News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The "Hellephant"...a new 426 Hemi crate motor

Started by draftingmonkey, November 01, 2018, 04:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

draftingmonkey

Saw this article on a new 426 Supercharged Mopar Crate HEMI Engine and Kit showcased in a 1968 Dodge "Super Charger" Concept car at SEMA. Thought some folks may be a tad bit interested.
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/mopar-hellephant-426-hemi-crate-engine-to-have-1000-horsepower/

Lennard

Check the different forums... there are several topics on it already.  ;)

4cruzin

1000 HP street car may be a little of an overkill . . . IMO.   Although it is about the same price as the hellcat, I think the hellcat is a better choice . . . For a street car anyways . . .

:cheers:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Kern Dog

Is that 1000 HP on E85 or regular old 92 octane??
700 HP is surely next to impossible to hook up on the street. The 2015 and later cars with this engine have traction control (With the automatic) but our cars do not. How the heck could you put that power to use? I'm not against the idea, I just wonder at what point do you say "That is way too much power for me"!

alfaitalia

That sort of power is way too much for anyone to use on the street in reality particularly in the small, over crowded uk...but since when did that matter. You have not got to use it all the time just because it's there. That's the beauty of a supercharged engine...lots of power low down too, where you can use it. There are many high horse engines on the streets here..how many are often driven in anger...not many...but it's nice to know it's there. Ever ridden a modern 190-200 brake superbike? They have more horses than kilos of weight....you can hold the throttle full open for more than a couple of seconds without destroying the speed limit. Does that stop them being everywhere?...no.

The Maximus Charger is 2000 brake isn't it? Just1000 horses...pah!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

303 Mopar

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 02, 2018, 11:26:52 PM
Is that 1000 HP on E85 or regular old 92 octane??
700 HP is surely next to impossible to hook up on the street. The 2015 and later cars with this engine have traction control (With the automatic) but our cars do not. How the heck could you put that power to use? I'm not against the idea, I just wonder at what point do you say "That is way too much power for me"!

The Hellephant runs on pump gas.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Challenger340

IMO, for something someone actually intends to drive on a regulat basis ? even with Traction Control, the co-efficient of friction between the tires to nomal street asphalt is very simply not there, rendering the 1,000hp a moot point for most.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

alfaitalia

Do you have super slippery roads over their or something? Lol. Im not saying 1000 horse cars are everywhere over hear...but they are about. I personally know of two, one is a guy with a 1200 horse Skyline R34...and it's converted to rear wheel drive....perfectly streetable. Now obviously if he dumped the lot from standstill then it would just be a machine for turning tyres into smoke...but you don't drive a car like that on the road.....it's the public highway....not a drag strip (where ironically it might be too much power without serious chassis/suspension mods!). Some on here must think the throttle is more of an on and off switch than a variable device. If you don't push that right hand peddle too car...it does not need to deliver all the horses at once. That said it would great fun to smoke Charger tyres FROM 120 mph like that Skyline can...lol! So yes a 1000 brake car be fun on the street...just save the 8 second attempts for the track if you want to live long enough to enjoy it!.....

Kern Dog

Who has been going 100 mph and actually broken traction ? No way in hell I'd want to risk that!

alfaitalia

Never in a car...but I lost traction on a bike once (tuned Yamaha FZR1000 EXUP) at just under 170 by shutting the throttle too quickly.....unpleasant to say the least. That was on the M25 (London's orbital motorway) at about 1 in the morning on the way home from my girlriend  of the time in about 91/92. It was the first time I ever had it flat out. You don't forget stuff like that!

darbgnik

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 04, 2018, 09:27:53 PM
Who has been going 100 mph and actually broken traction ? No way in hell I'd want to risk that!

I've lost traction at 85 mph with a paltry 650hp in a sub 3200lb car with cold R compound track day tires. Good thing about it happening at that speed is that inertia keeps it going straight, pretty good.  :smilielol:
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Mike DC

QuoteI've lost traction at 85 mph with a paltry 650hp in a sub 3200lb car with cold R compound track day tires. Good thing about it happening at that speed is that inertia keeps it going straight, pretty good. 

3200 lbs with 650 HP  =  4.9 lbs per HP. 

That's 3800 lbs (a classic Charger) with almost 775 HP, or 4400 lbs (a new Hellcat) with 900 HP.