected (Yes I found loose crimps.) prior to install. Really with proper fusing protection (Some added, like on the worrisome 8ga.) and fusible links you can protect the car from idiots. All my mods were done using the USAF training I've used to install various navigation systems (FAA inspected.) marine (Coast Guard inspected) Industrial/Multi-family/Condo/Home and Elevator control systems. (Again all passed inspection.) Funny how nobody argues about how fast or far you can drive with a pegged Temp. or zero oil pressure gauge. Cars are not battery chargers. I left my radio out after all mods and install so I could reach in and feel the back of my ALTERNATOR gauge and harness under many load conditions. (I also installed a new 60amp rated OER gauge) The key here is just knowing when to call a tow truck these old Mopars were not prone to self destructing.