News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hellephant - Is it feasible?

Started by 303 Mopar, November 01, 2018, 11:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

303 Mopar

With the announcement of the Hellephant crate engine with 1000 hp and 950 ft/lb tq, I was thinking about dropping one in my '68 Charger.  Beyond whatever the cost of the engine, harness, and front end is from Mopar you still have headers, maybe a tubular k-member, and engine mounts just to wedge this monster in the car.  Then I was thinking that I would have to replace the rest of my drivetrain to handle 1000 hp.  So now its a new transmission, driveshaft, new Dana with stout axels.  I have subframe connectors so that will help but may need inner fender and radiator supports.  I'm guessing a total of $50k minimum.

I'm left with is this magnificent engine even feasible?  And is there such a thing as TOO MUCH hp for a street car? And if so, what is the limit?
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

69Chrgr

I just sold my Hellcat with 707 horsepower, and it did not go to the ground. In addition, I would not want to go at those high speeds in my 69 Charger with an antiquated suspension and brakes. Cool engine, but a tad bit of overkill. Even the Hellcrate at 707 horsepower is overkill in my opinion.

JR

It's completely overkill for 99 percent of car guys. Completely pointless unless you're into bragging rights.

Its cool that it exists, I just don't care.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Troy

IMHO... that kind of power is near useless (for anything other than burnouts) without all the other goodies that come on the modern cars - and it's mostly useless in them! You're not ever going to hook it up on the street. My boss has a 69 Coronet with a Hellcat motor and all it does is make smoke. Without ABS or traction control (which works through the ABS), active suspension, and possibly a transmission that works with the engine, I really don't see how you could maximize the potential. Not to mention the chassis improvements it would take to keep one of the classics from wadding up in a ball if it ever did hook up. I have a 2015 Scat Pack with the 392 (485 hp) and one reason I got in instead of a Hellcat is that it's plenty fast enough for nearly anything you want to do on the street (plus nearly $30k lower sticker price and cheaper on tires, brakes, insurance, and gas). I honestly don't even see the point in "old school" big blocks with more than 500 hp on the street. At least the new ones will have decent idle and not overheat at those power levels...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

flyinlow

Quote from: Troy on November 01, 2018, 02:38:02 PM
IMHO... tMy boss has a 69 Coronet with a Hellcat motor and all it does is make smoke.
Troy

Wish my boss had a hellcrate Coronet.

Kern Dog

This engine is for guys that have stereos that go to E L E V E N.

myk

Yup, overkill but that's what's cool about it. 

Personally, if I had about 400 to the crank in my car I'd be happy.   I know my limitations,...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

c00nhunterjoe

I can get 1,000 to the ground, and would love it. Ive got 700ish going to the ground on a 9" tire. Wouldnt take much to get 300 more down. Can be done without tubbing it too. But your idea of a street car vs mine probably differs

69wannabe

I figure i'm between 500 and 550hp at flywheel with my charger and it's more than enough to move my car around, and around, and around, well you get the picture.. LOL  I actually agree that 500 is good HP for the street and more than enough to play with. I had to learn how to drive the car all over again after doing the stroker kit and then again after adding the stealth heads which made alot more difference than I expected. I love the way my charger runs out and it still cruises around at slower speeds too but if anything ever happened to the 493 I think I would go back to a stock stroke 440 with the stealth heads and still have plenty of power to play with. 1000 hp is useless unless you just want to be able to say I have a 1000 hp engine in my car. Just my opinion of course...

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: 69wannabe on November 02, 2018, 08:42:09 PM
I figure i'm between 500 and 550hp at flywheel with my charger and it's more than enough to move my car around, and around, and around, well you get the picture.. LOL  I actually agree that 500 is good HP for the street and more than enough to play with. I had to learn how to drive the car all over again after doing the stroker kit and then again after adding the stealth heads which made alot more difference than I expected. I love the way my charger runs out and it still cruises around at slower speeds too but if anything ever happened to the 493 I think I would go back to a stock stroke 440 with the stealth heads and still have plenty of power to play with. 1000 hp is useless unless you just want to be able to say I have a 1000 hp engine in my car. Just my opinion of course...

Unless you are out to have some street outlaws type fun... lol. In all honestly, 1000 hp in my area is barely enough to hang with the "locals" we have some SERIOUSLY ignorant cars in my town. And they are all street legal and driven. I cant compete with them and im borderline 9s in the 1/4. One guy has a nova station wagon, full interior, sound proofing, ice cold ac, and it runs 6s in the 1/4. Yes, 6 second 1/4 mile..... and he drives it almost as a daily car..... so i guess what im getting at is build what you want or what you need and dont give 2 craps about what other people think. Have fun with your car the way you want to.

https://youtu.be/oPsrxTFTr9k

BSB67

I would gladly take 1000 hp in a street friendly package.  :Twocents:

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: BSB67 on November 03, 2018, 11:29:19 AM
I would gladly take 1000 hp in a street friendly package.  :Twocents:

Indeed. Frank's wagon i posted the link to puts 1600 to the wheels and is cruise friendly. Does dragweek with it and more. Wish i had that. Lol.

BDF

c00nhunterjoe

Insane 4 doors and wagons are king of the street and track in my area.

Q5XX29

That Nova wagon is pretty sweet. Same story, even here in South Dakota. Guys running twin-turbo'd LSs, 2JZ's, Ford Mod motors all over the place, running 7,8,9-second cars on the street. Gotta love modern technology. My 8-second Hemi Dart is (to me) a hairy enough ride; I can't imagine a 6-second car, on the street no less. I'm not normally into the restomod thing, but this Hellephant sure has me pondering the possibilities. With today's tire compounds/options and suspension options, getting the power to the ground isn't as difficult as it used to be.
dakota_gt on Instagram

c00nhunterjoe

The coolest thing here is the majority of the sick-fast cars are old school. We do have some newer stuff but most of them are bought not built- demons hellcats shelbys and such.