News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you do when you retire ?

Started by ACUDANUT, October 28, 2018, 08:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

I am scared of doing nothing.  My wife said we are moving in 5 years and the cars gotta go and the Horses.  She wants to downsize and travel the world.
A divorce would take more than half of what I have worked for my entire life, I am scared to be alone. (booze would kill me) Nobody wants an old, fat, ugly, bald man.

1970Moparmann

She wants to travel, and you want to keep your cars.   Easy decision - let her travel and enjoy retirement, and you work on your cars and enjoy your retirement.  She doesn't like it, tough!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

alfaitalia

When I retire....(hopefully in 2027 when I'm 60...investments and pensions permitting) there will be plenty of time to do both...travel the world a bit and work on the cars. I love cars but certainly would lose interest if I put full time working hours into it! I still want cars to be a hobby when I retire but with more free time to work on them......two or three weeks of cars followed but a holiday (ok...vacation!)? Sounds good to me!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

XH29N0G

As a first try, I would go with something like what Alfaitalia suggests and talk with her about some combination of travelling the world (for her) and working on the cars (for you).  Different things matter for each and it seems like it will be best for both to strike a compromise rather than split up on something like this because I think there will be plenty of time for both.   
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

birdsandbees

Travelling the world gets boring after awhile, working on Mopars NEVER does!  :yesnod: :yesnod:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

alfaitalia

You must have been to the wrong places! There are more amazing things to see in the world than anyone could see in one lifetime. I was lucky to travel the world quite a bit when young....would do it again tomorrow if I was single and childless!
I understand that less percentage of US residents travel abroad (or even own a passport)  than pretty much any country in the World! I guess when your country is so huge with so much to see you just don't need to.

Alaskan_TA

When I order new tires I bring them to the tire machine in the shop & 'retire' the wheels with the worn out tires.

With new tires, I always have a way to enjoy my time.  ;)

stripedelete

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on October 28, 2018, 04:38:00 PM
When I order new tires I bring them to the tire machine in the shop & 'retire' the wheels with the worn out tires.

With new tires, I always have a way to enjoy my time.  ;)

Do you leave them at the shop or do you chop them up and bury them under your porch?:)

Fred

What do you do when you retire ?

............Live happily ever after!
         It's working well for me.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

flyinlow

Travel North and South America in your car. It's a lot better view than from an airliner window. Taking a 50 year old Mopar to Alaska or Argentina should be an adventure.

Ryan.C

Quote from: birdsandbees on October 28, 2018, 02:01:27 PM
Travelling the world gets boring after awhile, working on Mopars NEVER does!  :yesnod: :yesnod:

Truth  :2thumbs:
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: ACUDANUT on October 28, 2018, 08:47:18 AM
A divorce would take more than half of what I have worked for my entire life, I am scared to be alone. (booze would kill me)

You're missing a third alternative but I won't go there.  ;D
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chad L. Magee

I have way too many irons in the fire to be able to retire anytime soon.  Plus, I am not that old yet...

If I ever get to retire, I would likely spend all my time as I spend my spare time now: researching....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Bob

Get up when I feel like it.
Go to bed when I feel like it.
Work outside when I feel like it.
Go fishing when I feel like it.
Eat when I feel like it.
Honey do list when she tells me.
Myrtle beach in the winter months.
Retirement is awesome. I retired at 58.

Kern Dog

Any person that dictates what BOTH will do is an asshole whether it is the Husband or the Wife. Marriage is a compromise.

alfaitalia

.....did your wife tell you to say that?!

Fred

Quote from: Bob on October 29, 2018, 04:03:04 PM
Eat when I feel like it.

Me too and no complaints ever since. :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Kern Dog

Quote from: alfaitalia on October 29, 2018, 06:42:06 PM
.....did your wife tell you to say that?!
Shit, man...Maybe I am just lucky. The Wife and I get along great. She is just as fiesty as I am and our relationship simply works.We are considerate enough to talk about plans before committing to them. I was married before to a generally unhappy person. Fuck that. Never again.

b5blue

I'm 6 months into it just now. After many friends at work explaining they saved up things to do ("Honey doos") then later seeing them at Home Depot miserable and swamped with crap others expected done I vowed it will not be me.
  I realize now the things I've finished in 6 months would have taken years if I continued to work. If you stay true to yourself and haven't been buried in debit and commitments to others it can be an endless summer. (Assuming decent heath.) I'm single and that suits me fine, if ya feel fat loose some pounds (I'm gonna!) and keep at least one good car if want, your allowed! Park the plow, put down the sword and shield.  :2thumbs:

Bob

Quote from: Fred on October 29, 2018, 11:02:11 PM
Quote from: Bob on October 29, 2018, 04:03:04 PM
Eat when I feel like it.

Me too and no complaints ever since. :2thumbs:
Exactly! Everyday is Saturday.

triple_green

5 months...sleep in and go to more car shows.

Going to visit shut-ins for my church and volunteer at the Union Gospel mission with the homeless.

Plan on going on 3-4 trips a year.Some years I will go on one or two big trips, like to Europe or something.

Mark

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Dans 68

Deferred maintanance on the house, cars and marriage.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

alfaitalia

Quote from: triple_green on November 04, 2018, 07:59:12 PM

Going to visit shut-ins for my church and volunteer at the Union Gospel mission with the homeless.

Plan on going on 3-4 trips a year.Some years I will go on one or two big trips, like to Europe or something.

Mark

Cool...we look forward to seeing you! Excuse my British ignorance...but what is a shut-in?

will

Quote from: alfaitalia on November 05, 2018, 01:53:55 AM
Quote from: triple_green on November 04, 2018, 07:59:12 PM

Mark

Cool...we look forward to seeing you! Excuse my British ignorance...but what is a shut-in?

Usually and elder or sometimes somewhat infirmed. Hermit isn't really a term I'd use, sometimes people just don't want to be bothered.

alfaitalia

Got it! That could easily end up being me if I ended up on my own.....im happiest in my own company and always have been........a result of being bought up in a small village with not a single other child other than my much younger sister But would rather be "shut-in" the garage than the house!