News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gas Tank Replacement - Suggestions? Help?

Started by 1969RTSE, May 08, 2006, 03:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969RTSE

Hey everyone,

Long time since I've posted, only been to the 'new' board a few times...  I'm looking for some advice on gas tank replacement.  I punched a hole in the lower forward end about two years ago while doing a dyno run (put my foot into it, tranny downshifted, rear-end jumped and lurched down knocking the tank into a ratchet strap handle that wasn't fully stowed).  Anywho, I patched it with some of that two-part epoxy stuff with the nylon webbing... I started smelling gas in the garage a few days ago and finally found the culprit - the gasoline finally softened the epoxy repair and was starting to drip again.

I'm not going to mess with another repair this time, just want to replace the tank.  I'm looking for suggestions on where to buy the tank and what other hardware I might/should replace at the same time (like straps, fuel sending unit, lines, etc.)  Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated, as I have never replaced a gas tank before.

Mark

Neal_J

A couple of years ago, just after filling up my tank, I smelled raw gas and crawled underneath with a flashlight.  I picked at the wet spot (bad idea) causing the slow drip to become a steady stream (really bad idea).  It looked like a three-year-old boy was beneath my gas peeing 87 octane!  Nineteen gallons later, the tank was empty and the storm drain was dangerously full (environmentally insensistive bad idea). 

I ordered the tank from Year One (the anti-Christ) or any other (read: CHEAPER) vendor and replacement was a simple R&R.  I believe all the replacement tanks are made by one Canadian supplier. Replace the sender only if the one you have is have is not working.  You certainly should replace the filter sock.   Replace the straps if they're rusty.  Replace the trunk seal if crusty.  Use some roofing felt to replace the tarpaper pad atop the tank. 

Best advise:  wear safety goggles - it's nasty under there.

Cheers

Neal J

Tom_440

And if you need to replace the straps because they are rusted beyond repair, be sure to bend the new ones to fit before trying to install the tank.  They don't fit so well out of the box. Oh...don't forget a new seal from tank to filler tube.  I think that is included with the YO tanks, but check. You can also grab tanks at http://www.autobodyspecialt.com/

bull

Mustang Specialties (yea, I know) has/had the best price on 2nd Charger gas tanks. They sell them, or used to sell them, on Ebay and when I bought mine I paid about $170 including shipping. Here's one that's close to that, $195 incl. shipping: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/68-69-70-Dodge-Charger-Gas-Fuel-Tank-CR9A_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33556QQitemZ8062312069QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Year One is going to charge a boatload of money for the same thing.

EDIT: Year One wants $246 plus shipping "F667 - Fuel tank, 1966-1967 B-body models 19-gallon capacity tank, reproduction. $246.00"

Shakey

You'd be surprised what you can find at your local Car Quest or NAPA or.....

I'll bet they can get you a new tank within' a day or two.

My car came with a new tank, I just sanded it and coated it with Eastwood's Zinc Tank Tone.  I then bought my sending unit from Car Quest and had it the next day.

I posted a thread on the install here a while back.

Blakcharger440

How do you install the fuel sending unit? IS there any sort of calibration?

MGBRingo

I am needing to buy a new tank also.

I am planning to coat mine with the coating to keep it from rusting in the future.  Has anyone else done or are planning to coat their new tank also?

41husk

no calibration just hook it up it works with a float.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

67_Dodge_Charger

You could get that tank repaired at a radiator shop and you would have to spend about the same money as replacing with a new tank (after repair, seal, and replace worn parts).  You could find a tank for around $170 to $195.  I tried my local parts stores two years ago and they want an arm and a leg. 

good luck
-Robert

1969RTSE

Hey guys,

thanks for all the good suggestions.  There is enough crud under the car, I'll probably just go with a new tank and straps (and filter sock - forgot about that one, thanks to whoever suggested that).

I didn't even think to try my local parts store, but probably about the same as any online or catalog vendor I would assume (based on past experience).

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes.

tecmopar

Goodmark makes the tank you need, try Mancini racing, good luck.

bull

Here's the place I was thinking of: Mustangs Unlimited not Mustang Specialties. These guys have got the best price on Charger gas tanks, $174 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-1969-1970-DODGE-CHARGER-NEW-GAS-TANK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6763QQitemZ8062534487QQrdZ1