News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SUPERBIRD for sale on Craigslist

Started by Wingnut426, November 04, 2018, 07:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnut426

HEMI Daytona Convertible

taxspeaker

Mine.
With age my hands are now shaking bad enough I am having trouble holding a screwdriver and my frustration with physical limitations made me put it up there. Here is the info on the car. I do not have to sell it, just losing the ability to work on it personally.

1970 Plymouth Superbird RM23U0A175686  My cell phone is 502-552-5161.

Car has 2 build sheets, both jacks no VIN Tag, but trunk lip, dash vin and radiator core all match vin on title.

Car is missing rear triangles & black moulding at bottom of vinyl top, top was removed 40 years ago when car was driven on Birmingham International Raceway as pace car. Car does have stainless windshield moldings. Car was purchased from the estate of Terry (Hippie) Sevener along with an A-12 1969 ½ SuperBee, and a number of other old Mopars and parts. The car was raced at the Paragould Arkansas Wildcat Drag Strip.

Prior owner was James Cash:
Discussion 8/7/18 via telephone call I made to James Cash:

Car was sold new in 1970 in Birmingham, AL to a 65 year old couple that would not take delivery until the vinyl top was removed and the car was painted Petty blue by the dealership. This couple drove the car for one year, then traded it in. James Cash either bought it from the dealership or from a short-term interim owner (not sure) somewhere around 1973, owning it for about 20 years. At first the car was a driver and race car, timed at one point at Charlotte Motor Speedway at 158 MPH on bias ply tires. (James was a race car driver from Hueytown, AL). He had it repainted (poorly he says) Petty Blue once because of paint damage from sitting under an oak tree.

In 1986 he stripped the car to bare metal and had it painted in lacquer the dark blue it is today, pinstriped and signed by Richard Petty soon thereafter. The Superbird decals on the rear wing were ordered from Chrysler and came printed in reverse, as they still are today. He showed it in 5-6 World of Wheels events and won first place in every show as a trailer queen. For 1 year it was the pace car at Birmingham International Raceway when Tom Gloor owned the track. The car has a blank warranty block, 3.54 Dana rear end and to his knowledge is original. He sold the car sometime in the early 90's to Dalton ?? in Leeds, AL., who then either sold it directly to Terry Sevener or an intervening owner.

Repair Log
July 1, 2018   Replaced both rear shocks, Replaced both front shocks, tightened cover bolts on rear axle-stopping leaks, tightened drain hole on transmission-stopping leaks.

Replaced upper radiator hose & radiator cap, replaced distributor cap, replaced transmission mount, replaced speedometer cable, replaced back up light sending switch on tranny, replaced back up light wiring harness, cleaned engine compartment and underside of engine and tranny. Replaced tach wiring harness and new Tic-Toc tach.

Por-15 rust repaired floor on drivers, passenger's and trunk floor. Replaced 15 missing floor plugs, replaced washer pump & hose & bottle with old working ones from another car, replaced both battery cables with NOS, replaced radio speaker with stereo dual speaker,  Replaced voltage regulator Recovered front seats with Legendary interior covers

July 15, 2018   Installed floor hush mat, pressure washed seat belts & rear seat, installed new rear package tray and back seat divider, installed new rear carpet and back seat, cleaned door panels, installed new rear seat arm rests & chrome bases, steel wooled & reinstalled rear window cranks and old ash trays. Installed and tested rear wiring harness, installed new front passenger parking lens, installed new rubber nose bumper strip, refinished jacks, installed new trunk mat

July 26, 2018   Replaced headlight switch, replaced tic-toc-tach, installed new dash wiring harness, installed new rear brake shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware & turned drums & bled system, installed new bulbs for taillights, new LED rear side marker lights, checked dash wiring circuit board & bulbs replacing bulbs with LED,  re-installed missing firewall plugs for tach wiring harness, speedometer and clutch safety switch. Checked all switches, lights and wiring. Rear taillights and new flashers did not work together so replaced rear LED taillights with original 1156 bulbs and changed flashers from LED to heavy duty and now all lights and switches work correctly. Installed new wiper motor.

August 4, 2018   Completed heater box rebuild with new gaskets and heater core. Also rebuilt driver's air vent with new gaskets. Replaced starter relay and spark plug wires with repop Mopar parts. Steel wool cleaned up shifter chrome bezel.

August 7, 2018   Completed heater box install with new heater hoses. Checked all switches and lights. Installed new AM/FM retro-sound radio and special stereo dual-front speaker in dash.

August 8, 2018   Completed wiring check repairing back up lights and turn signal indicator. Reinstalled ash tray and glove box, began carpet re-installation, fuel gauge and backup lights not working.

Sept. 1, 2018   Replaced gas tank (seams split, bad rust), sending unit and straps. Fuel leaks stopped. Found rear wiring harness plug to dash harness not fully seated and seated it which repaired backup lights and fuel gauge.

Sept. 6, 2018    Replaced fuel filter, fuel pump (fuel starvation at hard accel), as well as vapor separator and pump/rubber hoses at engine to return to stock.

Oct. 28, 2018     Replaced battery with full size type, Replaced spark plugs with new Champion plugs. Completed full exterior window restoration with McKee 37 system. Replaced hood pins. Took 12 hours because of bad hands when it should have taken 90 minutes.

birdsandbees

Bob do you mean it's missing the FENDER tag... not the VIN tag? Seeing you say it has the dash VIN.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

taxspeaker

birdsandbees

That's not a biggy with you having broadcast sheets. Mine was the same way, someone back in the 80's borrowed the fender tag from mine, but I have 1.5 broadcast sheets, original texas title and all body, door decal and dash VIN's match.

Good luck on the sale!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

hemi68charger

Good Luck on the sale Bob... Sorry to hear about your frustration level.... Would be a cool car inlew of my C500....

Cheers,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Birdflu

Sorry to hear you have to sell it...good luck on the sale! Sweet car!  :2thumbs:

taxspeaker

Well I have calmed down a bit after my wife reminded me that what is the difference of 2 hours vs many hours-working on them is what many of us like to do, so unless someone on Craigslist comes up with the cash, probably not going to be sold. Shaky hands or not, I look forward to my Saturdays at the shop and the TV, old cars and fridge seems to draw buddys who love borrowing and using my stuff ;) ;)

cdr

Quote from: taxspeaker on November 05, 2018, 04:37:35 PM
Well I have calmed down a bit after my wife reminded me that what is the difference of 2 hours vs many hours-working on them is what many of us like to do, so unless someone on Craigslist comes up with the cash, probably not going to be sold. Shaky hands or not, I look forward to my Saturdays at the shop and the TV, old cars and fridge seems to draw buddys who love borrowing and using my stuff ;) ;)

I have Multiple Sclerosis, was a Mechanic most of my life, Had to quit work in 2011, many bad symptoms, bought my Charger in 2011 & have been working on it as I can, some days 2 or more hours, some days none at all, I have had to learn that the time it takes to do things on the car does not matter, the point is that it keeps my mind working & looking forward to my project, & then doing them 1 hour at a time, the hour add up & I get to drive, Drag race my Charger, having this car has saved my life, kept me going, without it I would have given up. KEEP ON WRENCHIN !!!! :)
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cdr

Here it is when I got it. don't give up :)
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Birdflu

Sounds like a GOOD woman...fortunate enough to have one of them myself!  :yesnod:

blewbyu

green69rt

Quote from: cdr on November 05, 2018, 05:01:24 PM

I have Multiple Sclerosis, was a Mechanic most of my life, Had to quit work in 2011, many bad symptoms, bought my Charger in 2011 & have been working on it as I can, some days 2 or more hours, some days none at all, I have had to learn that the time it takes to do things on the car does not matter, the point is that it keeps my mind working & looking forward to my project, & then doing them 1 hour at a time, the hour add up & I get to drive, Drag race my Charger, having this car has saved my life, kept me going, without it I would have given up. KEEP ON WRENCHIN !!!! :)

Amen, going on 73 and having more problems crawling around on the floor but I'll do what I have to do!!

62 Max

Quote from: green69rt on November 05, 2018, 07:19:59 PM
Quote from: cdr on November 05, 2018, 05:01:24 PM

Amen, going on 73 and having more problems crawling around on the floor but I'll do what I have to do!!

Wait a few more years,getting down used to be easy,getting up a little harder,now they are both hard! 

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html